1195 users online (219 members and 976 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre

Post What would you rebut? Discuss rebuttal here

What do YOU think the prosecution will use in the rebuttal case? Discuss it here:

At the end of the defense case, the prosecution or plaintiff is given the opportunity to present evidence in rebuttal. Whether to allow this evidence is in the trial judge's discretion. Rebuttal evidence is evidence that tends to explain, refute, counteract, or disprove evidence introduced in the defendant's case-in-chief. A prosecutor or plaintiff may not go into new matters that don't contradict the evidence or inferences raised by the defense, nor simply repeat evidence presented in the case-in-chief.
    http://www.boulder-bar.org/bar_media...rial/12.8.html

Rebuttal witnesses cannot be used to clarify evidence offered in the case in chief
    http://federalevidence.com/blog/2008...red-case-chief

What is the Rebuttal phase of a criminal trial? - YouTube
    Last edited by KateB; 05-17-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Travis' got a gun

For SURE this will be rebutted imhoo.

Most likely he will have the friend testify that went to the range with him.

Arias version of how and where Travis was shot

I am thinking this will be rebutted by the ME and perhaps the blood spatter analyst

1) there was no stipulation
    2) the trajectory did not match
    3) the round landed on top of blood
    4) most likely the spatter does not match that location for a shot (in that area of the bathroom)

I told Matt everything, he was like a brother, and he saw the bruises

If Matt does not take the stand for the defense he will be called to rebut Arias' testimony (he is the only witness to seeing marks per Arias). He is also will testify, most likely, that Arias was trying to tamper with his testimony/tampering with a witness.

camera was dropped while in deletion mode per Arias

I think Juan can rebut all of this camera/picture nonsense by calling the camera expert to testify to how the camera works to delete and take pictures. This camera could not snap off unintentional pictures if it was dropped in delete mode

Travis was yelling, talking, moving, and grabbing at my clothes after I shot him

oh fgs I hope he rebuts this with the ME. No way he was doing any such thing after he was shot thru the frontal lobe

mental health expert to rebut domestic violence/ptsd reasons for lying

guessing here: but I think the state will call their mental health expert to provide another reason for Arias to lie the way she does (esp as there is an absence of any corroborating evidence of abuse)

my hair was NOT blonde and there were no car mats in my rental!

I think we may see the car guy again. He goes over the cars with a fine toothed comb and I am sure he has a checklist of what was in the car when it was rented to Arias.

I can also see Juan showing him the picture of her mug shot and asking if her hair was a different color... then showing him another picture of her with blonde hair and him matching it up.

<kinda scary considering that Juan can rebut any of the defense CIC which includes 8 complete days of Arias' testimony! >

There was rope there I swear (those pesky little fibers found at crime scene)

hopefully Juan could come up with some sort of rebuttal for the fibers. Arias claims it is rope and she took it with her. Hopefully they can rebut that rope carp and tie the fiber to one of the bedding items, etc.

(fwiw I have never seen rope have fibers that are one inch long <belch>)

the rope story is just another example of her trying to make the forensics fit her story vs the truth of the matter
    Last edited by nursebeeme; 03-01-2013 at 02:18 PM.

There is simply not enough TIME for all of your actions to have happened Arias!

I hope and pray that Juan rebuts the time of the murder that arias claimed on the stand. I kind of hope that he let her ramble on and lock herself into her latest version because he has something up his sleeve..

I am sort of hoping he has some sort of reenactment with a stopwatch (not sure if that is possible)

here is some info I posted on the other thread about diaphragm spasm (loosing your breath). It takes as long to just recover from that as the entire murder sequence did fwiw

http://mentalfloss.com/article/12717...nocked-out-you

it takes minutes to recover from a diaphragm spasm (getting the wind knocked out of you)

too bad she has to fit this fight of epic proportions into a less-than-two-minute period of time (which includes lots of running, jumping on shelves, loading guns, and stabbing someone over 27 times and dragging them back down a hallway)

I only ever take about 200 in cash with me on trips

rebuttal: bank records and deposits

I definitely think the trajectory of the bullet will come into play in rebuttal. No way does her story line up with the evidence. It was more of an execution style.

Nurse, maybe you can tell us: if someone were to receive a bullet wound the way Travis did, would they be able to utter complete sentences? I figured he'd have blood gushing out of his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by askeptikalhippo View Post
    I definitely think the trajectory of the bullet will come into play in rebuttal. No way does her story line up with the evidence. It was more of an execution style.

Nurse, maybe you can tell us: if someone were to receive a bullet wound the way Travis did, would they be able to utter complete sentences? I figured he'd have blood gushing out of his mouth.
    absolutely not. (it was thru the frontal lobe)

(I concur with the ME's testimony.. he wouldn't be able to move let alone speak and attack her and rip at her clothes)

**I sooooo hope they have a someone with a medical background on the jury... from what katiecoolady is posting from the courtroom one of the jurors was taking a lot of notes during the gun testimony so hopefully someone on the jury also has a lot of knowledge of handguns and knows she couldn't load the gun and fire on the guy at that trajectory the way she was claiming.. utter bunk)

I just hope there is one person on the jury who has had the breath knocked out of them. They will know what she said is not possible. When it happened to me I was down a good while.
    Not sure I am using this thread right, So please let me know if I am not on the right track.

My hope is that he rebuts more about the pristine shape of the closet and makes more of that if she presses that that is where the fight started and where she got the gun. We all know no struggle took place there. No linebacker hit.
    I played many a football game in my day. All brothers, they don't care if you are a girl. When you take a hit like that, You are down. Especially in that closet. He would have hit her and pushed her into the wall.

I wonder if some of the things he left open ended was so she could make more of a mess of it on redirect and he could pummel her again.
    Atticus Finch: “You never really understand a person . . . until you consider things from his point of view.” To Kill A Mockingbird

All my posts are my opinion only.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast