1036 users online (212 members and 824 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PA - Entire school district locked down because someone misheard a Fresh Prince lyric

Entire School District Locked Down Because Someone Misheard A Fresh Prince Lyric (Deadspin)
    ---
    Police said a worker calling to confirm a doctor's appointment with an Ambridge High School student heard the theme song to the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" when she attempted to call. The worker said she called police when she misheard the lyrics — which she claimed said "shooting people outside of school."

The actual lyrics to the song say "shooting some b-ball outside of school."

The call to 911 forced the entire district into lockdown for about 30 minutes and police said they detained the 19-year-old student for three hours while searching his locker, before determining that it was all one big misunderstanding.
    ---
    more, with a video, at the link

From the video: "The police say that teenager has learned his lesson..."
    Which lesson would that be?
    That any day you can mind your own business doing nothing wrong and get gunned down as a school shooter?

SO glad I was in middle school back when this song was playing, and not now - no one thought to call police on us...

Love that pic of Wil Smith, Ausgirl! Perfect!
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

OH JEEZ LOUISE!

Don't you think they would have recognised the tune?

How tone deaf do you have to be before you mistake one of the most famous theme songs ever with a death threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    That any day you can mind your own business doing nothing wrong and get gunned down as a school shooter?
    He probably learned to transfer to a less insane school

I had to revisit this thread because I've had an awful day, and this story plus the look on Wil's face makes me laugh and laugh.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Detained him for 3 hours?! Wouldn't they just listen to his voice mail message...hear that it's a song...hear that it's a famous theme song...and hear that it doesn't say what the receptionist thought it said?

And even if she didn't recognize the theme song, and misunderstood the lyrics...it is so freakin' upbeat. Did this woman really think someone would put such a catchy, upbeat song as their voicemail and then go and shoot up a school?

Hey Gardenlady... comfort yourself with this. At least your day didn't involve getting detained and questioned for 3 hours for the theme song on your voicemail!

Also I hope your tomorrow is better than your bad day today!

Lol, poor kid. You would think in the first three MINUTES of that questioning session someone would go, "wait a second, the voicemail is talking about shooting basketballs into hoops, not kids outside of school" and dismiss the entire thing. I mean what the heck went on for those three hours?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    You have to read some of the comments on the story...had me cackling out loud!!!

P.S. 19 and still hin high school? OK

P.P.S. Did I hear the story mention that the doctor's office mentioned the person they called had a speech impediment or was being treated for one? Not only are they now subject to a lawsuit now for unlawful search and seizure, harrassment, but also a direct violation of HIPPA laws!!!
    Everything I post without a supporting link is always JMO.

So, he's a grown man still in school trying to graduate obviously after probably flunking one year. Then, a receptionist calls the law on him and cops say they hope HE learned his lesson. Are they saying he deliberately changed some wording? I hope he changes doctors.

Bahaha the comments...

Pittsburgh sounds dangerous. If my nephew lived there I would seriously urge them to consider moving in with my affluent brother and his family in Bel Air.

4chan will be having a field day with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    ^^^ this, Donjeta. Thank you.

How about, "police say the nervous and overreacting caller has learned her lesson."

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    So, he's a grown man still in school trying to graduate obviously after probably flunking one year.
    Here, there are usually about 15 or so kids that do graduate when they are 19. This is because some kids don't 'pass' KINDERGARTEN. They are held back into a 'junior first' grade class because the kindergarten teacher thinks they need a little extra time learning basic things. The kids that are held back aren't in special ed or anything. Quite a few of them that I was in school with were in honors classes in highschool. One won a top award because he was a good wrestler in a state competition.

If a kid failed a highschool grade, they'd probably just drop out.

I wonder what rock that woman lived under. That theme song is legendary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast