689 users online (77 members and 612 guests)  

Websleuths News

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

OH - Photojournalist as a witness: Domestic Violence

This story angered me so much that I couldn't post this after initially reading it last night. I was literally sick to my stomach.

I don't think she should have intervened between the two adults (and 911 had been called by someone else), but she should have taken that child out of there rather than continuing to take pictures. (I don't understand how anyone could continue to shoot under those circumstances anyway. I know she has defended what she did, but I think posting those pictures is just glorifying it, exploiting someone's personal tragedy, especially those children whose identities are now public.)

I'm livid.

http://lightbox.time.com/2013/02/27/...id=lf%7Caround
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    This story angered me so much that I couldn't post this after initially reading it last night. I was literally sick to my stomach.

I don't think she should have intervened between the two adults (and 911 had been called by someone else), but she should have taken that child out of there rather than continuing to take pictures. (I don't understand how anyone could continue to shoot under those circumstances anyway. I know she has defended what she did, but I think posting those pictures is just glorifying it, exploiting someone's personal tragedy, especially those children whose identities are now public.)

I'm livid.

http://lightbox.time.com/2013/02/27/...id=lf%7Caround
    I would have called 911 again and hopefully tried to have gotten the kiddo out...intervening in any sort of violence can get yourself hurt and unable to help the one you are trying to help sometimes. But her callous "my photojournalist's instincts jumped in" really really bothered me....the sanctity of human life didn't jump in at all. Taking pictures sure did.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
    I would have called 911 again and hopefully tried to have gotten the kiddo out...intervening in any sort of violence can get yourself hurt and unable to help the one you are trying to help sometimes. But her callous "my photojournalist's instincts jumped in" really really bothered me....the sanctity of human life didn't jump in at all. Taking pictures sure did.
    I would've scooped the girl up and ran outside, calling 911 once safely away. I just couldn't sit there and document someone physically abusing another person, especially with a young child watching it all.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

As frustrating as it is, taking someone's child away is kidnapping, no matter the circumstance. As the article states, there were other housemates who would be in a better position to remove the child to safety.

actual law enforcement officers have told me — that physically intervening would have likely only made the situation worse, endangering me, and further endangering Maggie

Read more: http://lightbox.time.com/2013/02/27/...#ixzz2MVtIoHv4

She made the call to document the incident which is a valuable tool in a court. She did what she could, given the volatility of the situation. Domestic violence calls are the most dangerous for LE, compared to other types of calls; the risk would be the same for onlookers.

IMHO

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

What is most shocking to me is that Shane got physically abusive with Maggie right in front of the photog, full well knowing she was there documenting them, their life and possibly photographing the entire incident.

I too would have gotten the child out of the vicinity where she would not be witnessing and then, if I were a photo journalist, I would ahve gone back in and continued documenting the abuse with my camera.

If that was my instinct as a photog, I would have at least been gathering evidence.

So I get the outrage about not intervening to try to stop the violence but I may not have either in this instance.

I can AND DO fault her for not getting that child out of the room/house though. I have a really hard time imagining me being able to be disconnected enough from the immediacy of the situation to simply sit there, clicking away, without first getting that child the hell out.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

This is so tame - obviously some have no clue what domestic VIOLENCE really is.

The friend who called police should have gotten the little girl out. Was this journalist out at the bar with this couple? This doesn't seem like a very good abuse story. The neglectful mom took up with an addict ex con soon after separating from her husband and now she's back with her husband. This should be a child abuse and neglect story. It almost looks fake.
    Last edited by txsvicki; 03-04-2013 at 01:16 PM.

I saw this story, and really, what makes me most sad and angry is that overwhelmingly, commenters seem to be more upset with the journalist, or with the victim, than they are with the abuser.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    It may not be on par with the extreme level of DV that some people experience, but it's nonetheless disturbing for someone who has never been exposed to DV at all.

When the abuser--and make no mistake that he alone is at fault--is shoving that woman against a stove and making her choose whether to be beaten in the kitchen or talk privately, there's no doubt he'd follow through. Because this probably isn't the first time he's done this, and it won't be the last.

And that's what makes this story important: For the friends and loved ones of those currently trapped in DV situations, it could be a real wake-up call about the escalating danger of remaining with the abuser.
    pet me, feed me, pet me, feed me, pet me, feed me

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    sorry, but on this I must disagree. DV almost never starts with the woman hospitalized, broken bones, etc. These two have been together a matter of months. He is already laying his hands on her, in front of witnesses, one a photog.

DV escalates over time. So to call this tame I think is not correct. Call it a beginning, that is what it is. If this had not been witnessed it would be continuing and escalating to more and more violent attacks. Who knows, she may still be with him so for all we know it is escalating as we speak.

To say that others don't know what REAL DV is is rather insulting. I have read your posts on here for a few years now and have agreed with quite a few, but on this one, I must disagree.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

The article says the woman is now back with her husband in Alaska if I read it correctly.