1549 users online (311 members and 1238 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,937

    KY - Juanita Ritchie, 38, Dwarf, 1 Nov 1966

    Juanita Ritchie:



    It appears after all this time the authorities are actively searching for Juanita thanks to the continued efforts of her family. Here is an article:

    http://hazard-herald.com/pages/full_...20&id=20181300

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    238
    You really hope that this brings some closure for the family after all of these years. Just a couple of questions. Why was the Kentucky State Police involved in the initial investigation rather than the Perry County Sheriff's Office? In all respect to the family, why didn't they put pressure put on the K.S.P. for not doing more about this at the time? Someone from K.S.P. making a couple of phone calls and writing a letter for a missing mother of six? That's just simple desk work and pretty weak.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
    Why was the Kentucky State Police involved in the initial investigation rather than the Perry County Sheriff's Office?
    Back then most rural county sheriff offices in Kentucky only had a sheriff and a couple of deputies in their department.

    They didn't have the kind of resources, such as detectives, crime lab, or manpower that the Kentucky State Police had.

    The Kentucky State Police had statewide jurisdiction and county sheriff offices only had jurisdiction in their own county.

    Years ago in Kentucky, most local law enforcement agencies in Kentucky didn't take a missing person report if the missing person was an adult on account that an adult was old enough to go anywhere they wanted and there wasn't anything they could do about it if an adult went missing.

    That's why there is an awful lot of adult folks in Kentucky that haven't been reported as missing by local law enforcement agencies years ago.

    They're not listed as missing on any missing persons databases, and they are still missing to this day.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    238
    Thank you for the information.

    In questioning the jurisdiction of the KSP over the county sheriff, I noted that Juanita Ritchie lived in Perry County and the last place she was seen was in that county as well. As such, I was reminded of the disappearance of Melanie Flynn some years later in Lexington. In the book that I read about that, it noted the KSP did not have immediate jurisdiction to be involved and the initial investigation was handled by Lexington Metro Police. KSP later became involved in the case after Ms. Flynn's purse was found along the Kentucky River near Camp Nelson.

    You do hope something now comes of this matter after all of these years.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    590

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    1,115
    Seems that with technology and such, that another better search can be done on the well. I have read about this case elsewhere and it is always in the back of my mind for some reason.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,337
    Isn't there a case of an unidentified woman found in a well in Ohio? I don't remember the year found or exact location. Could it be near where Juanita went missing over the boarder? Can't think of the case name. There's a thread on Websleuths.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Owutatangledweb View Post
    Isn't there a case of an unidentified woman found in a well in Ohio? I don't remember the year found or exact location. Could it be near where Juanita went missing over the boarder? Can't think of the case name. There's a thread on Websleuths.
    Yes there is a case of an unidentified woman that was found in a well in Lawrence County, Ohio in April 1981. That case is known as the Belle in the Well.

    Her body was found a few days before Buckskin Girl was also found in April 1981 in Miami County, Ohio.


    Here is the link to the Websleuths thread Belle in the Well:


    OH - Dobbstown, 'Belle in the Well' WhtFem UP6259, 30-60, in cistern, Apr'81


    https://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...cistern-Apr-81


    The area where Juanita Ritchie went missing in November 1966 is 128 miles from where the body of the unidentified woman was found in a well in April 1981.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by nerosleuth View Post
    Yes there is a case of an unidentified woman that was found in a well in Lawrence County, Ohio in April 1981. That case is known as the Belle in the Well.

    Her body was found a few days before Buckskin Girl was also found in April 1981 in Miami County, Ohio.


    Here is the link to the Websleuths thread Belle in the Well:


    OH - Dobbstown, 'Belle in the Well' WhtFem UP6259, 30-60, in cistern, Apr'81


    https://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...cistern-Apr-81


    The area where Juanita Ritchie went missing in November 1966 is 128 miles from where the body of the unidentified woman was found in a well in April 1981.
    Thanks Nerosleuth! Good to see you. Haven't seen you in awhile. Can always count on your good memory. Unlike my CRS memory.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 01:29 AM
  2. Dwarf stripper gets bride-to-be pregnant at bachelorette party
    By LinasK in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2014, 03:17 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM
  4. Dwarf gets penis caught in vacuum cleaner.
    By Shazza in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 05:01 AM
  5. Nicole Ritchie DUI
    By michelle in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Tags for this Thread