810 users online (137 members and 673 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MD - 7yr old suspended for shaping his pastry like a gun

A 7-year-old Maryland boy was suspended from school for two days for shaping a breakfast pastry into what his teacher thought looked like a gun, according to his father.

"All I was trying to do was turn it into a mountain but, it didn't look like a mountain really and it turned out to be a gun [kind of]," Josh told the station.

A letter was sent home with students explaining that "a student used food to make an inappropriate gesture," the station reported.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/02...est=latestnews

At Park Elementary school, Josh was enjoying his breakfast pastry when he decided to try and shape it into a mountain. Josh said, "It was already a rectangle and I just kept on biting it and biting it and tore off the top and it kinda looked like a gun but it wasn't."

Josh's dad received a phone call from the school saying that Josh has been suspended for two days because he took his breakfast pastry and fashioned it into a gun.

But Josh's dad is not happy saying, "I would almost call it insanity. I mean with all the potential issues that could be dealt with at school, real threats, bullies, whatever the real issue is, it's a pastry.., Ya know?"

Josh just wishes he could go back to class, but maintains a good sense of humor through the whole debacle saying, "I didn't get to eat all my breakfast, so, really I am still hungry."
    http://foxbaltimore.com/news/feature...l#.UTLhVTCcevQ

Awh jeez. Poor kid!

It's like some kind of collective mental breakdown. Paranoia abounds. The State as uber-parent.. My DD just told me a woman in the UK was arrested for leaving her kid in the yard while going inside to make him a sandwich. And look at the Fresh Prince malarkey that just happened..

It's nuts. Society needs to back the hell up and put its energy and resources to real criminals who are really hurting real people.

I think the same thing happened awhile back to another kid, also with food.

That's a bit ridiculous, at the most pull the kid aside and tell him that you can't do that... especially at 7, at that age they can't even be left home alone I doubt they understand the concept of why it's inappropriate to make a pastry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SpriteGal View Post
    I doubt they understand the concept of why it's inappropriate to make a pastry a gun.
    Yeah well a lot of adults can't understand the concept either! Pure idiocy!

pastries don't kill people. People kill people.

Seriously? We, as a country, need to get a grip and address the real problem. Criminals.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    I'm just floored. Has it really come to this? Even if he had done this on purpose --- a pastry gun? When will it stop? I wonder what these people would've thought about the things that I see/hear in the high school hallways of the school I work in. There wouldn't be anyone left to attend school...
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Telling the kids to stop playing with their food would have sufficed.

this is like the third case where a young child has been suspended from school because some object was shaped to loosely resemble a "gun"

Its insanity. Zero tolerance is idiocy and this is what it creates.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Why can't we ever have balance?! Obviously this kid shouldn't have been expelled smh
    Seeking Justice for those who can't. There has been justice for Jhessye!

So much stupidity in this world.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Wow, what a rediculous event It is! it's unbelievable that a child who is 7 years old can't go back home for two days just only for making a pastry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SpriteGal View Post

That's a bit ridiculous, at the most pull the kid aside and tell him that you can't do that... especially at 7, at that age they can't even be left home alone I doubt they understand the concept of why it's inappropriate to make a pastry a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post

Telling the kids to stop playing with their food would have sufficed.

I am appalled at what happened to this 7-yr old boy ... and his father. This is abuse of authority by that school administration.

My five yr-old GD and six yr-old GS are in separate prekindergarten classes at the same school and eat lunch at school. They are still in the stage of wanting to make shapes out of food on their plates. It doesn't bother me at home as long as they are eating. If at school, a shape turned out to be a gun -- they would not understand why they had done something wrong if confronted by a teacher.

IMHO, formal complaints should be filed against this teacher, principal, and any other school administrators involved with this child being expelled for two days. As well as the fact, that he could now be subjected to becoming a victim of bullying due to other children seeing what has happened to him.

The fact that a letter was sent out to parents concerning this incident also indicates harassment by the school administrators, IMO. I would check into filing a charge of harassment with LE and insist upon a written apology and that the record of the 2-day expulsion would be removed from my child's permanent school records. An attorney can advise you if needed.

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/feature...l#.UTLhVTCcevQ

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/02...est=latestnews

When I used to work in the office of an elementary school, one of my jobs was to be a 'proctor' during state testing. Every classroom had to have someone there during the testing to make certain the teacher is following the rules.

After taking the test the students were not allowed to talk or leave the room. All they could do was to doodle quietly on their binder paper. One of the things that I noticed, with amazement, EVERY year was this:

Little girls routinely drew flowers and sunshine and kittens. While almost every single boy drew weapons and wrote their names in block letters. LOL Seriously, almost all of the boys doodled by drawing guns and rifles. I thought it was so weird, but then I looked through my DS's scratch papers and found the same thing.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast