"Theories only" - thread

I think it's likely that LE and/or her parents have info they're not sharing (duh), specifically from early in the disappearance that marked it as unusual/ abnormal/ potentially crime-related. Quoting myself from the general discussion thread:
I haven't seen anything "official" as far as a timeline for these early hours/ days, so everything I've got in mind is complete speculation/ guess/ opinion. It could have gone something like:
- Parents expect a call and don't get one
- Parents are concerned, since she is so consistent with the calls (maybe even at a set time or they had planned a time, who knows), so they call her and can't get her*
- Parents can't get her so they call the hotel
- Hotel can't get her via room phone, maybe send someone to do a visual check*, also realize she hasn't checked out when supposed to and nobody has seen her leave.
- No sign of her so hotel and/or parents call LE

My hunch is that at one of the two points I've starred in this HYPOTHETICAL timeline, there were maybe additional indicators of a problem/ accident/ crime, which escalated things. Again, MOO

Possibly, her parents called her phone and got someone else answering it (this comes to mind because of the weird answer about her phone a detective gave in an early interview, saying they didn't want to talk about it) or got some sort of weird text message or something from her phone.

Possibly, there was also visual evidence of something off/ wrong in her room? Or maybe somebody working at the hotel DID mention something potentially sketchy to LE, but LE hasn't said anything about it because they're trying to protect that person?

Something that would have triggered a missing-persons deal really fast, is basically where I'm going with this.

That said, I have no idea how it works with designating someone a missing person so maybe it's normal to do so for an adult within 24 hours of the last time they were seen... :waitasec:

That said, I have no idea how it works with designating someone a missing person so maybe it's normal to do so for an adult within 24 hours of the last time they were seen... :waitasec:
Trimmed for space.

The missing person status, and the actions the authorities take, vary from situation to situation. For instance, Wikipedia has this to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_person#Legal_aspects

Also, I know of many cases where young women have been missing for weeks and the police essentially do nothing because the woman was a prostitute, drug addict, or had a habit of running away from home repeatedly.

In this case, it only took a couple of days for the police to be seriously looking into the situation, and a couple more to be holding a press conference explicitly stating that they found the circumstances suspicious. Perhaps they took her disappearance so seriously because of something they haven't disclosed, such as evidence found in her belongings, but they claimed it was only due to her lack of calls not being in line with her general character.

I believe it might also be related to the fact that she was from another country, which might alter the LAPD's protocol with these cases, and of course the fact that she was a young, cute, 'socially acceptable' female... which seems to often play some role in the authorities reactions to missing persons cases, and certainly does play a role in the media scrutiny.

I think it's likely that LE and/or her parents have info they're not sharing (duh), specifically from early in the disappearance that marked it as unusual/ abnormal/ potentially crime-related. Quoting myself from the general discussion thread:

Possibly, her parents called her phone and got someone else answering it (this comes to mind because of the weird answer about her phone a detective gave in an early interview, saying they didn't want to talk about it) or got some sort of weird text message or something from her phone.

Possibly, there was also visual evidence of something off/ wrong in her room? Or maybe somebody working at the hotel DID mention something potentially sketchy to LE, but LE hasn't said anything about it because they're trying to protect that person?

Something that would have triggered a missing-persons deal really fast, is basically where I'm going with this.

Maybe the unused ticket to Santa Cruz is what convinced them.

There's been so much discussion about transporting a body to the roof and into the water tank. In my opinion that just underlines the fact that such an undertaking would be complicated at the least.

But why are we not considering the easiest, most obvious explanation?

The most obvious explanation, in my opinion, is that EL proceeded to the top of the water tank alive, either through convincing, coercing, or forcing from another.

The police officer in the video states that he believed they didn't see reason to search inside the water tank because it was closed. Therefore, it seems most likely that they didn't investigate the top of the water tanks either.

If she was led up the red staircase to the red ladder and then from the roof of the small building to the water tanks, is it not possible that her scent wouldn't have been picked up by the dogs? Would the LAPD have lifted the dogs onto the roof of the two story building? If the water tanks weren't a consideration of theirs I can see how they may have neglected that area as well.

And finally, why were the police on the roof for that initial investigation? Did a scent from inside lead the dogs to either a fire escape or the rooftop doorway? I believe there was rain between her disappearance and the initial rooftop search. Is it possible that a scent led them to the roof but once on the roof any evidence of her presence had been washed away?

The more and more I look at this the more I think that she was led, convinced, coerced or forced, alive, to the top of the water tanks and was then either suffocated or forced alive into the tank.

I think the fact that the tank was most probably closed at the time of the initial rooftop investigation, as the officer stated, which makes it more likely that she did not go alone into that tank.

I've gone through a number of theories, but here is one. Elisa Lam was followed by someone, then entered the elevator, then the elevator failed her. That person came down from the roof or 15th floor and approached from the left. She exits the elevator and he gets her to raise her hands up and searches her.

Meanwhile someone else comes by to use the bathroom on the right. The guy on the left is distracted by this and this enables Elisa to go back in the elevator. Guy on left is aware of camera so does not follow. When elevator doesn't close, she comes out again and is grabbed by guy on left. Guy on right comes out of bathroom, and she gestures to him waving her arms for help. Because he's a long-term resident who has seen lots of stuff and had bad experiences with the police, he does not get involved and walks away. Elisa then gives up and is taken away by the guy on the left.

Very speculative, I know. But possible?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWS_AUNUzaM"]é�µç›¤æŸ¯å�—追追追ï¼�è—�å�¯å…’命案專題å*±å°Ž(三立新è�ž) - YouTube[/ame]

Watch 3:40-3:51

In this video the media shows her in a black hoodie taking a photo of herself in the mirror of the bathroom at the cecil hotel apparently, and their correlating the pattern of something she's wearing underneath her hoodie to another photo of her wearing something of the same pattern, confirming it is her. How did they get access to that photo of her? Anyone have any more information about the picture? Has this photo of her in a hoodie been discussed yet on here?

(edit: Not sure where this post would belong on here since the sleuthing threads are locked.)

I've gone through a number of theories, but here is one. Elisa Lam was followed by someone, then entered the elevator, then the elevator failed her. That person came down from the roof or 15th floor and approached from the left. She exits the elevator and he gets her to raise her hands up and searches her.

Meanwhile someone else comes by to use the bathroom on the right. The guy on the left is distracted by this and this enables Elisa to go back in the elevator. Guy on left is aware of camera so does not follow. When elevator doesn't close, she comes out again and is grabbed by guy on left. Guy on right comes out of bathroom, and she gestures to him waving her arms for help. Because he's a long-term resident who has seen lots of stuff and had bad experiences with the police, he does not get involved and walks away. Elisa then gives up and is taken away by the guy on the left.

Very speculative, I know. But possible?

Don't think so, otherwise she'd go to her right.

é�µç›¤æŸ¯å�—追追追ï¼�è—�å�¯å…’命案專題å*±å°Ž(三立新è�ž) - YouTube

Watch 3:40-3:51

In this video the media shows her in a black hoodie taking a photo of herself in the mirror of the bathroom at the cecil hotel apparently, and their correlating the pattern of something she's wearing underneath her hoodie to another photo of her wearing something of the same pattern, confirming it is her. How did they get access to that photo of her? Anyone have any more information about the picture? Has this photo of her in a hoodie been discussed yet on here?

(edit: Not sure where this post would belong on here since the sleuthing threads are locked.)

Was that photo taken at the Cecil hotel? It appeared in her blog before this incident took place. Had she visited the Cecil more than once? That would be important to know.

I think that she wrote something to the effect, "This is what I look like when I go out at night."

Someone noticed a pattern already:
Discovery of maid's body in water tank puts spotlight on its access.
No foolproof way to restrict HDB roof access
ONLY "authorised personnel" are given the key to the roof-access door of Block 686B, Woodlands Drive 73, but this can mean a number of people, ranging from lift-rescue personnel to workers of conservancy sub-contractors.

On Monday morning, residents of Block 686B noticed that their tap water was unnaturally frothy and discoloured.

Soon after, the body of 30-year-old Indonesian maid Ruliyawati was discovered in one of eight water tanks atop the 15-storey block. She worked for a family on the sixth floor.

<modsnip>
http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110518-279311.html

Original post in an earlier thread:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8890836&postcount=401"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013[/ame]

Ok, this is my theory on what i have read so far

There were many longer term residents of the hotel Cecil, so of which are registered sex offenders (not sure if I'm allowed to link but will pm a moderator to ask) and others with drug issues etc. The new owners of the hotel wanted to upgrade the hotel and it's image, displacing these residents. They would have found it difficult to find new housing so one of them (or more) killed this girl to tarnish the reputation of the hotel. The image of the hotel would have been effected, nobody would want to stay there after this recent tragedy and the residents would not have to move - MOO

My outlandish theory - someone is keeping this story quiet, someone with connections tied to her murder or friends with the person or persons who killed her.

Why do I say that? It seems odd that the no media person is digging deeper on this story. Only Chinese media seems interested in finding out more about this case. Even odder, we aren't getting much of a picture of Elisa Lam. It's like she popped up as a 21 year old, we know she has a family, was going to UBC, and decided she wanted to go on a trip. Not much is said about her upbringing, family life, her friends, etc... Unless I missed something. Most of the stories I've seen are about her in the last few months.

Any thoughts on why the media isn't digger deeper on this? Why there aren't any 'leaks' from the autopsy, for example? Or whether police are looking at persons of interest or leaning more towards death by misadventure?

My outlandish theory - someone is keeping this story quiet, someone with connections tied to her murder or friends with the person or persons who killed her.

Why do I say that? It seems odd that the no media person is digging deeper on this story. Only Chinese media seems interested in finding out more about this case. Even odder, we aren't getting much of a picture of Elisa Lam. It's like she popped up as a 21 year old, we know she has a family, was going to UBC, and decided she wanted to go on a trip. Not much is said about her upbringing, family life, her friends, etc... Unless I missed something. Most of the stories I've seen are about her in the last few months.

Any thoughts on why the media isn't digger deeper on this? Why there aren't any 'leaks' from the autopsy, for example? Or whether police are looking at persons of interest or leaning more towards death by misadventure?

Yeah, it's very unusual how hush-hush this case is.

The only reason I can think of for why there isn't much info about her upbringing, personal life, family, etc is because her family is so private and there might be some cultural barriers. And based on EL's blog and some online posts by an old friend of her's, it seems to me like she may not have had many close friends in the last couple of years. Maybe the ones she had are respecting the family? Just my thoughts, anyway.

I imagine the media is being stonewalled by the authorities about investigation details. It's the authorities that are so confusing. Does anyone remember a well-publicized potential murder investigation when the police were this quiet? It seems like more than just an investigative strategy, but again that's just a feeling.

One other thing...
In a way, it seems like ever since EL was discovered, she has been sort of objectified as the corpse behind the shocking 'corpse water' hotel, a situation that is maybe too off-putting even for our culture. And it doesn't help that she's a Chinese-Canadian girl, with the US media being notoriously biased toward white, female victims from the US. I also believe that the elevator video turned the case from 'cute Canadian girl missing in LA' into 'scary, creepy girl'... that might have also dehumanized EL in many people's eyes. Even if that's true, it doesn't explain the lack of information/coverage, but it's just an observation.
Ok, this is my theory on what i have read so far

There were many longer term residents of the hotel Cecil, so of which are registered sex offenders (not sure if I'm allowed to link but will pm a moderator to ask) and others with drug issues etc. The new owners of the hotel wanted to upgrade the hotel and it's image, displacing these residents. They would have found it difficult to find new housing so one of them (or more) killed this girl to tarnish the reputation of the hotel. The image of the hotel would have been effected, nobody would want to stay there after this recent tragedy and the residents would not have to move - MOO
That's a really creative perspective on it. Right out of a Tales from the Darkside episode or something.

could it be because the city could be found liable for forcing the hotel to keep the long term tenants, one or more of whom could have committed this crime, if one occurred?

One other thing...
In a way, it seems like ever since EL was discovered, she has been sort of objectified as the corpse behind the shocking 'corpse water' hotel, a situation that is maybe too off-putting even for our culture. And it doesn't help that she's a Chinese-Canadian girl, with the US media being notoriously biased toward white, female victims from the US. I also believe that the elevator video turned the case from 'cute Canadian girl missing in LA' into 'scary, creepy girl'... that might have also dehumanized EL in many people's eyes. Even if that's true, it doesn't explain the lack of information/coverage, but it's just an observation.

This.

And that's what initially drew me to this case, and even this web-site. She was represented as a bad taste in tourists' mouths. The MSM never seemed to go beyond that. I don't know if the investigation will be solved. But at least in the on-line community here, she is a human being no matter which theory we espouse.

The only reason I can think of for why there isn't much info about her upbringing, personal life, family, etc is because her family is so private and there might be some cultural barriers. And based on EL's blog and some online posts by an old friend of her's, it seems to me like she may not have had many close friends in the last couple of years. Maybe the ones she had are respecting the family? Just my thoughts, anyway.

I imagine the media is being stonewalled by the authorities about investigation details. It's the authorities that are so confusing. Does anyone remember a well-publicized potential murder investigation when the police were this quiet? It seems like more than just an investigative strategy, but again that's just a feeling.

One other thing...

That's a really creative perspective on it. Right out of a Tales from the Darkside episode or something.

Yes, that's too bad. I mean, the video coupled with the way she was found and the fact people were consuming the water really turned this into a horror show. It's hard to say whether she didn't have friends willing to talk to the media or if the media just didn't bother trying to find out who Elisa was.

One question that could be answered that would really help everyone with their theories is whether the police looked inside the water tanks or not when they did their search Feb 6th or so. They would have recorded that, why isn't there some intrepid reporter trying to find out. It would mean the difference between her being murdered and her having gone in their on her own. Little things they could be saying that I doubt would compromise the investigation, but its like there is some conspiracy of silence.

One other thing...
In a way, it seems like ever since EL was discovered, she has been sort of objectified as the corpse behind the shocking 'corpse water' hotel, a situation that is maybe too off-putting even for our culture.

Well said. It is the police clamping down for some reason. I ran across this video news story local to LA. The reporter said they had an interview scheduled with the LAPD but it was cancelled because they were told by higher ups to not talk about case at all. See around 1:48

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml8vhLlvHa0"]外国媒体连线LA报道 蓝可儿的æ*»å›* - YouTube[/ame]

I think the focus on water quality is not due to lack of empathy but rather the media has been shut out. What else can they focus on? I have never seen an investigation where police say "they do no know" so much.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back