1198 users online (236 members and 962 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Woman Dies After Nurse Refuses to do CPR

California woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

"A California retirement home is backing one of its nurses after she refused desperate pleas from a 911 operator to perform CPR on an elderly woman who later died, saying the nurse was following the facility's policy."

"Is there anybody that's willing to help this lady and not let her die," dispatcher Tracey Halvorson says on a 911 tape released by the Bakersfield Fire Department aired by several media outlets on Sunday."

"Not at this time," said the nurse, who didn't give her full name and said facility policy prevented her from giving the woman medical help."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/04...#ixzz2Mfr8Zfpn

hear the 911 call:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-911-call.html

Sorry that I posted the above thread in the wrong place....mods can you plz move this to "Up to the Minute"?

Iowa (again!), formerly Florida, Land of the Sun
    I don't agree with the independent living facility's policy on refusing to give cpr. I can understand it for other medical treatment, but what would be the reason to include cpr within the policy? I won't be surprised if the woman's family brings on a lawsuit.

Why hire a nurse if they are prevented by policy to provide the care for which they are trained? Why not just hire a manager and forget having a licensed nurse?

Just speculation but I would bet that in their advertisements I would almost bet that they advertise that they have medical staff. And it is probably hidden in the small print somewhere that they don't give all services.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I don't care about the policy.. What the heck kind of policy is this to begin with?
    All they (lawyers) are going to say if there is a lawsuit, is she signed the waiver when she moved in stating she was aware that she would not receive CPR.

Well, as one time working in the Health Care Field, I would break policy, esp. if I was a nurse. I would never deny care. (I was/am not a nurse) I just don't understand how one can let someone suffer and die.

I have noticed the last year the Medical Profession is rapidly changing and people just don't care. All the policies are changing from years ago. People are being denied care in all areas.

I just can't believe a story such as this one but this is the start of a new trend. Nobody wants any responsibility.
    How can we have a home such as this one with a "NO CPR Policy" when most of the residents are probably old and sick?

Goz

I didn't find a website for them, but I did find this.......

Within its Continuing Care Retirement Communities, Brookdale Senior Living provides Rehabilitation and Healthcare Centers, where professional staff provide compassionate medical care when needed. Whether for short-term rehabilitation, or for longer-term nursing care, our communities provide excellent services and attention that extends beyond the clinical details of recovery.
    https://www.ourparents.com/californi...enwood_gardens
    Check out the care options.
    Lots of negative comments there related to this.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    RESPECT + RESPONSIBILITY = REPUTATION

Me thinks that due to this senior living corporation's IRRESPONSIBLE policy that all RESPECT will be lost in their customer market thus rendering a very negative REPUTATION in their field.

'nuf said?

Having taken both my grandparents through their senior years (including dealing with assisted living facilities) this story just makes me

JMHO

JMHO

Iowa (again!), formerly Florida, Land of the Sun
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozgals View Post
    I don't care about the policy.. What the heck kind of policy is this to begin with?
    All they (lawyers) are going to say if there is a lawsuit, is she signed the waiver when she moved in stating she was aware that she would not receive CPR.

Well, as one time working in the Health Care Field, I would break policy, esp. if I was a nurse. I would never deny care. (I was/am not a nurse) I just don't understand how one can let someone suffer and die.

I have noticed the last year the Medical Profession is rapidly changing and people just don't care. All the policies are changing from years ago. People are being denied care in all areas.

I just can't believe a story such as this one but this is the start of a new trend. Nobody wants any responsibility.
    How can we have a home such as this one with a "NO CPR Policy" when most of the residents are probably old and sick?

Goz
    BBM
    I just wasn't sure if a policy like that could be legal in California. Even if it is legal, I would still think there could be some negligence involved. If the nurse isn't doing anything to help the resident, why wouldn't she try to find someone else to help while awaiting the arrival of medical personnel? Or does she have to stand "guard" so nobody but medical personnel attempts to administer CPR?
    I thought Good Samaritan laws were in place to stop people from looking the other way and try to help?
    So many questions...
    Last edited by Skagirl; 03-05-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spell check

I remember when it was close to the end for my father. He was in rehabilitation, and for some reason the subject of CPR came up. It was made clear to me that while the facility would call the ambulance/911, they could only give him oxygen by mask and no compressions would be done. I was startled, and while I didn't move him from the facility back to the hospital because of his living will and clear statements in writing that he didn't want to be brought back if there was no hope for him (and by then it was clear he was never going to come back to his life, even if he came home at some point), I remember asking about that, and they said that it was policy.

I was too distraught during this time, so didn't pursue it, but it was my experience that for some reason, RNs and LVNs are often prevented from performing CPR while the patient is in their facility.

I don't know why, and I completely disagree with it...and I would absolutely NEVER work at a place where this policy was practiced. But it seems that it's not just this one place in the news.

Gives me shudders.

Best-
    Herding Cats
    When you find yourself in the position to help somebody, do not feel burdened. Rather, feel happy and blessed because God is answering that person's prayer through you. In that moment, you are God's Angel - His door to reach through and bring light to someone who is struggling in the darkness.

Be God's Light. Be God's love. Be an answered prayer. Be God's Door.

Well a hospice wouldn't provide CPR either. I assume the patients signed a waiver or a DNR when they entered that facility.

If the family had been TOLD about this policy or received a written material stating as much they shouldn't have a leg to stand on.

If I were a nurse, it would be very difficult for me to work in an establishment where I would not be permitted to try, to the best of my training, to save a life. I would probably have nightmares if someone under my care died and I felt unable to help, due to policies, restrictions, etc.

Luckily, I'm not a nurse.

This person wasn't a nurse, despite what's been reported.

"The staffer was identified today as a resident services director, not a nurse as previously reported. The woman repeatedly rebuffed pleas from the 911 dispatcher during a seven minute call on Feb. 26 to give the woman CPR or to ask someone else to do it."
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/staff-r...ry?id=18648941
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    Why hire a nurse if they are prevented by policy to provide the care for which they are trained? Why not just hire a manager and forget having a licensed nurse?

Just speculation but I would bet that in their advertisements I would almost bet that they advertise that they have medical staff. And it is probably hidden in the small print somewhere that they don't give all services.
    The person wasn't a nurse. I am not sure they have medical training at all. It's hard to do a CPR on the elderly considering their ribs easily brake.
    They don't advertise that they have medical staff. In fact it seems the opposite is true.
    Just my opinion

Just unbelieable. Shame on that woman! Where is her decency? They would've had to fire me! I couldn't obey that policy.
    Last edited by Justiceforever; 03-05-2013 at 08:11 PM.
    "It seems our profound fascination with serial killers is matched by an equally profound lack of interest in their victims." - Vanessa Veselka

http://stoptheviolencemilwaukee.blogspot.com/

"This is a wonderful day. I have never seen this one ever before." Dr. Maya Angelou

F.L.Y. First love yourself!

I am not sure that we are talking about a DNR in this situation. I get the impression that this is a standard when you move into this particular facility, and that it applies to anyone who chooses to live there. It is an individuals right to choose to live in a facility where no sure measures are taken or, to sign a DNR requesting that no heroic measures be taken. I am not exactly sure what the issue is. I am an R.N. who has worked as a Geriatric Care Manager. Unless I am mistaken, the patients wishes were followed. The wishes of the dispatcher do not over rule that.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast