1154 users online (234 members and 920 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CO dem scolds rape survivor

Every year hundreds of thousands of Americans use firearms to defend themselves from attackers of one kind or another. Despite the state’s reputation as a frontier state, Colorado’s Democrats are hell-bent on disarming law-abiding citizens and, in particular, women, from being able to defend themselves with a firearm. The latest is state Sen. Evie Hudak who, at a hearing on banning concealed carry on college campuses, told rape survivor Amanda Collins that having a gun would not have done her any good. Collins had just shared her story of survival. Democrat Hudak berated her in response.

I just want to say, statistics are not on your side, even if you had had a gun. You said that you were a martial arts student, I mean person, experience in taekwondo, and yet because this individual was so large and was able to overcome you even with your skills, and chances are that if you had had a gun, then he would have been able to get than from you and possibly use it against you …

Or she could have shot him, or cornered him and called 911 to get the police to come pick him up. A pistol can be a great equalizer in the face of a threat.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/03/05...-on-your-side/

You can make this stuff up but unfornutately you don't have to.

I took a year of tae kwon do when it was assigned to my students. It is as much "dance" (in Western terms) as martial art. Unless they teach something very different at higher levels, I doubt it would help one to fight off an attacker.

I find it pretty disgusting that rape and rape victims are being used to further a political agenda, on both sides of the debate.

I watched Senator Evie Hudak's response in the video at the OP link.

I didn't see her berating the victim. She seemed sympathetic to the victim's story and all I heard was she stated some statistics.

After her recitation of some statistics, the victim then again spoke---but if there was a response by the Senator it wasn't on the video.

I'm not getting into the gun debate or the politics of this I'm just stating I didn't see this victim berated by what was presented in the video attached to the link.

ETA: I don't know who the male senator was but his response is the one that didn't sit well with me.

I am feeling a little dubious about the source, to be frank. I am more than willing to believe that there are fools on both sides of the aisle, but here is information on PJ Media-

PJ Media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it correct to state that it is a conservative and libertarian blog site?
    They call themselves citizen journalists. Interesting!
    Last edited by KateB; 06-13-2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Everything is turned into a gun debate or liberal/conservative argument nowadays. I don't mean here at WS, but comments all over the internet on news articles that don't even apply to politics. Even my family on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I watched Senator Evie Hudak's response in the video at the OP link.

I didn't see her berating the victim. She seemed sympathetic to the victim's story and all I heard was she stated some statistics.

After her recitation of some statistics, the victim then again spoke---but if there was a response by the Senator it wasn't on the video.

I'm not getting into the gun debate or the politics of this I'm just stating I didn't see this victim berated by what was presented in the video attached to the link.

ETA: I don't know who the male senator was but his response is the one that didn't sit well with me.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2814716.html

Senator Hudak's apology, and I agree with you, the male senator's remarks were more insensitive to me than Hudak's.
    "Crack up the music and dance!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I took a year of tae kwon do when it was assigned to my students. It is as much "dance" (in Western terms) as martial art. Unless they teach something very different at higher levels, I doubt it would help one to fight off an attacker.
    I think you missed the point entirely. The senator was equating tae kwon do with a gun. Do you doubt a gun could fight of an attacker?

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    I think you missed the point entirely. The senator was equating tae kwon do with a gun. Do you doubt a gun could fight of an attacker?
    Yes. I do. I'm a petite woman and one reason I'd never carry a gun for self defense is, IMO, the likelihood that someone could wrestle it away and use it against me.
    all my comments are just my opinion. jmho. moo. etc. etc.

So you've just accepted that you're helpless? Well, this woman didn't and the senator shouldn't have made that judgement for her. If you're petite he wouldn't need the gun to kill you, if he wants to kill you he will. You've given up even having a fighting chance IMO. But it's your call, not the senator's, which is the point, and it's just stupid to equate tae kwan do with a gun for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by gxm View Post
    Yes. I do. I'm a petite woman and one reason I'd never carry a gun for self defense is, IMO, the likelihood that someone could wrestle it away and use it against me.
    If your plan is to beat them with the gun then yeah...they will wrestle it away from you.

If the plan is to shoot them with the gun, several times at a few yards then I wish em luck if they try to "wrestle it away". Plus many women (myself included) prefer the shorter handguns just in case, god forbid, the attacker DID manage to grab it. Wrestling a short muzzled gun means their fingers are covering the opening of the barrel which means start pulling the trigger and watch their fingers get blown off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    If your plan is to beat them with the gun then yeah...they will wrestle it away from you.

If the plan is to shoot them with the gun, several times at a few yards then I wish em luck if they try to "wrestle it away". Plus many women (myself included) prefer the shorter handguns just in case, god forbid, the attacker DID manage to grab it. Wrestling a short muzzled gun means their fingers are covering the opening of the barrel they will likely lose a few fingers if they managed to grab it.
    I can't believe her reply either. Petite women shouldn't carry guns because they're too small?

Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    I find it pretty disgusting that rape and rape victims are being used to further a political agenda, on both sides of the debate.
    yep yep yep. It is why I won't be commenting on this one.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

qUOTE=tlcya;9002027]yep yep yep. It is why I won't be commenting on this one.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    Is that what that senator was doing? Thanks for pointing that out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast