IL - Cook Co. to begin posting photos of unclaimed bodies online

SurfieTX

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this. Good idea?

CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -
For the first time, the Cook County medical examiner's office has posted photos of unclaimed bodies on their website in an effort to help identify them.

The program is generating some controversy because of the graphic images, but for the sake of people missing loved ones, this is a decision where the medical examiner believes the ends justify the means.

The site contains information about when the bodies were found and where, along with as much identifying information as possible—including, in some cases--photos of the victim's face.

"We're hoping that that photo can trigger somebody's memory, that you know, that person grew up down the street from me, or that person used to live nearby and I know where their mom is," Cook County Medical Examiner Dr. Steve Cina says.

If there are other identifying images, as in tattoos, those are also posted. The images are also linked to NAMUS, a national unidentified persons database. That connection recently resulted in a Michigan family identifying their missing daughter.

Cina knows the images are graphic, but he makes no apologies. He did take some safeguards, though, making sure a warning page pops up before people see the pictures.

Read more: http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/2...otos-of-unclaimed-bodies-online#ixzz2MsxEwFgs

Read more: http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/2...otos-of-unclaimed-bodies-online#ixzz2MswpoPoQ

I think this is fantastic news. Every state/county should do this.

This will make it so much easier to ID them more quickly I would think.

I think its a great idea.

It will be a good source for the UID forum here at WS, that's for sure.

I wish all states would do this. Seeing a real photo of the person can really make a huge difference. The reconstruction images are rarely as spot on as shows like Bones would have you think.

Side note: any one else think it's ironic that the person you're supposed to contact if you have info regarding the UIDs is named Timothy Doe? I guess he chose the right career ;)

I think it is a good idea for the unidentified.. I hope it is a useful tool for the unclaimed. There we have to research and find family.. Sometimes it can get tedious. At time we have to start in the early census records and move forward. A lot of the families for their reasons have lost or did not want to have contact with their family members and some know they are deceased and will not claim or just don't care.. It is sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back