Hotel Cecil Rooftop Access Discussion

smeinzer

Reaction score
I am new to this site and was brought here by this case. Pretty cool! Thanks everyone for all your ideas... very interesting. I was a guest at Stay on Main, the "hostel" part of the Cecil hotel, from February 5th through the 8th on the same floor that Elisa was on and have a few insights that I thought I could add to this discussion.

First off, do not stay in this area of LA if you are girl by yourself. It is a very interesting area but can be really dangerous.

Accessing the roof
It is easy. I am a photographer and my brother and I went up onto the roof on the night of the 5th to see how the vantage point of the skyline was from there (not that great by the way). And yes... We shouldn't have been there, I know that, but we were and it was easy. There is a window that was open on the 15th floor that allowed access to the fire escape and was just a quick climb up a short ladder and there we were on the roof, and now we know that we were probably only a few feet from Elisa's body at one point. Pretty creepy...

Water pressure and quality
We experienced no strange tasting water or low water pressure from the 5th-8th.

Elevator out of service
The "Elevator 1" was out of service on the 7th and 8th. It was just stuck on the 7th floor. This is probably totally unrelated but I thought I'd mention it just in case there is something to it.

Overheard weird conversation on the 8th
At about 7:30 or 8:00am on the 8th of Feb I woke up because of a loud knock on a room across the hall from ours (I think we were staying in room 406). I did not hear the whole conversation because I was still half asleep, but I definitely heard an exchange with a security guard and what appeared to be a female occupant of that room. It seemed like she had called security to her room. I heard the guard ask "did you see what direction he went?" and "did he have a weapon?". Unfortunately I didn't hear the girl's response clearly. It was a pretty short conversation and it sounded like the guard left and the girl went back into her room. At the time I didn't think too much of it. We were in a sketchy area and I wasn't surprised to hear of something like that. Looking back I wish I would have paid a lot more attention. I have no clue if this is related at all since it was a good 9 days after Elisa disappeared but it just reinforces that the Cecil/Stay is a sketchball spot. Interesting experience though for sure.

During the whole duration of our stay we didn't think anything was abnormal... We didn't see any police or reporters at all. We weren't there much though except to sleep. Also, we were only asked once to see our key card when getting into the elevator one night.

One last thing that I want to mention that I see people bring up a lot in this forum is the question "Well what was she doing in California?" It seems like people are overanalyzing this. I really don't think it's any deeper than she was a Canadian girl who had heard great things about California and wanted to experience it for herself. It is not weird or uncommon to travel alone. I do it all the time. Now, if she went to LA with no plans to see other places then I could see more of a reason to question why she was there, but I think it is literally as simple as a girl who wanted to travel and see California.

I sure hope LE can come to a conclusion in this case, but it seems like a tough one with no big leads (that are available to us anyway).

I am new to this site and was brought here by this case. Pretty cool! Thanks everyone for all your ideas... very interesting. I was a guest at Stay on Main, the "hostel" part of the Cecil hotel, from February 5th through the 8th on the same floor that Elisa was on and have a few insights that I thought I could add to this discussion.

First off, do not stay in this area of LA if you are girl by yourself. It is a very interesting area but can be really dangerous.

Accessing the roof
It is easy. I am a photographer and my brother and I went up onto the roof on the night of the 5th to see how the vantage point of the skyline was from there (not that great by the way). And yes... We shouldn't have been there, I know that, but we were and it was easy. There is a window that was open on the 15th floor that allowed access to the fire escape and was just a quick climb up a short ladder and there we were on the roof, and now we know that we were probably only a few feet from Elisa's body at one point. Pretty creepy...

Elevator out of service
The "Elevator 1" was out of service on the 7th and 8th. It was just stuck on the 7th floor. This is probably totally unrelated but I thought I'd mention it just in case there is something to it.

At about 7:30 or 8:00am on the 8th of Feb I woke up because of a loud knock on a room across the hall from ours (I think we were staying in room 406). I did not hear the whole conversation because I was still half asleep, but I definitely heard an exchange with a security guard and what appeared to be a female occupant of that room. It seemed like she had called security to her room. I heard the guard ask "did you see what direction he went?" and "did he have a weapon?". Unfortunately I didn't hear the girl's response clearly. It was a pretty short conversation and it sounded like the guard left and the girl went back into her room. At the time I didn't think too much of it. We were in a sketchy area and I wasn't surprised to hear of something like that. Looking back I wish I would have paid a lot more attention. I have no clue if this is related at all since it was a good 9 days after Elisa disappeared but it just reinforces that the Cecil/Stay is a sketchball spot. Interesting experience though for sure.

During the whole duration of our stay we didn't think anything was abnormal... We didn't see any police or reporters at all. We weren't there much though except to sleep. Also, we were only asked once to see our key card when getting into the elevator one night.

One last thing that I want to mention that I see people bring up a lot in this forum is the question "Well what was she doing in California?" It seems like people are overanalyzing this. I really don't think it's any deeper than she was a Canadian girl who had heard great things about California and wanted to experience it for herself. It is not weird or uncommon to travel alone. I do it all the time. Now, if she went to LA with no plans to see other places then I could see more of a reason to question why she was there, but I think it is literally as simple as a girl who wanted to travel and see California.

I sure hope LE can come to a conclusion in this case, but it seems like a tough one with no big leads (that are available to us anyway).

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the information but is it alright if we can get verification on your word?

Do you have any sort of ticket/receipt, gift or etc. from the Stay At Main/Cecil Hotel to prove you were there? What about your photos you took up there?

Don't take no offense, but we have so many accounts of people staying there, and we can't take their word as 100% truth unless we have verification that they were staying there.

Just a few questions however,

You say you went up the fire escape on the 15th roof? I'm assuming by the hallway like in this photo correct?

1361523850-310889429_n.jpg

Was it locked? Was there a security alarm there? What about security cameras in the hallways? Did you see any?

Was there a constant presence of security guards on those floors?

And then you climbed up the ladder outside the fire escape. I'm sure you had to jump up or physically scale up the ladder that was hanging 4-5 ft above from the metal grated floors right?

6a00d8341c630a53ef017c36fb1845970b-640wi

Snipped for room and context, thank you.

Welcome aboard mate. I just had one question for you, and am hoping you can give me some insight. In regards to the security in the Cecil. Can you tell me are they in house or contracted out (do you remember any insignias on their uniform?)? And what safety items did the have on their body (ie. flashlight, impact gloves, compliance tools, so forth)?

Much appreciated.

Thank you.

Accessing the roof

Elevator out of service

Welcome abroad! Some very interesting stuff you have wrote, especially about the conversation across the hallway. I think you should definitely get in contact with LE, and share your experience. It might help the case!

Welcome abroad! Some very interesting stuff you have wrote, especially about the conversation across the hallway. I think you should definitely get in contact with LE, and share your experience. It might help the case!

I think we need verification first before we take any of those information to be confirmed.

Remember, there is a lot of people on the internet claiming they were at the Cecil Hotel, but haven't offered any proof they were actually staying there.

I hope smeinzer isn't offended, but it is very easy for any anonymous person to lie about being there and make up 'facts' about the Cecil Hotel. We really need confirmation via verification such as receipts at the Cecil hotel, photos, videos, etc at this point from people claiming to have stayed there.

Accessing the roof

Elevator out of service

Thank you for sharing this valuable info ! :)

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the information but is it alright if we can get verification on your word?

Do you have any sort of ticket/receipt, gift or etc. from the Stay At Main/Cecil Hotel to prove you were there? What about your photos you took up there?

Don't take no offense, but we have so many accounts of people staying there, and we can't take their word as 100% truth unless we have verification that they were staying there.

Just a few questions however,

You say you went up the fire escape on the 15th roof? I'm assuming by the hallway like in this photo correct?

1361523850-310889429_n.jpg

Was it locked? Was there a security alarm there? What about security cameras in the hallways? Did you see any?

Was there a constant presence of security guards on those floors?

And then you climbed up the ladder outside the fire escape. I'm sure you had to jump up or physically scale up the ladder that was hanging 4-5 ft above from the metal grated floors right?

6a00d8341c630a53ef017c36fb1845970b-640wi

Of course... No offense taken at all. I totally understand. And also... I'm glad you mentioned that. I had my dates wrong haha. We checked in on the 7th and checked out on the 10th. Please adjust my dates in the previous post accordingly.

Here is my receipt for my stay... I booked through Hotel Tonight.
ScreenShot2013-02-25at45537PM-1.png

Unfortunately we didn't shoot too many photos up there because the shots just weren't that great. My brother did get this shot though. The water tanks are directly behind where I am standing (I am up on the ledge of the building looking out)
imageren.jpg

As for the photo of the fire escape exit... It looked very similar expect that the window did not have any blinds over it. The window was cracked and had a little resistance but was easy to push open. There was no alarm present on the window. After we were out on the fire escape it was VERY easy to get up the ladder. the ladder came almost all the way down to the metal platform we were standing on. This is the fire escape we used.
6a00d8341c630a53ef017c36fb1845970b-640wi.jpg

After we were on the roof, we stayed for about 15-20 minutes and did not see any security all. In fact the only place I ever SAW security was in the lobby.

Hope that helps. I would happy to answer any other questions people might have.

Of course... No offense taken at all. I totally understand. And also... I'm glad you mentioned that. I had my dates wrong haha. We checked in on the 7th and checked out on the 10th. Please adjust my dates in the previous post accordingly.

*personal details - snipped*

Unfortunately we didn't shoot too many photos up there because the shots just weren't that great. My brother did get this shot though. The water tanks are directly behind where I am standing (I am up on the ledge of the building looking out)
imageren.jpg

As for the photo of the fire escape exit... It looked very similar expect that the window did not have any blinds over it. The window was cracked and had a little resistance but was easy to push open. There was no alarm present on the window. After we were out on the fire escape it was VERY easy to get up the ladder. the ladder came almost all the way down to the metal platform we were standing on. This is the fire escape we used.

After we were on the roof, we stayed for about 15-20 minutes and did not see any security all. In fact the only place I ever SAW security was in the lobby.

Appreciate the verification. Thank you very much.

I believe your info will be very substantial into helping us theorize more into this case.

I have a few more questions that I will be directing to you later on if you don't mind. Just organizing it all at the moment.

Snipped for room and context, thank you.

Welcome aboard mate. I just had one question for you, and am hoping you can give me some insight. In regards to the security in the Cecil. Can you tell me are they in house or contracted out (do you remember any insignias on their uniform?)? And what safety items did the have on their body (ie. flashlight, impact gloves, compliance tools, so forth)?

Much appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks! Glad to have found this cool community!

As for the guards... I am almost positive that they were a 3rd party security company. I think I remember seeing the same logo on all their jackets but I never paid attention to what it said. And unfortunately I do not remember what they carried. I think they had a few items on their belt but I do not remember what they were.

Based on the new info from smeinzer,

We must determine if Elisa Lam was in fact on the 15th floor in the CCTV security footage here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjVBpyTeZM"]Elisa Lam Video - YouTube[/ame]

Possible scenarios:

A. After she walked away from the elevator for the last time, she proceeded to the fire escape located in the hallway

B. She was stopped by a security guard, janitor, hotel worker or resident for example on the 15th floor, which from whatever incident led her to the fire escape on that floor

C. She went back to the 4th floor to her hotel room via the stairwells in the hallways

<modsnip>

imageren.jpg

From your experience getting to, and on the roof....would you say a strong person would be able to fireman carry a 115 lb female up that fire escape?

From your experience getting to, and on the roof....would you say a strong person would be able to fireman carry a 115 lb female up that fire escape?

Not to mention, how does it coincide with this info here -

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...er-womans-body-found-in-hotel-water-tank.html

Bernard Diaz, 89, a 32-year tenant of the Cecil, said he heard a "tremendous" noise the night before Lam was missing in the fourth floor above him.

He also said there was flooding on the fourth floor the day after Lam went missing.

"They said there was some obstruction to the drain between the third and
fourth floor," Diaz said.

Would opening the fire escape window make a lot of noise? What about walking on the metal platforms and scaling the ladder?

If the fire escape window from the hallway was opened on the 15th floor, it would make being detected climbing up the ladder onto the rooftop very hard from other residents and security, then say -- opening it from the 4th floor hallway, and scaling up all the way up to the 15th floor where the ladder is.

Security guards for example are required to have a considerate amount of strength, as well as being well built to handle people physically.

You would think a 89 yo, 32 y resident of the building would know the sound of going up and down the fire escape would sound like...

It would take SO much strength to carry someone up that ladder. I am fairly positive that someone would not be able to carry her up that way. The body would have to have been attached to the attacker in some way because you need both hands to climb the ladder (especially if trying to carry someone). I think she either made her way up the fire escape ladder by herself, possibly while being chased, or she was brought through the alarmed locked door by someone who had a keycard.

<modsnip>

imageren.jpg

I think we can all appreciate that you actually stayed there but please, just for my own peace of mind, remove your booking with your actual name on it. I hate for that to be floating around the internet just for your own safety ! Eeek !

Not to mention, how does it coincide with this info here -

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...er-womans-body-found-in-hotel-water-tank.html

Bernard Diaz, 89, a 32-year tenant of the Cecil, said he heard a "tremendous" noise the night before Lam was missing in the fourth floor above him.

He also said there was flooding on the fourth floor the day after Lam went missing.

"They said there was some obstruction to the drain between the third and
fourth floor," Diaz said.

Would opening the fire escape window make a lot of noise? What about walking on the metal platforms and scaling the ladder?

If the fire escape window from the hallway was opened on the 15th floor, it would make being detected climbing up the ladder onto the rooftop very hard from other residents and security, then say -- opening it from the 4th floor hallway, and scaling up all the way up to the 15th floor where the ladder is.

Security guards for example are required to have a considerate amount of strength, as well as being well built to handle people physically.

The window I am familiar with would not have made that much noise. And after outside on the metal grate it wouldn't be that loud unless the person is being VERY rough and stomping hard. OR if a person was trying to push a body through the window and drag it up the ladder. I just don't see that as being the case. I don't think someone would risk taking a body through a hallway and having someone see them.

It would take SO much strength to carry someone up that ladder. I am fairly positive that someone would not be able to carry her up that way. The body would have to have been attached to the attacker in some way because you need both hands to climb the ladder (especially if trying to carry someone). I think she either made her way up the fire escape ladder by herself, possibly while being chased, or she was brought through the alarmed locked door by someone who had a keycard.

Could be she went up to take pictures too. Last night in town and getting a few good shots from the roof could be what brought her there. It might be that the video has nothing to do with her death. Maybe she climbed up, someone was already there and took advantage of the situation or someone saw her in the hall, noticed she went up the fire escape, grabbed a pillow from his room to muffle her screams, followed her up, raped her and killed her accidentally or intentionally via suffocation.

As for the guards... I am almost positive that they were a 3rd party security company. I think I remember seeing the same logo on all their jackets but I never paid attention to what it said. And unfortunately I do not remember what they carried. I think they had a few items on their belt but I do not remember what they were.

Great, thanks for the reply. May be useful in the future!

Someone had mentioned that The Stay part of the hotel uses key cards, as opposed to keys. Another person mentioned that you cannot move freely after 10pm through the two areas (Stay/Cecil) by elevator. Was wondering what you know about this, and what it may mean for her access on the elevator and why buttons did not light up.

You said you were on the same floor as her -- can you confirm she was staying on the 4th floor as well? Thanks!

About the big noise that Mr. Diaz heard that knocked him out of his bed:

I used to live on the top floor of a 15 storey building, and there were occasional problems with the water system where an air bubble would get locked in the pipes because it wasn't vented properly at the roof.

The vacuum of drawing the water down from the rooftop tank would extend the air bubble until it was released with an incredible bang that scared the **** out of me when it happened. It really was enough to knock me out of my bed. And burst the pipes and cause flooding below.

When Elisa's body was put into the tank, it would have sunk and blocked the outlet in the bottom of the tank because the draw of the water would pull the body to block the outlet, creating a vacuum situation in the pipe below.

When the vacuum situation finally does let go, it would be enough to knock Mr. Diaz out of his bed, guaranteed because I lived through it myself.

The outlet to the tank is not in the bottom. Thats why you can see all the redish material at the bottom. It's in the side of the tank, near the bottom so that muck at the bottom of the tank doesn't go down the pipe and block it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back