1071 users online (209 members and 862 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    259

    8-Year-Old Arrested After Alleged Tantrum

    Police arrested an 8-year-old boy who allegedly had a violent outburst in school, head-butting his teacher and kicking an assistant principal, when he was told he couldn't go outside to play with other students.





    The 4-foot pupil was led away from Rawls Byrd Elementary School in handcuffs Tuesday and charged with disorderly conduct and assault and battery.

    "It's not something that happens every day," Maj. Stan Stout said of what could be the department's youngest arrest ever.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...school_tantrum

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,189
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me ....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmom
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me ....

    Absolutely!!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    92,347
    As the relative of a child who has been diagnosed with possible bipolar disorder, possible Asperger's syndrome (high-functioning autism), and ADHD, I see this child in serious need of help. I hope the parents get it for him, if they are not already doing so. The child I mentioned here is now in a charter schoo for children with such problems (they run it a bit like Marine boot camp, which seems to be what such kids need) and absolutely thriving. That is not to say he does not still have outbursts, good days and bad days, but the main theme of the school is that everyone has choices, and responsibilities that accompany those choices. There may be a lot more to this 8 y.o. story than appears on the surface.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799
    But wait, whatever happened to the school disciplining students? Come on this is elementary school.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    But wait, whatever happened to the school disciplining students? Come on this is elementary school.
    "Stout said the chair-tossing, desk-turning outburst occurred after a teacher, and later the assistant principal, attempted to stop the boy from joining his classmates. "

    This looks like it had become way too dangerous of a situation. My aunt was a teacher and was permanently disabled by an elementary student.

    Have any of you caught episodes of Nanny 911? Too frequently children are being raised as if they are full adults with all the privileges of making decisions to their detriment. Respect, guidelines, discipline, boundaries are necessary to raising children ... and it's not the schools place to instill basic values and behaviors.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    92,347
    Not to be redundant here, but I have seen such behavior, and it has nothing to do with the child being a brat, needing discipline, etc. Children, especially very young ones, with a real disorder DO act out like that, in spite of heavy-duty medications, etc. Perhaps this is not the case with the 8 y.o. in the article, but it does happen, unfortunately. And, no, teachers in a regular school (nor the other pupils) should be subjected to such behaviors. Children with severe probems such as these really should not be mainstreamed. We feel fortunate, blessed, however one wishes to state it, that we have a few schools specifically for these children, with teachers highly trained to deal with them. As you can tell, I feel very strongly on this subject. My own son (now an adult) was "hyperactive," as it was called back then. That was sufficiently difficult to manage, particularly since much less was known in those days. Families of children with severe disorders have a difficult, stressful situation.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    Not to be redundant here, but I have seen such behavior, and it has nothing to do with the child being a brat, needing discipline, etc. Children, especially very young ones, with a real disorder DO act out like that, in spite of heavy-duty medications, etc. Perhaps this is not the case with the 8 y.o. in the article, but it does happen, unfortunately. And, no, teachers in a regular school (nor the other pupils) should be subjected to such behaviors. Children with severe probems such as these really should not be mainstreamed. We feel fortunate, blessed, however one wishes to state it, that we have a few schools specifically for these children, with teachers highly trained to deal with them. As you can tell, I feel very strongly on this subject. My own son (now an adult) was "hyperactive," as it was called back then. That was sufficiently difficult to manage, particularly since much less was known in those days. Families of children with severe disorders have a difficult, stressful situation.
    Opie, two of my children have severe ADHD w/learning disabilities. My expectations of them are no different than any other child ... they still need to learn RESPECT and to not act out. A disability is not a free ticket to do whatever the heck you want to without consequences.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,189
    http://www.dailypress.com/news/local...news-local-wbg

    Update on this case ... mother speaks out

    She said he was a newborn when she went to prison, and she only got custody of him again about two weeks ago. She is taking a parenting class now, he is on medication to help him control his impulses and they both get hours of counseling every week, along with his 11-year-old sister and the girl's father, who lives with the family. Both adults work at Colonial Williamsburg.

    The boy became upset Tuesday after getting a spelling worksheet that was too hard for him, his mother said. He tore it up and then began turning over desks, she said. "He thinks he has to be perfect or he's going to be sent away, and we're not going to love him," she explained.

    That's why he gets frustrated and angry so easily, she said. He feels like a failure, starts throwing things and breaking things and also attacks himself, raking his face with his nails, she said. She doesn't blame school officials or police for what happened or for anything they did.

    "They all did exactly what they were supposed to do," she said. "The officer was very nice."
    ...........
    He's been handcuffed at least a couple of times before, she said. She said it's better for police to restrain her son with handcuffs than physical force.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    I realize that my post is going to make everyone's Poster Beotch List, but I've been there before. I believe this child needs to be removed from the classroom he's currently in and moved into a classroom with a teacher train specially on how to deal with this type of disorder - and among other children who have the same or similar disorders. As a taxpayer, I realize that there are other children who will, from time-to-time, require my attention than my children. However, my children do NOT and should NOT be in an enviroment where they have to sit in the same classroom as potentially violent children with no control over themselves.

    Okay - fire away.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I realize that my post is going to make everyone's Poster Beotch List, but I've been there before. I believe this child needs to be removed from the classroom he's currently in and moved into a classroom with a teacher train specially on how to deal with this type of disorder - and among other children who have the same or similar disorders. As a taxpayer, I realize that there are other children who will, from time-to-time, require my attention than my children. However, my children do NOT and should NOT be in an enviroment where they have to sit in the same classroom as potentially violent children with no control over themselves.

    Okay - fire away.
    My 2 grandsons have ADD and one has a learning disorder in math and tested with a pretty low IQ. I am still, 3 school years later trying to figure out if they are getting all the help that is available. It's like some heavily guarded Texas treasure. I've had to request everything from testing to speech and occupational therapy. My grandson made all F's on the December report card and they were trying to take him out of special ed math. They have not been violent but have acted up and distracted the other students at times. The teachers didn't even give them a behaviour IP and I am going to have to ask for one of those I believe, and probably hire an advocate and get a MHMR case worker to give me some help. I don't even know what to ask for or about.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I realize that my post is going to make everyone's Poster Beotch List, but I've been there before. I believe this child needs to be removed from the classroom he's currently in and moved into a classroom with a teacher train specially on how to deal with this type of disorder - and among other children who have the same or similar disorders. As a taxpayer, I realize that there are other children who will, from time-to-time, require my attention than my children. However, my children do NOT and should NOT be in an enviroment where they have to sit in the same classroom as potentially violent children with no control over themselves.

    Okay - fire away.
    Jeana,
    I mentioned before, but maybe it was missed, but my aunt was PERMANENTLY DISABLED by a middle school child while teaching.

    Every child is different, but it doesn't appear based on the article that this young boy not only has a disorder, but a very disorderly life. My heart truly goes out to him, hopefully he'll get the help he so desperately needs.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki
    My 2 grandsons have ADD and one has a learning disorder in math and tested with a pretty low IQ. I am still, 3 school years later trying to figure out if they are getting all the help that is available. It's like some heavily guarded Texas treasure. I've had to request everything from testing to speech and occupational therapy. My grandson made all F's on the December report card and they were trying to take him out of special ed math. They have not been violent but have acted up and distracted the other students at times. The teachers didn't even give them a behaviour IP and I am going to have to ask for one of those I believe, and probably hire an advocate and get a MHMR case worker to give me some help. I don't even know what to ask for or about.
    Gosh txsvicki I am so sorry that your having to work so hard for services for your grandsons. When my son was pre-school age, he was tested and qualified for pre-school educational services. However, they refused to actually pay for pre-school. Uh, big mistake ... I contacted the American's with Disabilities and they sent a representive to sit in on the IEP meeting.
    They messed with the wrong mama!

    Even if you need to hire someone to help you through the legal aspects, you are the BEST advocate for your grandsons ...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,940
    Many of us have children we have begged to have placed in a special school so they could receive the attention/care they so despartaely needed. Unfortunately, laws made by those with little ot no experience in disabled children have made this almost impossible. It isnt politically correct.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Timex
    Many of us have children we have begged to have placed in a special school so they could receive the attention/care they so despartaely needed. Unfortunately, laws made by those with little ot no experience in disabled children have made this almost impossible. It isnt politically correct.
    TIMEX!!!!! I'm so glad to see you here! Welcome Back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast