1329 users online (284 members and 1045 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The History and Mystique of the Cecil Hotel

Use this thread to list facts about the Cecil Hotel. Don't forget to include your links.

Los Angeles (CNN) -- The Cecil Hotel's dark past earned it a spot on Los Angeles tours long before a woman's body was found inside its rooftop water tank.

"It's the place where serial killers stay," said tour guide Richard Schave.

Schave and his wife, Kim Cooper, conduct a "true crime and oddities" tour they call "Hotel Horrors & Main Street Vice."

Cooper and Schave have made it their job to compile details on those who have killed or been killed while staying at the Cecil.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/21/us/cal...a-horror-hotel

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Kim Cooper shared this pleasant image...

ďIn Ramirezís case, itís known that he actually would come in through the back alley after killing people, covered in blood, take his clothes off, throw them in the dumpster and go up the back stairs to the room that he was staying in,Ē she said.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/02/20...d-had-an-alarm

What a classy place!

According to this Report it had 39 inhabitants (long term)

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:00

Earlier this year, the Los Angeles Housing Department placed the property in the city’s Rent Escrow Account Program, or REAP, for an array of alleged building code violations. Hotel officials recently appealed the move, which allows tenants to pay discounted rents, with the money placed in an escrow account until the violations are fixed...................

At a Housing Department meeting on March 27, a handful of the 39 inhabitants of the 600-room hotel complained that for years they’ve had no central heat, and instead have been given wall-mounted heaters that rarely work.

I have spent some time researching the city archives and recent history of the hotel. As is turns out, investors bought the Cecil just over a decade ago to be a player in the downtown revitalization plan only to be stonewalled by a local government ordinance that basically would not let people lose their low income housing. In theory, that is commendable but does not translate when you are trying to shake off the bad vibes of housing two serial killers. The owners had grand plans to renovate, but was shut down by city council because they were suing the city of LA over this law. The city retaliated by refusing to grant permits for what they intended to upgrade. For example, the residents complain of no central air and insufficient, but the city won't grant necessary permits.

I think the owners gave up on it and it may be in some sort of foreclosure? It sounds like there really no one vested in the care of that place, so I think this played a big part in how the perp likely just walked upstairs through an unlocked door used as a fire egress.

Here is a link to a harsh review and a really informative response by the property managers. Scroll nearly to bottom of the page.

A Dump with a Future

Also. as of 2010, the hotel was in foreclosure.

Cecil Hotel to Stay Residential Under Terms of Settlement to Long-Running Lawsuits.
    Last edited by Conductor71; 03-12-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: add an updated source

I heard a woman jumped off the building to kill herself

I heard than another serial killer called the Cecil home too

Quote Originally Posted by hello people View Post
    I heard a woman jumped off the building to kill herself

I heard than another serial killer called the Cecil home too
    yes, it's true. Let me find you links. Two serial killers and two jumpers. Several unsolved murders over the decades.

Several documentaries and ghost hunter/paranormal shows have been filmed here:
    Haunted Encounters: Face to Face: Season 1, Episode 4
    The Hotel Cecil/Kriescher Mansion (21 Dec. 2012)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2576230/

http://guardianlv.com/2013/02/elisa-...t-cecil-hotel/

Jack Unterweger and Richard Ramirez serial killers were residents.

Ghost of Cecil Hotel
    http://insroland.org/ghostsofthececil

Helen Gurnee,1954 jumped to her death/suicide
    Pauline Otton, October 12, 1962 jumped to her death/suicide hit pedestrian George Gianinni
    Julia Moore February 11, 1962 jumped to her death/suicide
    Pigeon Goldie June 4, 1964 murdered

There is an agency called the 'Invisible Light Agency' which also seems to be based in the Hotel
    https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...d=0CMoBEPwSMAM

I am looking for more information on this, but it may be an explanation to some of the 'ghostly' sightings

From this article (2011) it explains some of what they do

According to Zeller: “I personally handled all 3D duties and was joined on compositing by on-set VFX supervisor Quan Tran, and Miguel Bautista and Anthony Vu: partners of the Invisible Light Agency.Modeling took place in modo, animation and rendering in 3ds Max with V-Ray 1.5, and compositing in Nuke and After Effects. Supplemental tools included Maya and Mudbox.”

Invisible Light is located at 620 S. Main, The Cecil Hotel is at 640.

Quote Originally Posted by i.b.nora View Post
    Invisible Light is located at 620 S. Main, The Cecil Hotel is at 640.
    Stay on Main street is at 636 S. Main, cecil is at 620 S.. I'm wondering how many numbers does the front of the building cover, If 636 and 620 are where the entrance doors are located - both hotels extend out beyond each side of the entrance doors. Across the road is only a car park, unless a building has be knocked down out of there recently and this is were it was previously located?

http://goo.gl/maps/PijRx

^^^Never mind

Actually I've found Building 620, seems to be separate from the hotel
    Last edited by Perplexed 123; 03-12-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Link to map added

Quote Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
    I have spent some time researching the city archives and recent history of the hotel. As is turns out, investors bought the Cecil just over a decade ago to be a player in the downtown revitalization plan only to be stonewalled by a local government ordinance that basically would not let people lose their low income housing. In theory, that is commendable but does not translate when you are trying to shake off the bad vibes of housing two serial killers. The owners had grand plans to renovate, but was shut down by city council because they were suing the city of LA over this law. The city retaliated by refusing to grant permits for what they intended to upgrade. For example, the residents complain of no central air and insufficient, but the city won't grant necessary permits.

I think the owners gave up on it and it may be in some sort of foreclosure? It sounds like there really no one vested in the care of that place, so I think this played a big part in how the perp likely just walked upstairs through an unlocked door used as a fire egress.

Here is a link to a harsh review and a really informative response by the property managers. Scroll nearly to bottom of the page.

A Dump with a Future

Also. as of 2010, the hotel was in foreclosure.

Cecil Hotel to Stay Residential Under Terms of Settlement to Long-Running Lawsuits.
    This is very revealing. I can understand a city trying to protect the homes of people closer to the bottom rungs of life, but in this case, it's a hotel, not an apartment building. At one time, there must have been a financial need for the hotel to rent to tenants, but at any point the hotel should have the free choice, without government oposition, to shed the apartments humanely for the sake of making a business go. The business has the first priority, not the tenants.

It smells. It can be as ridiculous as someone in city counsel having a close relative in the hotel's "apartments."

I went into the Cecil hotel on St Patricks day. There were 6 of us. We loitered in the lobby for a few, then walked right into the elevator and took it up to the 15th floor. The front desk personnel said nothing to us.
    Some pics:

Outside

The entrance

View from the 15th floor window

This is on the floor right outside the hotel, I found it ironic

Quote Originally Posted by MissedItByThatMuch View Post
    This is very revealing. I can understand a city trying to protect the homes of people closer to the bottom rungs of life, but in this case, it's a hotel, not an apartment building. At one time, there must have been a financial need for the hotel to rent to tenants, but at any point the hotel should have the free choice, without government oposition, to shed the apartments humanely for the sake of making a business go. The business has the first priority, not the tenants.

It smells. It can be as ridiculous as someone in city counsel having a close relative in the hotel's "apartments."
    I'm just guessing based on similar political nonsense in other places, but I suspect it's just your typical combination of political posturing, probably some greased palms (a lobby group or something), and maybe the possibility of bad publicity if they kicked out a bunch of people. But primarily, I bet it involves political influence of, like I said, maybe a lobby group or something similar. Or it might be tied into old LA laws, kind of like some places have had rent control.

There are many logical political explanations (at least logical in the context of politics, which isn't logic). Because of this, I strongly doubt any of the more nefarious speculation about why these people are still in the Cecil and potential political connections to individuals or specific situations at the Cecil, at least not unless there is some specific, legitimate evidence to the contrary... you never know with politicians! But my point is just that the Cecil being forced to keep the people living there does not seem particularly strange given other laws in LA, NYC, and other cities.

Quote Originally Posted by MissedItByThatMuch View Post

These ARE people on the "bottom rungs of life" - if evicted from the Cecil, these people will land on Skid Row. The Cecil has been a Single Room Occupancy hotel (SRO) for years, and it's the conversion from that which is the problem. They can't kick people out on the street to draw in hipster money.

In California, the tenants have the first priority, at least in this specific scenario.

Here's an op/ed from the LA Times on the complex interplay of the downtown housing issues: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul...op-mailander30

(And please note that the article mentions the Cecil was exempt, but it predates the lawsuit where the conversion was denied.)

Quote Originally Posted by dpchemd2 View Post
    I went into the Cecil hotel on St Patricks day. There were 6 of us. We loitered in the lobby for a few, then walked right into the elevator and took it up to the 15th floor. The front desk personnel said nothing to us.
    Some pics:

*snipped*

View from the 15th floor window
    Just to clarify, this particular picture is of the roof of the building next to the Cecil (based on Google maps)

Did you find or see anything interesting or new relevant to the case? Is that window view above the place where someone would access the fire escape? Did you all consider going on the roof?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast