1058 users online (189 members and 869 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Australia - Phoebe Handsjuk, 24, found dead in Melbourne apt building, 2 Dec 2010

December 6, 2012

The family of a Melbourne woman who died after plunging 12 storeys inside the garbage chute of a St Kilda Road apartment building has asked a coroner to examine if she was murdered.

At Wednesday's hearing, Coroner Peter White said he was yet to decide whether to hold a full inquest into the 2010 death of 24-year-old Phoebe Handsjuk

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/wh...#ixzz2MwnIgEBz

Letter recalls scream on day of garbage-chute fall

January 18, 2013

Victorian Coroner Peter White is considering whether to hold an inquest into the December 2010 death of 24-year-old Phoebe Handsjuk, who was found in the garbage compacting room at the Balencea apartment building after plunging 12 storeys inside the chute.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/le...#ixzz2MwpiGHth

Channel 7 program "Sunday Night" is featuring this case on the weekend.

Phoebe's mystery death

They were the perfect glamour couple: she was young and beautiful while he was the handsome businessman boyfriend. So how did Phoebe Handsjuk come to die by plunging 12 storeys down the garbage chute of a luxury apartment building? Sunday Night explores the mystery of Phoebe’s final hours

http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/

Derryn Hinch has a tweet about channel 7's Sunday Night program on this case:

Derryn Hinch ‏@HumanHeadline
    Legal fight on between Vic. Coroner and Sunday Night over 7 plan to air CCTV footage of murder/suicide ? victim Pheobe Handsjuk

How tragic, I don't recall hearing about this when it happened.
    L K out L K out, there are catterpillars about!

Boyfriend certainly has friends in high places. Why does his lawyer care if there is a full coronial hearing into the matter? If it answers some nagging questions, what is the harm to him?

"However, barrister Elizabeth Brimer, who is acting for Antony Hampel, Phoebe's boyfriend at the time of her death, said a full hearing wasn't necessary.

"There isn't a basis for that level of satisfaction [that a murder occurred]," Ms Brimer told the coroner."

Last edited by SouthAussie; 03-08-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks Marlywings I've seen a couple of things tv and newspaper recently about Phoebe's death and I'll be watching Sunday Night.

It seems unlikely IMO to be suicide, I read something about the rubbish chute having blades, so someone has to have turned them off or she would have been chopped to pieces. Also her grandfather, a retired detective has investigated and had two sober fit women try to hoist themselves feet first into the rubbish chute and it was extremely difficult for them.
    “It is not what a lawyer tells me I may do; but what humanity, reason, and justice tell me I ought to do.”
    ― Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by SouthAussie View Post
    Boyfriend certainly has friend's in high places. Why does his lawyer care if there is a full coronial hearing into the matter? If it answers some nagging questions, what is the harm to him?

"However, barrister Elizabeth Brimer, who is acting for Antony Hampel, Phoebe's boyfriend at the time of her death, said a full hearing wasn't necessary.

"There isn't a basis for that level of satisfaction [that a murder occurred]," Ms Brimer told the coroner."

He sure does.

IMO if he has nothing to hide then his barrister wouldn't be trying to talk down the need for a full hearing.
    “It is not what a lawyer tells me I may do; but what humanity, reason, and justice tell me I ought to do.”
    ― Edmund Burke

Many many thanks Marlywings for starting this thread xx
    I had not heard of this case till seeing the ads for Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Humdinger View Post
    How tragic, I don't recall hearing about this when it happened.
    Me either.

Interestingly, we have a victim and boyfriend with family including judges, lawyers and detectives.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Link which discuses the chute blades

Blood on her computer mouse and a foot cut on glass, unexplained bruising, deleted emails and a missing phone in for repair that can send an SMS

And they still have to decide whether an inquest is necessary......it's a no brainer

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/wh...208-2b28m.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just watched the special on Sunday Night. Definitely some suspcious behaviour by the boyfriend in my opinion. Why is his legal team preventing footage of her final hours being released? Why is is opposed to a coronial inquest?

I think the most damning point in this case is why she would choose- in a drunken state- to attempt the delicate Houdini act of wedging herself into the garbage disposal chute when she could have freely hopped off the balcony. I mean, why bother to go to all the effort when the balcony is just so much easier? It just doesn’t make sense to go to all of that effort; it’s ridiculous. Further, she was apparently still alive at the bottom of the chute, possibly owing to the halting/pausing/breaking on the way down, as the chute is narrow, which slowed down her fall. That certainly wouldn’t have been the case were she to have jumped from the balcony- no one survives a 12 storey fall from a building; it is certain death.
    The only reasonable explanation is that she was hurt beforehand by someone who wanted to conceal those injuries, which might not have been concealed by a balcony fall, but which could be masked during a chute-fall owing to the bumping, jamming, hitting, bruising on the way down in the confined space.
    Last edited by Paulie11; 03-10-2013 at 08:53 AM.

There is no way she killed herself by going down a garbage chute. She was a young, beautiful woman. That is not how she would have chosen to die, imo.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky7 View Post
    Just watched the special on Sunday Night. Definitely some suspcious behaviour by the boyfriend in my opinion. Why is his legal team preventing footage of her final hours being released? Why is is opposed to a coronial inquest?
    His parents=legal team?

Also did he turn to the reporter and say "private property" and point to the ground when she was questioning him?
    Not that it really has much meaning ..... I just thought geese firm and mist certainly knew his rights, quite slick in fact.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast