The camera - is it possible for it to go off on its own?

seeker78

Searcher
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been answered -- does anyone have the type of camera that Travis Alexander has? Can anyone confirm that it'll take a picture if dropped? I've been trying to figure out the rhyme or reason to the pictures -- I don't believe the timestamps lend itself to a timer (I may be wrong). Was Jodi snapping pics as she was killing Travis? All opinions welcome!

great idea to have a thread to discuss the aspects of the camera!

I think the first one - the pix of Travis still in the shower but the photo does not show his face just the part of his body contacting the shower floor - this one seems to be a hand held photo to me as the flash obviously triggered - JMO this is when she stabbed him in the middle of the chest. Her finger tripped it in response to muscle flex when she stabbed him.

I do think he tried to get out of the shower and at that point she dropped the camera which resulted in the upward photo showing the top of the shower door and the light. The photo resulted as the camera impacted the floor - note there is no flash.

The other two I believe resulted as the camera was accidentally kicked or otherwise impacted during the ensuing struggle resulting in the two dark photos, again without the flash going off.

Just my limited thought about it anyway. My digital is very light with respect to activating the shutter, doesn't take much pressure at all.

I'm pretty sure that the answer is no, but do we know the model of the camera that was used?

I was wondering what type of camera it is too.

I have a Canon DSL and you can use the timer to take multiple pictures w/out having to touch the camera again, however, they'd all be spaced the exact amt of time apart. For instance, the camera may automatically take pictures three seconds apart, or 30 seconds apart. I dont think it will take one 10 seconds, then 8 seconds after thet and then another 60 seconds past that. They would all be equally spaced.

Most digital cameras these days don't take much pressure on the shutter release button to take a picture. Many will take a picture if the button is bumped or the camera is laying upside down on the button. Some even have a shutter release on the lower right side of the camera body for when taking vertically oriented (Portrait) photos, but I don't believe this camera had that. However, many digital cameras have settings that could require that the lens is first in focus before a picture is taken, but based on the photos this feature was not active on this camera if available.

I agree that the timestamps likely don't indicate the use of a self-timer. Possible on the last two, as just delayed trigger photos. In other words, the self timer feature may have been activated somehow and when the camera is bumped or dropped it took one picture a few seconds later. Not likely though.

Being a photographer, and looking at the sequence of photos, my guess is that all the pictures except the last two were taken by JA pushing the shutter release directly. I believe they showed that the picture of his lower body only, sitting in the shower, came before the flash photo of his face. My idea is that this was the last photo deliberately taken and that TA wasn't injured yet. Since so many of the pictures prior to this were done without flash I even guess that the flash right in front of his face was deliberate to affect his vision while she swung the knife for the first time. That next picture of the ceiling and light above the shower I believe was taken with JA's right hand as the stabbing began with the left hand. She likely tensed all her muscles up as she lunged at him, including the finger above the shutter release, and then dropped the camera. The rest are just inadvertent bumping into the camera on the floor.

I was wondering what type of camera it is too.

I have a Canon DSL and you can use the timer to take multiple pictures w/out having to touch the camera again, however, they'd all be spaced the exact amt of time apart. For instance, the camera may automatically take pictures three seconds apart, or 30 seconds apart. I dont think it will take one 10 seconds, then 8 seconds after thet and then another 60 seconds past that. They would all be equally spaced.

I do too ... and I was just looking at the button ... it is ever so slightly recessed in my model, so there's no way that it would snap a picture due to bumping a flat surface.

I remember reading it was a Sony and there are posts on WS for the Cyber shot DSC H9:

sony_zps06f1385d.jpg

This does look like the right model when compared to the crime scene photo of the camera.

If the camera were bumped on the floor, it would be very easy for the shutter release button to get depressed and record an image.

Agree that the flash shot was intentional attempt to blind TA.

I have a collage of the shower pictures sequence that I found on another website. It shows the total elapsed time between the first and last pictures taken with the date/time stamps on each picture.

It's very telling considering the last photo of Travis alive and the picture of him dead on the floor. Is it okay to post it here?

I don't believe the "consensual" photo shoot story at all. I believe JA forced TA in some way to pose for the pictures. I just don't think TA would have consented to having shower photos taken. And I don't necessarily believe the story about them having a marathon sex session that day either. I believe all of this was staged and TA was forced in some way to pose for the pics. He was done with her at that point, no? I can't see him having a sexual marathon with her days before he was to go to Cancun with Mimi. And the pic of him, naked on the bed, shows that he was not sexually aroused during the pic.....it that because he was being forced to pose??

Do we have a crime scene picture thread?

I haven't seen a specific thread to discuss the crime scene photos.

The photos & links to the more graphic photos are in the media/timeline thread, starting on page 2.

This is some information on the camera posted by HLN. However, they are wrong when they state the current price is $1,499 and that it "likely cost more in 2008 when Alexander bought it." The MSRP on that camera was $480.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/03/01/jodi-arias-camera

Something to note in the specifications: The self-timer can be set to 2 seconds or 10 seconds.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2007/2/27/sonyh9h7#specs

I missed the testimony regarding the camera. The EXIF data should provide focal distance, whether flash was fired, etc. The flash did appear to be used on the last couple of shower photos. Which then would seem the remainder of the photos would also have flash, but they don't appear to. So did JA shut the flash? Or did it close when it was tossed aside/dropped?

I think the first one - the pix of Travis still in the shower but the photo does not show his face just the part of his body contacting the shower floor - this one seems to be a hand held photo to me as the flash obviously triggered - JMO this is when she stabbed him in the middle of the chest. Her finger tripped it in response to muscle flex when she stabbed him.

I do think he tried to get out of the shower and at that point she dropped the camera which resulted in the upward photo showing the top of the shower door and the light. The photo resulted as the camera impacted the floor - note there is no flash.

The other two I believe resulted as the camera was accidentally kicked or otherwise impacted during the ensuing struggle resulting in the two dark photos, again without the flash going off.

Just my limited thought about it anyway. My digital is very light with respect to activating the shutter, doesn't take much pressure at all.

The upward photo showing the top of the shower door and the light was not the result of the camera being dropped because it would have had to bounce up at least 4 feet or more and then have the button triggered to go off. Photo expert testified about it being at that height or higher when the photo was taken. Cameras do not bounce that high off of a tile floor bath mat. You could drop a camera on a bed and it still would not bounce up that high. Jodi still had the camera in her hand when the photo was taken and the button was activated by having pressure put on the trigger by her finger.

I have a collage of the shower pictures sequence that I found on another website. It shows the total elapsed time between the first and last pictures taken with the date/time stamps on each picture.

It's very telling considering the last photo of Travis alive and the picture of him dead on the floor. Is it okay to post it here?

You can post a link to the photos but cannot post the photos themselves on WS. I believe that it was 1 minute and 46 seconds or 1 minute and 2 seconds, (sorry can't remember which because it has been a while since I looked at them) between the last photo of him in the shower and the photo of him laying on the tile floor in the hallway. We do not know if Travis was dead in the photo or just incapacitated by his injuries. His head and right arm are raised in the photo so I do not believe that he was dead at that point.

Personally, I think she stepped backwards onto the camera to take the second last picture. Or bumped into it with her foot while she was dragging him. And the final one, I think was from her kicking it out or the way.

Here is another photo of a camera like TA's camera.

picture.php

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LikeNew-Cyb...era-15x-Optical-Zoom-/290874107887#vi-content

This pic shows the silver label next to the lens like the camera seen in evidence pics. I'm not sure why the model shows the silver label on some pics of the camera and on other photos there is no silver label.

On one of the discussion threads I posted a pic like the one shown above on post #8. It was listed as a "Bridge" camera...
http://ir.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=34714830/mode=ir2_rev_low/#tab=details

This link gives a very detailed description of the camera and it's specs even tho the body shown is silver...
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H9/H9A.HTM

<snipped>
"The H9's Wheel dial, unfortunately, is very thin and placed so close to the 4-way controller pads that I occasionally tripped the self-timer or changed the flash setting."

The upward photo showing the top of the shower door and the light was not the result of the camera being dropped because it would have had to bounce up at least 4 feet or more and then have the button triggered to go off. Photo expert testified about it being at that height or higher when the photo was taken. Cameras do not bounce that high off of a tile floor bath mat. You could drop a camera on a bed and it still would not bounce up that high. Jodi still had the camera in her hand when the photo was taken and the button was activated by having pressure put on the trigger by her finger.

That is very interesting. I think it is possible that she was kneeling herself at this point. Maybe she had the gun on him and was telling him WHY he was going to die.

In the testimony by the camera/computer expert, he states that based on the perspective of the photos and what was captured in those photos, that two of them were taken when the camera was upside down and on the floor. And he gives the exhibit number for each one. And that "ceiling only" shot was taken from a height of 3-4 ft. he said.

I have a similar camera to this one. I've looked at it. I guess I can see if it fell and landed perfectly upside down that a photo could be taken from the pressure on the shutter. BUT in order for a second photo to be taken, I feel that camera would need to have been "disturbed" somehow.

Don't know if this is the proper thread for this, but here goes. And I am not joking, I am serious in asking this:

As a preface to my question, I am a retired RN who worked as a med/surg nurse in a hospital for years. Meaning I have catheterized many people over the years, both male and female. Plus did some time on a Labor/Delivery unit.

In looking at the two crotch/posterior shots of Jodi (which I just encountered yesterday for the first time) does it not appear this very much resembles the genitalia a female who has given birth vaginally?

Any other nurses care to comment on this?

(Hey, what can I say? Nurses notice these kind of things.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back