1586 users online (344 members and 1242 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Ex-skater accuses Gabel of rape when she was 15

http://espn.go.com/olympics/speedska...ndy-gabel-rape

A second former speedskater came forward Friday with allegations against Andy Gabel, telling The Associated Press she was raped at age 15 by the one-time leader of the U.S. short track program, then manipulated into an illicit three-year relationship that ended at the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics.

Nikki Meyer, who was known by her maiden name of Nikki Ziegelmeyer when she won short track relay medals for the U.S. at the Albertville and Lillehammer Games, delivered the most recent accusations against Gabel, a medalist himself who competed in four Olympics, was a former president of U.S. Speedskating and, until last week, held a prominent position at the International Skating Union...........

He went on to say, "Looking back on it now, I understand that my conduct nearly 20 years ago and longer was still inappropriate. I've apologized publicly for that and I'm sorry for crossing that line. I understand that inappropriateness more than ever now."

Last week, speedskater Bridie Farrell told Milwaukee public radio station WUWM that she had an improper relationship with Gabel during the 1990s, starting when she was also 15 and he was 33.............

U.S. Speedskating said it was not aware of Farrell's allegations until she made them to the media. The organization said Friday that, through a referral from the U.S. Olympic Committee's Safe Sport program, it has hired the Chicago-based law firm Sidley Austin LLP to investigate all accusations involving Gabel............

Much more at link.....
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 02-18-2016 at 03:20 PM. Reason: fixed link

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington