Ex-skater accuses Gabel of rape when she was 15

Reader

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/olympics/speedsk.../second-former-skater-accuses-andy-gabel-rape

A second former speedskater came forward Friday with allegations against Andy Gabel, telling The Associated Press she was raped at age 15 by the one-time leader of the U.S. short track program, then manipulated into an illicit three-year relationship that ended at the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics.

Nikki Meyer, who was known by her maiden name of Nikki Ziegelmeyer when she won short track relay medals for the U.S. at the Albertville and Lillehammer Games, delivered the most recent accusations against Gabel, a medalist himself who competed in four Olympics, was a former president of U.S. Speedskating and, until last week, held a prominent position at the International Skating Union...........

He went on to say, "Looking back on it now, I understand that my conduct nearly 20 years ago and longer was still inappropriate. I've apologized publicly for that and I'm sorry for crossing that line. I understand that inappropriateness more than ever now."

Last week, speedskater Bridie Farrell told Milwaukee public radio station WUWM that she had an improper relationship with Gabel during the 1990s, starting when she was also 15 and he was 33.............

U.S. Speedskating said it was not aware of Farrell's allegations until she made them to the media. The organization said Friday that, through a referral from the U.S. Olympic Committee's Safe Sport program, it has hired the Chicago-based law firm Sidley Austin LLP to investigate all accusations involving Gabel............

Much more at link.....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine