606 users online (86 members and 520 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Man buys $300K bungalow, finds $30 million worth of art inside

http://pix11.com/2013/03/07/man-buys...#axzz2N3ghqf8J

“It looked like a pile of junk, but on closer inspection I realized it was a vast body of work created by one artist over 60 years,” said Thomas Schultz, who bought it with business partner Lawrence Joseph. “I knew right away I wasn’t going to throw that artwork into the dumpster, it was bad karma.”...............
    Little more, picture and video at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I should be so lucky

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

Thanks for that link. I just spent time finding many many articles about this artist. Beautiful work. So glad these 2 buyers didn't toss the items.

Quote Originally Posted by gm8549 View Post
    Thanks for that link. I just spent time finding many many articles about this artist. Beautiful work. So glad these 2 buyers didn't toss the items.
    Gm8549, it would be wonderful if you could post a couple of those articles; I'd love to read more about the artist too...I will also google and see what I can find...TIA

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Here's one article about the artist, Arthur Pinajian:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/ar...lery.html?_r=0

Another site about him:

http://www.pinajianart.com/
    Last edited by Reader; 03-10-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Just saw your post. You did find 2 good ones. If I have a chance later,will look again. One had a story when the new owners had just bought the bungalow.

This gentleman was friends with the best of the best.

Here's one I really liked because it has a photo of him.

http://www.rediscoveredmasters.com/A...tist/22?page=2

Here's another I liked. A much earlier article telling of the original purchase. One thing I read (don't know if it's here) said a cousin (seller of property) told them he didn't want the artwork. So glad it was saved by these 2 men. That's a huge amount of research to be done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/14/ny...pagewanted=all

Thanks so much, gm8549, been reading those and this is a fascinating story,,,,so sad that he was never recognized in his lifetime..

One of Arthur Pinajian's landscapes

Don't know if any of the links posted so far have the info on his comic book art. Did you see that? Another article said that after he died,she told a relative to put all his stuff in the garbage!!! They did toss 1/2 of it. Thank goodness some remained.

Yes, I did see that about his comic art...think it was in the biography of your last link...said they are also valuable as collector's items...

I'm glad they saved a lot of his works...they are so beautiful...

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Here's one article about the artist, Arthur Pinajian:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/ar...lery.html?_r=0

Another site about him:

http://www.pinajianart.com/
    Wow...beautiful art!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

--Niccolo Machiavelli"