827 users online (177 members and 650 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Magnotta March Prelim Hearing & Trial Day 1 - Sep 29, 2014 - Thread #1

Preliminary hearing starts tomorrow.

But if Magnotta’s lawyers have their way, the only people in the Montreal courtroom to hear the sordid details will be the prosecutors, the judge and a court clerk.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle9580667/
    Last edited by Salem; 09-29-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Any man's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in mankind,
    Therefore, send not to know, for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization

The Preliminary Hearing

Figured it was better to have a proper thread for the Preliminary Hearing which started today in Montreal.

So far, the day has been spent arguing back and forth whether media should be banned from the courtroom during the Preliminary hearing. SUN NEWS TV reported there was a heated exchange between defense lawyer Luc Leclair and the judge regarding the matter. The crown and attorneys for the media have countered they should be allowed.

I think Leclair's argument is a very valid one. This is the preliminary hearing, not the trial. If there already is a publication ban on the evidence at this hearing, what purpose does the media sitting there serve? In this modern world of technology with cell phones, texting, etc, leaks are bound to, and will happen if they're there. No matter what anyone thinks of the accused or the crime itself, every case should be treated the same, fairly, with fair due process. When the case originally unfolded last May/June, we all saw what a 3 ring circus it was in the media. Could there possibly be an unbiased jury that could decide this case? For those out there who hunger for all the gory details of this case, just be patient, you'll get your fill, at the trial. But the Preliminary Hearing should be protected, for the integrity of the process as a whole. If you're shaking your head no, consider this.... do you really want any possible technicalities or 'outs' the defense could use in the case?

The public should trust the Crown and Defence to present their positions to the judge and decide if there's enough evidence to merit a trial. I think we all know what the answer is going to be.

A decision is expected Tuesday. We haven't even begun the actual Preliminary Hearing into the case.

Attached is a drawing of Magnotta in court today. White was the colour of the day for him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre

Lightbulb

Good! A separate thread for the preliminary trial. I've already placed links in the Media thread and in the Armchair section.

Please see those threads to get caught up if you haven't already done so.

Thanks,
    Stone

Seeking justice for Audrey Gleave
    -------------------------------------------
    *ALL POSTS ARE MY OWN OPINIONS UNLESS I GIVE A LINK OR REFER TO OTHERS*
    “The inspiration you seek is already inside you. Be silent and listen." ~ Rumi

Lightbulb

No link for this; just saw it on CTV.

He has FANS, one of whom has written to him a great deal. This fan came from North Carolina just to see him.

When interviewed by CTV, all the fan said was " He looks great. Don't listen to what the media says".

Oh sure.......I'm really interested ONLY in his looks!!

Yeah, I saw that video clip on CTV as well. That guy's name is Ethan and he has a tumblr blog dedicated to LM . Actually, there's still a surprising amount of tumblr and other blogs still maintained and dedicated to worshipping him.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Stone_Unturned View Post
    No link for this; just saw it on CTV.

He has FANS, one of whom has written to him a great deal. This fan came from North Carolina just to see him.

When interviewed by CTV, all the fan said was " He looks great. Don't listen to what the media says".

Oh sure.......I'm really interested ONLY in his looks!!

So this went on today ... any theories on what the conflict of interest could be? Why would Leclair be so emotional?
    I'm puzzled...

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...931/story.html
    Last edited by Haunted82; 03-13-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: update

Lightbulb

One lawyer leaves:

http://www.cp24.com/news/member-of-m...raws-1.1193464

Raphael Feldstein announced he would remove himself from the case after the Crown raised the issue about a possible conflict of interest.

The details of the alleged conflict, as with other evidence being heard during the preliminary hearing, are covered by a publication ban.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/member-of-m...#ixzz2NT8vrRFs

Court seemed like a bit of a circus today. The conflict of interest, the weeping and Feldstein leaving. Crazy!

Lightbulb

Could the weeping have been simply great acting? And, the Oscar goes to.........................

Could the weeping have been simply great acting? And, the Oscar goes to.........................

Just out of curiosity: What makes you think that he was acting?

Lightbulb

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by italianWSfan View Post
    Just out of curiosity: What makes you think that he was acting?
    Good question. Perhaps as a diversion from Magnotta's showing no emotion. To add some emotion to the courtroom's defence side. To add a human side (a good human side/reaction) to this ungodly thing. On the side of the defence.

Uuugh, I wish there wasn't a publication ban. There has to be a twitter feed or something from someone in the courtroom who is hearing the testimony.

I'm not getting the point of having this open to the public and media, but a ban on reporting. At some point the info is going to leak, no?

Good question. Perhaps as a diversion from Magnotta's showing no emotion. To add some emotion to the courtroom's defence side. To add a human side (a good human side/reaction) to this ungodly thing. On the side of the defence.

You mean to put him and what he has done into a better light?
    Is that usual for a defence team to do such things?

Sorry if that is a stupid question, but this is basically the first crime case I follow intensively and I dont really know much about those court procedures...

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast