1219 users online (215 members and 1004 guests)  

Websleuths News

Jail was on his bucket list, so Ohio retiree skipped the traffic fine & did his time

Jail was on his bucket list, so he skipped the fine (cincinatti.com)
    After a long career as a Cincinnati Public Schools teacher, Obie Cargile went to work on his bucket list.

The 71-year-old runs marathons, travels around the country and roller skates – “I’m a beast on skates,” Cargile boasted – but he has several things he wants to do before the Grim Reaper comes calling.

In January, though, he proudly checked off of his bucket list one unusual item. Going to jail. By choice. “I said, ‘What the hell. I can do this easy, standing on my head,” Cargile said from his Walnut Hills home.

Cargile is no rabble-rouser. Aside from a few driving tickets, he has a spotless criminal record. He had a long career, spending most of it teaching at Taft and Withrow high schools He goes to bed at 8:30 every night to get up early to run.

He drove his pickup truck through Lincoln Heights when he was pulled over for improper brake lights.
    ---
    “I wasn’t planning on going to jail,” Cargile said. “When the opportunity came, I just took it. I was upset about the money. I told them I’d take the three days.”
    ---
    “Being free, what was I going to do? Every day, I get up, run and then get on the computer,” Cargile said. “It’s just a misdemeanor. It doesn’t bother me at all. I’m 70 years old. What am I going to do?”

He didn’t lose his freedom, he insists. He gained an insight into the legal and jail systems and got to make his point. And he had fun.

“Oh yes, it was worth it. Oh yes. I had a good time,” he said.
    much more at the link, with a picture

This sounds like a very interesting man

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

I love this guy. He and I share another bucket list item - hike the appalachian trail. I've only hiked a couple of sections here in New England, but want to do a thru hike someday. I'd love to hike it with Obie!
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Jail was on his bucket list, so he skipped the fine (cincinatti.com)
    much more at the link, with a picture
    My kinda guy! 70 years old and still having fun and being adventurous. Wonder if he wants a younger woman to join him on his jaunts?
    JMO

Great article, very interesting and adventurous man. I bet he really did have a good time doing those three days.

Thanks for sharing the article!
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

He recommends more people go to jail instead of paying fines, lol.