Jail was on his bucket list, so Ohio retiree skipped the traffic fine & did his time

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Jail was on his bucket list, so he skipped the fine (cincinatti.com)
After a long career as a Cincinnati Public Schools teacher, Obie Cargile went to work on his bucket list.

The 71-year-old runs marathons, travels around the country and roller skates – “I’m a beast on skates,” Cargile boasted – but he has several things he wants to do before the Grim Reaper comes calling.

In January, though, he proudly checked off of his bucket list one unusual item. Going to jail. By choice. “I said, ‘What the hell. I can do this easy, standing on my head,” Cargile said from his Walnut Hills home.

Cargile is no rabble-rouser. Aside from a few driving tickets, he has a spotless criminal record. He had a long career, spending most of it teaching at Taft and Withrow high schools He goes to bed at 8:30 every night to get up early to run.

He drove his pickup truck through Lincoln Heights when he was pulled over for improper brake lights.
---
“I wasn’t planning on going to jail,” Cargile said. “When the opportunity came, I just took it. I was upset about the money. I told them I’d take the three days.”
---
“Being free, what was I going to do? Every day, I get up, run and then get on the computer,” Cargile said. “It’s just a misdemeanor. It doesn’t bother me at all. I’m 70 years old. What am I going to do?”

He didn’t lose his freedom, he insists. He gained an insight into the legal and jail systems and got to make his point. And he had fun.

“Oh yes, it was worth it. Oh yes. I had a good time,” he said.
much more at the link, with a picture

This sounds like a very interesting man :)

I love this guy. He and I share another bucket list item - hike the appalachian trail. I've only hiked a couple of sections here in New England, but want to do a thru hike someday. I'd love to hike it with Obie! :)

Great article, very interesting and adventurous man. I bet he really did have a good time doing those three days.

Thanks for sharing the article!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back