852 users online (114 members and 738 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

IL - Jonylah Watkins, 6 mos, shot to death, Chicago, 11 March 2013

This is almost beyond belief. It's time to restore the death penalty in Illinois.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2859436.html

March 12, 2013

The 6-month-old infant girl shot five times on Chicago's South Side Monday died in the hospital Tuesday morning.

Jonylah Watkins was rushed to Comer Children's Hospital Monday afternoon in serious-to-critical condition after being shot in the 6500 block of South Maryland Avenue in the city's Woodlawn neighborhood around 12:48 p.m. Her father, Jonathan Watkins, had been changing her diaper in the front passenger seat of a Chevy Venture minivan when a gunman approached them and opened fire. He fled in a waiting car.

Jonylah had sustained wounds in her lung, liver, leg, shoulder and bowel or intestine, according to DNAinfo Chicago, and had undergone at least five hours of surgery.
    Last edited by Salem; 05-27-2013 at 06:03 PM.

So terrible.

I heard the breaking news while driving this morning that the baby had died.

Yesterday's news was very brief and made it sound as if this father and baby were victims of cross fire. I now see that the father has known gang ties and this is believed to be gang related.

Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Tuesday that the shooting is very likely gang related, but police don’t have a strong witness at this point. Sources told CBS 2 that Jonylah’s father has documented gang ties.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/03/...lawn-shooting/
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Hopefully the poor child didn't suffer too much before he passed. Those wounds, plus bowel/intestine rupture, and an adult wouldn't stand a chance.

I hope to God they catch whoever was involved with this. If it turns out they knew the baby was in there, the death penalty would not be enough.

http://www.katu.com/news/national/Ch...197366971.html

At a news conference on Tuesday, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said Jonathan Watkins has an extensive criminal background and is a gang member.

It wasn't the family's first brush with Chicago's gun violence. The girl's mother, Judy Watkins, was shot in the knee while she was pregnant with Jonylah, according to the woman's mother, Mary Young.
    Just wish those in the gang life would not have children that can be targeted. so sad

you want to live the **** live you should not be breeding. I am sorry but this is just too much. I get it, you want to be all affiliated with a gang or gangbanger. Why then have babies?? Babies and gangs do not friggin mix people.

Just STOP it!

RIP little one.

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

Jonathan Watkins belongs to a gang and has a long criminal history, and Monday's attack appears to have been gang-related, McCarthy said at a Tuesday news conference. He said police weren't sure yet whether Watkins will decide to cooperate in the investigation.

http://www.katu.com/news/national/Ch...197366971.html

It's a sad day when I have to wonder if Dad was out with the baby so the baby could provide him some protection. Did he think rival gang members wouldn't shoot him if he had his 6 month old daughter with him?

Why was he changing his baby daughters diaper parked on the side of a residential side street? Seems like an odd choice of a place in a huge city when one can either go into a residence or a public place with public restrooms with diaper stations.

I'm sorry if that doesn't sound 'victim friendly' as dad chose to be a gang member and mama chose to marry a gang member. The adults had and made their choices here. This innocent baby did not and she paid with her life for those choices. Very sad.

Praying you get justice Jonylah.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

One article said the mother was shot in the knee when she was pregnant with Jonylah.

Unbelievable, this culture of gangs and violence. These communities are destroying themselves.

Police were reporting few solid leads today in the death of a 6-month-old girl who was shot along with her father while they were parked along a street in the Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side.

"We don't have one individual who's stepping up to help us," Superintendent Garry McCarthy told a news conference hours after Jonylah Watkins died at Comer Children's Hospital.

McCarthy said detectives have only a vague description of the gunman who emerged from a gangway in the 6500 block of South Maryland Avenue shortly before 1 p.m. Monday and opened fire.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3502423.story

I hope Jonylah isn't also a victim of the no-snitch rule.
    ~JMO~

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Police were reporting few solid leads today in the death of a 6-month-old girl who was shot along with her father while they were parked along a street in the Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side.

"We don't have one individual who's stepping up to help us," Superintendent Garry McCarthy told a news conference hours after Jonylah Watkins died at Comer Children's Hospital.

McCarthy said detectives have only a vague description of the gunman who emerged from a gangway in the 6500 block of South Maryland Avenue shortly before 1 p.m. Monday and opened fire.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3502423.story

I hope Jonylah isn't also a victim of the no-snitch rule.
    If the father won't give them information to help find the killer of his own daughter then he needs to be charged with obstruction at least, and anything else they can find...this article says there was a van involved...surely he recognized who that belonged to:

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...SNWU00L4_UNEWS

........"No child, certainly not an infant, should be a victim of gang violence," McCarthy said.

Authorities found surveillance video of the blue van in which they believe the attacker fled. They believe a driver waited in the van during the shooting.

McCarthy said police flooded the neighborhood Monday night to prevent a retaliatory attack over the infant girl's shooting.

"He was obviously targeted," McCarthy said of Jonathan Watkins. Police were trying to determine whether a reported Facebook post threatening Watkins actually exists, McCarthy said.

It wasn't the family's first brush with Chicago's gun violence. The girl's mother, Judy Watkins, was shot in the knee while she was pregnant with Jonylah, according to the woman's mother, Mary Young.

"There's too much shooting over there," Young told reporters Monday. Speaking of her granddaughter, she added, "She's nothing but 6 months old. How could anybody — what kind of heart?"

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Wow! Shows you just what a 'great' thing gangs are, the kind of 'men' they produce. He won't even cooperate to bring his daughter's killer to justice?
    smh

I'm not sure he saw the van. From the msm articles it appears he was facing the front passenger seat changing the babies diaper. The 'getaway' van was waiting in either a parking lot or alley so it might not have been seen from the street.

With a good description of the van, I think he will probably know who owns it.

I'm interested in how the bullet entered her right shoulder and then exited through her left thigh (IIRC). I'd think her head would be facing the drivers side door and her feet facing the passenger door. The only way I can make that work is if the shooter was at the drivers side, not at the passenger side and behind dad - as what I understood from MSM.

Hopefully the media will stay on this case and it won't be old news never mentioned in the papers again a week from now.

Justice for Jonylah!
    ~JMO~

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

Her mom was shot while she was pregnant and they STILL did not change their lifestyle?

(CNN) -- What kind of chance did little Jonylah Watkins of Chicago really have?
    When her mother was pregnant with her, the woman was shot in the leg, news reports say....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/12/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/...age320x240.jpg

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Ciq9q TfbGbkr71AhT0ckVs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvy6sPMx2H2jvR YzhtF1xFc6FB40xiOfUoExWL3M40tfzssyZqpeG_J0TFo7ZhRa DiHC9oxmioMlYVJD0A$3RbIiibgT65kY_CSDiCiUzvHvODrHAp bd6ry6YGl5GGOZrs-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I'm not sure he saw the van. From the msm articles it appears he was facing the front passenger seat changing the babies diaper. The 'getaway' van was waiting in either a parking lot or alley so it might not have been seen from the street.

With a good description of the van, I think he will probably know who owns it.

I'm interested in how the bullet entered her right shoulder and then exited through her left thigh (IIRC). I'd think her head would be facing the drivers side door and her feet facing the passenger door. The only way I can make that work is if the shooter was at the drivers side, not at the passenger side and behind dad - as what I understood from MSM.

Hopefully the media will stay on this case and it won't be old news never mentioned in the papers again a week from now.

Justice for Jonylah!
    BBM - the video in the OP showed the driver's window broken out, so it seems the shots did come from that side...so that also means the father was facing the shooter....it also says the blue van was waiting 'nearby'....whether the father could see it or not wasn't indicated....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by marycarney View Post
    Wow! Shows you just what a 'great' thing gangs are, the kind of 'men' they produce. He won't even cooperate to bring his daughter's killer to justice?
    smh
    This is what LE said at the conference:

He said police weren't sure yet whether Watkins will decide to cooperate in the investigation.
    I suppose due to the 'law of the gang not to snitch' and that threats had supposedly been made against him on FB. Right now, he is still in the hospital.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast