IL - Jonylah Watkins, 6 mos, shot to death, Chicago, 11 March 2013 *Arrest*

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
This is almost beyond belief. It's time to restore the death penalty in Illinois.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/12/jonylah-watkins-dies-6-mo_n_2859436.html

March 12, 2013

The 6-month-old infant girl shot five times on Chicago's South Side Monday died in the hospital Tuesday morning.

Jonylah Watkins was rushed to Comer Children's Hospital Monday afternoon in serious-to-critical condition after being shot in the 6500 block of South Maryland Avenue in the city's Woodlawn neighborhood around 12:48 p.m. Her father, Jonathan Watkins, had been changing her diaper in the front passenger seat of a Chevy Venture minivan when a gunman approached them and opened fire. He fled in a waiting car.

Jonylah had sustained wounds in her lung, liver, leg, shoulder and bowel or intestine, according to DNAinfo Chicago, and had undergone at least five hours of surgery.

I heard the breaking news while driving this morning that the baby had died.

Yesterday's news was very brief and made it sound as if this father and baby were victims of cross fire. I now see that the father has known gang ties and this is believed to be gang related.

Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Tuesday that the shooting is very likely gang related, but police don’t have a strong witness at this point. Sources told CBS 2 that Jonylah’s father has documented gang ties.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/03/12/baby-remains-in-critical-condition-after-woodlawn-shooting/

Hopefully the poor child didn't suffer too much before he passed. :( Those wounds, plus bowel/intestine rupture, and an adult wouldn't stand a chance.

I hope to God they catch whoever was involved with this. If it turns out they knew the baby was in there, the death penalty would not be enough. :furious:

http://www.katu.com/news/national/Chicago-infant-shot-5-times-dies-dad-in-critical-197366971.html

At a news conference on Tuesday, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said Jonathan Watkins has an extensive criminal background and is a gang member.

It wasn't the family's first brush with Chicago's gun violence. The girl's mother, Judy Watkins, was shot in the knee while she was pregnant with Jonylah, according to the woman's mother, Mary Young.

Just wish those in the gang life would not have children that can be targeted. so sad

you want to live the live you should not be breeding. I am sorry but this is just too much. I get it, you want to be all affiliated with a gang or gangbanger. Why then have babies?? Babies and gangs do not friggin mix people.

Just STOP it!

RIP little one.

Jonathan Watkins belongs to a gang and has a long criminal history, and Monday's attack appears to have been gang-related, McCarthy said at a Tuesday news conference. He said police weren't sure yet whether Watkins will decide to cooperate in the investigation.

http://www.katu.com/news/national/Chicago-infant-shot-5-times-dies-dad-in-critical-197366971.html

It's a sad day when I have to wonder if Dad was out with the baby so the baby could provide him some protection. Did he think rival gang members wouldn't shoot him if he had his 6 month old daughter with him?

Why was he changing his baby daughters diaper parked on the side of a residential side street? Seems like an odd choice of a place in a huge city when one can either go into a residence or a public place with public restrooms with diaper stations.

I'm sorry if that doesn't sound 'victim friendly' as dad chose to be a gang member and mama chose to marry a gang member. The adults had and made their choices here. This innocent baby did not and she paid with her life for those choices. Very sad.

Praying you get justice Jonylah.

One article said the mother was shot in the knee when she was pregnant with Jonylah.

Unbelievable, this culture of gangs and violence. These communities are destroying themselves.

Police were reporting few solid leads today in the death of a 6-month-old girl who was shot along with her father while they were parked along a street in the Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side.

"We don't have one individual who's stepping up to help us," Superintendent Garry McCarthy told a news conference hours after Jonylah Watkins died at Comer Children's Hospital.

McCarthy said detectives have only a vague description of the gunman who emerged from a gangway in the 6500 block of South Maryland Avenue shortly before 1 p.m. Monday and opened fire.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...in-woodlawn-shooting-20130311,0,3502423.story

I hope Jonylah isn't also a victim of the no-snitch rule. :furious:

Police were reporting few solid leads today in the death of a 6-month-old girl who was shot along with her father while they were parked along a street in the Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side.

"We don't have one individual who's stepping up to help us," Superintendent Garry McCarthy told a news conference hours after Jonylah Watkins died at Comer Children's Hospital.

McCarthy said detectives have only a vague description of the gunman who emerged from a gangway in the 6500 block of South Maryland Avenue shortly before 1 p.m. Monday and opened fire.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...in-woodlawn-shooting-20130311,0,3502423.story

I hope Jonylah isn't also a victim of the no-snitch rule. :furious:

If the father won't give them information to help find the killer of his own daughter then he needs to be charged with obstruction at least, and anything else they can find...this article says there was a van involved...surely he recognized who that belonged to:

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=4&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L4_UNEWS

........"No child, certainly not an infant, should be a victim of gang violence," McCarthy said.

Authorities found surveillance video of the blue van in which they believe the attacker fled. They believe a driver waited in the van during the shooting.

McCarthy said police flooded the neighborhood Monday night to prevent a retaliatory attack over the infant girl's shooting.

"He was obviously targeted," McCarthy said of Jonathan Watkins. Police were trying to determine whether a reported Facebook post threatening Watkins actually exists, McCarthy said.

It wasn't the family's first brush with Chicago's gun violence. The girl's mother, Judy Watkins, was shot in the knee while she was pregnant with Jonylah, according to the woman's mother, Mary Young.

"There's too much shooting over there," Young told reporters Monday. Speaking of her granddaughter, she added, "She's nothing but 6 months old. How could anybody — what kind of heart?"

Wow! Shows you just what a 'great' thing gangs are, the kind of 'men' they produce. He won't even cooperate to bring his daughter's killer to justice?
smh

I'm not sure he saw the van. From the msm articles it appears he was facing the front passenger seat changing the babies diaper. The 'getaway' van was waiting in either a parking lot or alley so it might not have been seen from the street.

With a good description of the van, I think he will probably know who owns it.

I'm interested in how the bullet entered her right shoulder and then exited through her left thigh (IIRC). I'd think her head would be facing the drivers side door and her feet facing the passenger door. The only way I can make that work is if the shooter was at the drivers side, not at the passenger side and behind dad - as what I understood from MSM.

Hopefully the media will stay on this case and it won't be old news never mentioned in the papers again a week from now.

Justice for Jonylah!

:furious:

Her mom was shot while she was pregnant and they STILL did not change their lifestyle?

(CNN) -- What kind of chance did little Jonylah Watkins of Chicago really have?
When her mother was pregnant with her, the woman was shot in the leg, news reports say....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/12/justice/illinois-baby-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

image320x240.jpg

http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated...h-watkins-13630490711534.jpg/image320x240.jpg

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Ciq9qTfbGbkr71AhT0ckVs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvy6sPMx2H2jvRYzhtF1xFc6FB40xiOfUoExWL3M40tfzssyZqpeG_J0TFo7ZhRaDiHC9oxmioMlYVJD0A$3RbIiibgT65kY_CSDiCiUzvHvODrHApbd6ry6YGl5GGOZrs-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

I'm not sure he saw the van. From the msm articles it appears he was facing the front passenger seat changing the babies diaper. The 'getaway' van was waiting in either a parking lot or alley so it might not have been seen from the street.

With a good description of the van, I think he will probably know who owns it.

I'm interested in how the bullet entered her right shoulder and then exited through her left thigh (IIRC). I'd think her head would be facing the drivers side door and her feet facing the passenger door. The only way I can make that work is if the shooter was at the drivers side, not at the passenger side and behind dad - as what I understood from MSM.

Hopefully the media will stay on this case and it won't be old news never mentioned in the papers again a week from now.

Justice for Jonylah!

BBM - the video in the OP showed the driver's window broken out, so it seems the shots did come from that side...so that also means the father was facing the shooter....it also says the blue van was waiting 'nearby'....whether the father could see it or not wasn't indicated....

Wow! Shows you just what a 'great' thing gangs are, the kind of 'men' they produce. He won't even cooperate to bring his daughter's killer to justice?
smh

This is what LE said at the conference:

He said police weren't sure yet whether Watkins will decide to cooperate in the investigation.

I suppose due to the 'law of the gang not to snitch' and that threats had supposedly been made against him on FB. Right now, he is still in the hospital.

Why was he changing her diaper on the side of the road, in a neighborhood he knew was dangerous? Something doesn't add up. Was he waiting for a drug deal?

Why was he changing her diaper on the side of the road, in a neighborhood he knew was dangerous? Something doesn't add up. Was he waiting for a drug deal?

PLUS it was cold! I thought that was really hinky in the beginning.

Seriously, pull into a McDonald's fgs

Was it on the side of a road - or the side of a street, as in a parking space? I can see if he had pulled over and parked, as if getting ready to go into a store, etc. But--- otherwise, if the van was waiting on him, seems like someone knew he was going to be there, IMO. Wonder if discarded diapers had something more valuable in them? Maybe I'm putting too much into it. Just trying to figure out what was going on.

BBM - the video in the OP showed the driver's window broken out, so it seems the shots did come from that side...so that also means the father was facing the shooter....it also says the blue van was waiting 'nearby'....whether the father could see it or not wasn't indicated....

Thanks you. I don't have working speakers so I almost never look at the videos. The snippet in the OP says he was changing the babies diaper in the front passenger seat. I kind of assumed he was standing outside while the infant was laying on the front passenger seat, but it's possible he had her laying on the front seat and changed her from the drivers seat? (but then how did he get her out of a car seat, and was she in a car seat?)

According to MSM he was shot in the buttock so I assume he was standing when shot. Possibly facing the drivers side and if the passenger door was open, that would explain why only the drivers side window was shot out.

PLUS it was cold! I thought that was really hinky in the beginning.

Seriously, pull into a McDonald's fgs

His wife, the baby's mother works at a McDonald's. One of the MSM articles showed her in her work uniform.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back