NM NM - Mary Han, 44, Albuquerque, 18 Nov 2010

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ws_id=19372519&src=most_popular_viewed&page=1

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Mary Han was a successful civil rights attorney who for decades battled over the rights of abused women, accused prostitutes and the homeless. In the close-knit Albuquerque legal community, she was known as a spitfire whose fervor was often directed at one entity in particular: The city's troubled police department.

Now, more than two years after Han was found dead in her garage in what authorities deemed a suicide, the department is under scrutiny amid questions over whether officers mishandled the investigation into the death of their former adversary.

The state attorney general's office is looking into the matter. It has also asked federal officials, who last year launched a civil rights probe into the department's high number of police shootings, to look at the case...............

Han's law partner, Paul Kennedy, discovered her body the next morning in the garage of her home after she failed to come to work or contact her assistant.

She was sitting in the driver's seat of her BMW, reading glasses on, feet propped up on the dash with the driver's door and the windows open, according to police reports. Found in the car were a pair of brown slippers, a robe with a bottle of Ambien in the pocket and a glass with clear liquid. The door between the garage and the house was open.............

Much more at link....intriguing case....wonder what actually happened, suicide or murder....

How awful. It sounds like suicide or maybe even an accident while drinking, but then again, could have been set up by someone who had seen suicides. I wonder what her blood alcohol was.

How awful. It sounds like suicide or maybe even an accident while drinking, but then again, could have been set up by someone who had seen suicides. I wonder what her blood alcohol was.

I read over this article again and nothing was said about BAL or what the 'clear liquid' found was.....part of the problem in the investigation was so many people tramping through the scene:

Juliano, a former field investigator for the city's medical examiner's office, said he found nothing to indicate foul play. But he also doesn't believe Han fit the profile for suicide.

"There was nothing to indicate she was depressed. Her financial situation was fine. She was looking forward to holidays with the family."

Still, he said, the myriad unanswered questions could have been eliminated if police had properly locked down and fully investigated the scene.

Said Juliano: "If things are not done right in the beginning, it creates a lot of conspiracy theories."

I'll try to find some more local information and articles...

Whoa...
Why did 24 cops need to be there??? And the only tox mentioned was an incredibly high CO level; but her car door, windows, & the door from the house to the garage were all open. No mention of alcohol, Ambien, or other substances in her blood.
Plus 28 police shootings that have left 18 people dead in the past 3 yrs. Something's not right here, IMO.

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2012/09/24/upfront/cellphones-sought-in-han-death-case.html

Just one story I found interesting regarding cops using their cellphones to take photos at the death scene. As a former EMT, this makes me angry...and sad. Intolerable, IMHO.

Agree, and then it shows several of those phones disappeared later...

Here is another article from 2011 with some more information but still nothing about BAL....wonder what the autopsy showed? When $100K worth of jewelry is missing something is wrong also...

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/family:-apd-botched-attorney's-death

Han was found dead inside her BMW in her closed garage. News 13 got copies of the police reports from that day.

Han was in the driver's seat with her feet up on the dash. Police said a tumbler with vodka was in the center console, and sleeping pills in the passenger seat.

Both cops, and Han's law partner Paul Kennedy, who found her body, said the house and garage were full of carbon monoxide. But, the first officer on scene made it clear things weren't right.

He noted all of Han's car windows were down, her car was cool to the touch, and the battery was dead. A BMW expert told officers the car would have to be out of gas for it to turn off, but when officers jumped it, it still had half a tank.

Han's sister then alerted police that Han's wallet was out of her purse and her jewelry was missing.

911 call

[video=youtube;iANjipVork4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iANjipVork4[/video]

This case about the supposed corrupt ABQ police made me think of the case of Kaitlyn Arquette. She was the daughter of Lois Duncan, who wrote the book "I know what you did last summer". The official website for her alleges there was a police cover-up: "Kaitlyn Arquette, 18, was murdered in Albuquerque on July 16, 1989. Albuquerque police dubbed the shooting a "random drive-by" and refused to investigate any other possibility"

Not trying to go OT and start bringing Kaitlyn's case into this...just that hearing this story about the ABQ LE made me think of her case.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

No prob...thanks for the videos and some good information....the more the better in a case with all these questions....I'm thinking Mary Han had some enemies....with what has been shown so far, I just can't see her committing suicide...she was too much a fighter, for herself and others...

This case about the supposed corrupt ABQ police made me think of the case of Kaitlyn Arquette. She was the daughter of Lois Duncan, who wrote the book "I know what you did last summer". The official website for her alleges there was a police cover-up: "Kaitlyn Arquette, 18, was murdered in Albuquerque on July 16, 1989. Albuquerque police dubbed the shooting a "random drive-by" and refused to investigate any other possibility"

Not trying to go OT and start bringing Kaitlyn's case into this...just that hearing this story about the ABQ LE made me think of her case.

Kaitlyn was my first thought also, when I saw this thread.

I think she was murdered.

JMO, IMO, :moo: , and all other disclaimers.

Embattled Albuquerque, NM, police chief to retire

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<DA51NTQ84@news.ap.org>&ps=931

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The head of Albuquerque's embattled police department says he's retiring after an eight-year tenure marred by a spike in fatal police shootings and excessive force cases that critics blamed on a departmental culture that fostered brutality.

Chief Ray Schultz's announcement on Friday comes five months after the U.S. Department of Justice launched a civil rights investigation that was spurred by protests, lawsuits and demands for a wide-scale change............

In a letter sent to the city's chief administrative officer Wednesday, Schultz said he plans to retire sometime during the summer or fall. The letter was released Friday by the mayor's office and the Police Department.........more....

Well, well, well........with the AG investigating Han's death and the civil rights investigation, maybe some changes are coming...hope the truth comes out on this case....

From October 2015:

http://www.abqjournal.com/661279/news/mary-hans-family-still-fighting-autopsys-suicide-finding.html

Her death attracted almost every top APD official, dozens of them allowed to traipse in and out of Han&#8217;s home. But not a single APD investigator was brought in to conduct an examination of the scene.

An autopsy report by the OMI listed Han&#8217;s death as a suicide by carbon monoxide intoxication at a saturation level of a whopping 84.8 percent.

Such a high level should have raised a host of red flags, especially given that the garage was not airtight and the BMW should have had a sensor that turned off the car before dangerous air levels were reached.

From last month:

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s4011009.shtml#.VsYUvDZlm8o

The former records custodian for the Albuquerque Police Department filed a whistleblower lawsuit Monday against several high-profile employees of the city of Albuquerque and its police department that claims he was forced by the police department to hide information from the public and was fired because he reported the misconduct...

Some of the high-profile cases he handled were the Mary Han case, cases involving Bernalillo County District Attorney Kari Brandenburg, APD use of force cases, APD officer-involved shootings...

The lawsuit says Chavez would have to gather all the records for those cases from multiple departments, then was required to seek approval from higher-ups to release the documents, even though they were required to be released under IPRA law.

The suit says the defendants would then tell Chavez to deny, withhold, obstruct, conceal or destroy records from being produced for various reasons.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back