1292 users online (257 members and 1035 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TX - Iris "Hootie" Owens, 77, Purdon, 1 March 2005

This one is very close to home... I have known this woman all of my life and her deceased husband (he died at Christmas) was close friends of my brother..

No details in the news... but this is the story that I got

She was last seen at the Post office in her home town of Purdon Texas on Wednesday Afternoon at aprox. 3pm.. Her house is locked up tight, no one has heard from her since then. Her car was found abandoned in yesterday near Roane Texas apparently after it became stuck in the mud. No sign of her, and only muddy footprints leading from the car.
    /

"Would some power the Giftee gie us To see ourselves as others see us" R.Burns

Gabby

I just e-mailed you with some contact information for SAR in Texas.

Many prayers for Iris, Lanie

I have not heard anything else nor have I had any of the phone calls that I have made returned... Please keep Iris in your prayers as the weather here is cold and damp ... pray for her safe return.
    /

How old is Iris? Does she have family locally? Was her car found on the road or off the road?I hope that she is found safe.

DOB: 9-16-27
    Date missing: 3-1-04
    Age now: 77
    Height: 5'
    Weight: 90 #
    Hair: Blonde & Gray
    Eyes: Blue

Race: Caucasion
    Sex: Female
    Nickname: Hootie

Iris has been missing since March 1, 2005 when she told a friend she was going to Wal-Mart. She has not been seen or heard from since.

Iris has trouble with her short term memory.

Her vehicle was found on March 4, 2005, a 2001 White Toyota Corolla, Texas license plate Z16-RGK in Corsicana, Texas near 5th Street and I-45 area.

Mrs. Owen's family is offering a reward to anyone with information leading to the whereabouts of Iris. If you have any information, please contact the Navarro County Sheriff's Department at (903) 654-3002 OR

United Response SAR team (817) 501-9296 or (214) 687-7814.

Iris' Printable Poster is now available for download.

Please print and post in local businesses and anywhere you deem appropriate, and thanks.

Persons in the area are asked to contact URSARteam immediately for Search and Rescue. http://www.ursarteam.org

With prayers of HOPE, Lanie

ariel7 is offline For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
    Please keep us up to date on this Gabby.
    I sure hope she is found ok! I am praying for her!

Love,

Ariel

3/6 BREAKING NEWS: Missing elderly woman's car found on muddy road

From Staff Reports

Search crews are looking for 77-year-old Iris Owens of Purdon, missing since Tuesday, rescue officials said. Owens' car was found by a farmer Saturday morning off East Fifth Avenue near Interstate 45 in what one rescue official termed, "literally, a mud road."

Dana Ames with United Response, Search and Rescue said foul play is suspected.

"There was a beer can in the car, and she doesn't drink," Ames said. "And, the seat had been moved back."

None of Owens' personal affects were found in the car, either, and the keys were missing and car was locked up, Ames said.

According to search officials, Owens was last heard from Tuesday, apparently headed to Wal-Mart sometime late in the afternoon or early evening. The Corbet-Oak Valley Volunteer Fire Department, a local branch of United Response, Search and Rescue, was contacted about helping find Owens, who does suffer from some level of dementia, said Ames, who is with the Dallas chapter. The Dallas unit became involved Friday, an Navarro County Sheriff's Office official said.

NCSO is assisting, and a detective there is pursuing surveillance video from Wal-Mart, Ames said.
    Searchers are continuing a grid search from the location of the car's discovery west toward Wal-Mart, a distance of about 10 miles on Seventh Avenue (State Highway 31), through the heart of Corsicana.

Corsicana Daily Sun

With love and HOPE, Lanie

I know nothing more than what Lanie has already posted --- things just don't look good --but as long as she is alive, there is hope... Pray for her to be alive, and just scared so badly that she doesn't know where she is or what is going on right now. Little Hootie would never harm anyone, and she is so shy...
    /

Missing elderly woman's car found on muddy road

By The Associated Press
    (03/0/05 - CORSICANA, TX) Authorities are searching for a 77-year-old woman whose car was found abandoned off a muddy road in Corsicana.

Iris Owens has been missing since Tuesday, when search officials say she was apparently headed to Wal-Mart in this North Texas city, about 14 miles from her home in the tiny town of Purdon.

Sunday morning a farmer found her car on a road east of Interstate 45, about 10 miles from the Wal-Mart. A beer can was found in the car, and Owens doesn't drink. That's according to Dana Ames of United Response, a search and rescue operation helping to look for the woman. Also, the seat had been moved back.

None of Owens' personal items were found in the car, the keys were missing and the car was locked. That's what Ames told the Corsicana Daily Sun.

A detective from the Navarro County Sheriff's Office has been assigned to the case, but the department had few details.

Channel 13

Praying today brings Iris home, Lanie

From Today's Corsicana Daily Sun

http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/art...ews/news01.txt

Purdon woman is missing: Law enforcement officials are not ruling out foul play in the case

From Staff Reports

Search crews are looking for 77-year-old Iris Owens of Purdon, missing since Tuesday, rescue officials said. Owens' car was found by a farmer Saturday morning off East Fifth Avenue east of Interstate 45 in what one rescue official termed, "literally, a mud road."

Dana Ames with United Response, a search and rescue operation, said foul play is suspected.

"There was a beer can in the car, and she doesn't drink," Ames said. "And, the seat had been moved back."

None of Owens' personal affects were found in the car, either, and the keys were missing and car was locked up, Ames said.

A detective from the Navarro County Sheriff's Office has been assigned to the case, but the department had few details Sunday afternoon. A missing person report was filed at some point last week and information was dispersed from NCSO to other agencies, said Corsicana Police Department Sgt. Louis Palos.

According to search officials, Owens was last heard from Tuesday, apparently headed to Wal-Mart sometime late in the afternoon or early evening. The Corbet-Oak Valley Volunteer Fire Department, a local branch of United Response, was contacted about helping find Owens, who does suffer from some level of dementia, said Ames, who is with the Dallas chapter. The Dallas unit became involved Friday, an NCSO official said.
    The NCSO detective is pursuing surveillance video from Wal-Mart, Ames said.

Searchers worked a grid search from the location of the car's discovery west toward Wal-Mart, a distance of about 10 miles on Seventh Avenue (State Highway 31), through the heart of Corsicana. The road is concrete for some distance, then turns into dirt, or with the recent rains, mud.

Ames said emergency officials were receiving conflicting reports on the level of Owens' dementia. She believed Owens suffered from some short-term memory loss, but not long-term, and that it was not severe.

Ames did say for the vehicle to get to where it was found, the driver had to navigate a narrow, dilapidated bridge. That is something Owens' relatives said she would never have attempted, even at a younger age, another reason searchers believe foul play was involved, Ames said.

While Owens' dementia could have led her to the site where the car was abandoned, Ames said, typically people with memory loss do not take all of their personal items with them when they wonder off.

(Mods feel free to delete parts if it infringes on copyrights)
    /

This is so sad ... I hope this isn't another Walmart parking lot abduction.
    Parking lots are seemingly dangerous places to be these days.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    This is so sad ... I hope this isn't another Walmart parking lot abduction.
    Parking lots are seemingly dangerous places to be these days.

I would be willing to bet that is a good possibility....I wonder if Iris ever locked her car? Most people from Purdon don't. I know I spent the first 30 years of my life in that small town.
    /

Praying for her safe return!!

finally....

WFAA the ABC affiliate in Dallas/Fort Worth
    and FOX4 in dallas, Ft.Worth are covering the Story
    I am not sure about Channel 11 which is CBS but at least three of the 4 major stations are carrying the story... WFAA will air their report at 10pm ...
    /

Here's an update from LE via WFAA.com

Earlier reports that a beer can was found in the car of the nondrinker can be explained by the fact that she sold aluminum cans and had a bag of cans in the back of the car, according to Navarro County Chief Deputy Mike Cox.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast