1027 users online (188 members and 839 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Michelle Williams in Redface?

This is part of an 8 image photo spread and it is causing a very powerful reaction across the WWW.

From THIS ARTICLE:
    "Before you jump the gun and say this isn't an imitation of Native American dress and physicality, let us point out a few things. Michelle Williams currently has a blond pixie cut,” writes Lexi Nisita. “So it's not like they just braided her hair coincidentally. They added super-long, thick, black extensions and braided them – and darkened her eyebrows … [the look] appears to mimic the stark relief of facial features often seen in early portraits of Native American women."
    Sleuthers, what do you think?
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

If it wasn't for the wig and the feather I'd think she was just another grunge kid.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with the picture?

Please inform me on why I should be outraged. Lol

If the feathers are real hawk feathers, it is illegal by federal law to posess them. Hawk/eagle feathers are sacred and traditional. As for it being a 'lol' thing, as an Indian, I'm not seeing the humor. If people want their traditions and spiritual items respected, they need to have respect for others. It's that pesky 'Golden Rule' thing. IMHO

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

I'm willing to bet good money they aren't real hawk feathers... They look like something that girls get clamped into their hair at the carnival.

I don't know, if she was purposely trying to be offensive it might make more sense. But to me the outrage makes very little sense. She's just a girl making a living by looking pretty in the clothing and makeup and wigs she's told to wear. It's not even like this was probably her idea.

To those who don"t understand the offense, they will not see the offense.

My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaliLucia View Post
    I'm willing to bet good money they aren't real hawk feathers... They look like something that girls get clamped into their hair at the carnival.

I don't know, if she was purposely trying to be offensive it might make more sense. But to me the outrage makes very little sense. She's just a girl making a living by looking pretty in the clothing and makeup and wigs she's told to wear. It's not even like this was probably her idea.
    Hmm, I am not sure I would give her this kind of out. I am certain she has some creative control here and clearly she didnt think about it, in fact no one did. I think blackface is a fair comparison. I just wonder where we are as a society as to whether or not it is acceptable to depict ourselves as another race or culture. JMVHO.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

After looking at the whole spread, I'm on the fence. She has the same cheekbone contouring in many shots. She has a range of hair colors and looks. It's possible they were trying to evoke a modern 90s grunge aesthetic with this shot, and ended up with this. When I look at the different photos from the shoot, they seem to be modern interpretations of past eras of fashion, so it's possible that's what they intended.

However, I do see how it can be interpreted as red face. It's not as egregious as the Karlie Kloss for the Victoria's Secret fashion show or the No Doubt video, but if they were appropriating native culture to liven up a shoot, that's disrespectful. Even if the intent was not there, now that it's been pointed out what it evokes, it should be addressed.
    “Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

In no way should any of my statements be construed as legal opinion or advice. While I am a lawyer, I am not a verified poster here at WS. The above statement(s) are an expression of my personal opinion, for entertainment purposes only, and copyright.

Would it be acceptable if she were dressed in 40s manner,still had the gaunt look and numbers tattooed on her forearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie Estes View Post
    Would it be acceptable if she were dressed in 40s manner,still had the gaunt look and numbers tattooed on her forearm?
    I don't think that's an exact one to one comparison - I think a more apt comparison would be dressed in a sari wearing a bindi. It's an issue of cultural appropriation. A Holocaust reference, given the many different people imprisoned, isn't really a cultural appropriation in the same way. Personally, I think a Holocaust reference could be tastefully done perhaps, but dressing up in a sari and bindi is equal to dressing in a war bonnet and neither should be done.
    “Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

In no way should any of my statements be construed as legal opinion or advice. While I am a lawyer, I am not a verified poster here at WS. The above statement(s) are an expression of my personal opinion, for entertainment purposes only, and copyright.

fwiw:

AnOther has responded to the criticism, telling E! that "the image in question in no way intends to mimic, trivialize or stereotype any particular ethnic group." A rep for the magazine added, "While we dispute the suggestion that the image has a racist subtext in the strongest possible terms, we're mortified to think that anyone would interpret it that way."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2860914.html
    *** THIS POST IS JMO (unless a link is provided) AND IS ONLY FOR USE ON WEBSLEUTHS -- PLEASE DO NOT LINK OR COPY IT ELSEWHERE ***

I don't see anything offensive about it. My DD wears feathers clipped into her hair and hanging from her ears quite often. She certainly means no disrespect to any other cultures. She just thinks they look pretty.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    I don't see anything offensive about it. My DD wears feathers clipped into her hair and hanging from her ears quite often. She certainly means no disrespect to any other cultures. She just thinks they look pretty.
    I think that the problem is that it's more than just feathers, which is why some people think that it's cultural appropriation. If it was just feathers clipped in her hair, I don't think there'd be a problem (provided they weren't hawk feathers).

The first time I glanced at this picture, I saw a Native American first, and Michelle Williams second.

I can absolutely see why it's just as offensive as blackface, and astonished that this type of thing made it to print.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie Estes View Post
    To those who don"t understand the offense, they will not see the offense.
    As always, my beloved sister, your words touch my heart. Every time I get to see some pendejo wearing a mariachi outfit thinking it is a Halloween costume, I rage.
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

http://www.anothermag.com/current/vi...helle_Williams

All 8 pictures can be found at the above link.
    There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief.. and unspeakable love. --Washington Irving

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast