GUILTY OH - Steubenville Rape Case, 11 Aug 2012 #2

This link may have live streaming for tomorrow.

Salem

The picture PP described was very upsetting. None of the 3 witnesses from prelim described photographing anything of that nature, but clearly someone did. I'm also puzzled by the top on, pants off description of the photo when most accounts had her as either being naked or top off, pants on.

Court is back in session, but the current witness has choosen not to be recorded, so the feed is on standby.

Must be a good time to fill up the coffee cup.

Salem

Has anyone seen another twitter feed that gives updates on the court times, etc?

Thank you for opening this thread and providing links and updates, Salem!

:gthanks:

You are welcome! I wish we were seeing something. All I have is that the witness doesn't want to be recorded.

Salem

You are welcome! I wish we were seeing something. All I have is that the witness doesn't want to be recorded.

Salem

It's really a shame that this poor girl has been victimized several tiimes in one night and now she and her young friends are too embarassed to be able to publicly stand up for themselves. It is a double-edged sword that really hinders a lot of victims from coming forward. Because not only are you a victim, you have to be ashamed to be a victim. The sadness is that society will likely victimize victims even more by playing the blame the victim game. It is my understanding that this girl has been subjected to intense ridicule at the hands of some at her school and on social media throughout this process in addition to what happened to her that night.

The difference is that she made a stupid mistake that hurt no one else.

These boys made several stupid mistakes that hurt this girl, her family, her friends, their own families, the reputation of their town, their school and all of their friends.

I was raped about 20 years ago by a guy I trusted and had drinks with. I was told they couldn't prosecute even though I had bruises on me and went to the police right away once I escaped. They said it was his word against mine, and the bruises could be attributed to "rough sex." The saddest part for me was that the prosecutors said they totally believed me and they thought he was scum of the earth, but they had just lost several similar cases in a row and were under pressure not to prosecute date rapes because it was a waste of their resources when they couldn't win convictions.
:furious:

Have been out this AM, but thought I'd share a few links for media updates:

Facebook for WTOV - this is a good place to watch. A couple of their reporters share info as they get a chance to leave the courthouse throughout the day:
https://www.facebook.com/WTOV9?ref=stream

If that link doesn't work (might be tied to my facebook?) search Google for Facebook "Fans of WTOV-TV".

Reporter's twitter accounts:

Reporters from WTRF
Laurie Conway https://twitter.com/LConwayWTRF
Sara Yingling https://twitter.com/SYinglingWTRF

Rachel Dissell, reporter with Plain Dealer https://twitter.com/RachelDissell

Thank LinTX - I added the twitter links to the first post. The LConway one is really pretty good for letting us know what is happening.

Salem

From what I'm reading the first few witnesses today were establishing validity of text msgs, pics, phone records and chains of evidence - SPD, Verizon, AT&T and BCI.

Here are some tweets regarding the actual testimony involving the text messages - I think that's what is now being read and testified to:

Laurie Conway ‏@LConwayWTRF
From @SYinglingWTRF: Graphic txt msgs are being read. One of the defendants looks concerned/worried and nervous. Family looks on concerned

Rachel Dissell ‏@RachelDissell
Teens sending nude photos around and the later making a cover story. One txt from 17 yrs old to girls dad saying sorry

Long afternoon of txt messages in court. Show coach and parents knew of incident within a day. Vic upset and wanting to know what happened

Alison Kartevold ‏@AlisonKartevold
Mays defense tells me they expect a key prosecution witness to recant previous testimony today during #Steubenville trial. We'll see #NBC

Lots of technical testimony today in #Steubenville regarding cell phones. Teens had massive amounts of data on phones to be sifted though.

Eric Minor - News9
Break in trial. BCI forensics expert reviewed 17 phones. 244,760 texts and 94,254 pix. On ONE phone. We will review much of that next.

Fans/WTOV-TV Facebook
Testimony from the first BCI agent goes over specific text messages between the alleged victim, the defendants and other teens. Some text messages are graphic

Comments on WTOV FB contain the most recent WTOV update from reporter Eric Minor on their live feed:

-*Eric Minor BCI is reading back line by line text messages from defendants to other boys and JD. live update. #Steubenville

-Language is shocking, disturbing and about sexual relations that night. Eric Minor live update. #Steubenville Mike Nogay says admissable

-Compels defendants to take the stand and say they didn't "say that". Mike Nogay says very damaging as if they are writing it.

-JD is asking throught texts "Why didn't you protect me? " also What happened to me? Texting friends, admitting into evidence.

-Eric Minor states "Pretty damaging evidence". Update over

BBM
**On the 2nd bolded comment, I remember yesterday Madison objected to witness #1 (friend of JD) when she stated that once the defendants got out of the car, JD lay on seat and began crying. He said she never mentioned that before.

More comments:

Alison Kartevold ‏@AlisonKartevold
In a text Mays says what he did to alleged victim while she slept. If true, the act could represent digital penetration #NBC

WTOv-TV viewer wrote:
Eric Minor just reported reading his notes 1 defendant text friend saying "I got Reno, he took care of it"

I dont know what to say. I think that until this trial and until the description of the photo that set Nodianos off, I really didnt know how bad it was. I mean, I thought I knew that it was bad enough. But OMG.

Prayers for this victim. She didnt do anything at all that should have led to this. Shame on everyone else.

**Warning-graphic testimony**

I think this link is important to bring over, but I dont know how to introduce it.

LINK HERE

The picture PP described was very upsetting. None of the 3 witnesses from prelim described photographing anything of that nature, but clearly someone did. I'm also puzzled by the top on, pants off description of the photo when most accounts had her as either being naked or top off, pants on.

This supports unofficial claims not included in the assault charges that the assaults against Jane Doe took place throughout the evening and involved more than digital penetration. The prosecutors are typically only going to charge what they believe they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Also, in Ohio, all the sexual assaults of the evening may only add up to ~one count~ for each alleged attacker, because there was only one victim, so bringing in any more assaults than the minimum required can make proving guilt more difficult. Also, without prior offenses, any assault at any level against Jane Doe may have resulted in the same criminal penalty, so going in-depth for assaults that she doesn't remember and have/had fewer cooperating witnesses or corroborating evidence would weaken their case unnecessarily. I'm familiar with this type of criminal court process, but not from Ohio.

They are testifying to different photos. Not all photos were saved. :seeya:

Just saying to Arizona, it is 7:06 p.m. in Ohio and trial is still in session.

1h Laurie Conway ‏@LConwayWTRF
I do want to tell you that my engineer told me Coach Renos name came up twice during witness 12 testimony this afternoon. #RapeTrial
from Steubenville, OH

Laurie Conway ‏@LConwayWTRF
He said in a note passed to me: Reno's name came up two times. Once it was said he was joking about the situation and had taken care of it.
from Steubenville, OH

Wonder what spin the school try about this development? Have been reading some local sports boards, and can tell you this has hit some of the Reno/Big Red defenders pretty hard.

Asst Coach Belardine supplied the alcohol and party house - why hasn't he been arrested and suspended / fired by the school system?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emmachabada
Back