Medieval knight's "mysterious" remains found buried beneath parking lot in Edinburgh

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Medieval Knight Found Under Parking Lot In Scotland; Mysterious Remains Thrill Archeologists (Huffington Post)
Archeologists this week announced the discovery of an unidentified medieval knight's skeleton buried along with several other bodies under a Scottish parking lot.

The knight -- or possibly nobleman -- was uncovered during construction work, according to The Scotsman. Also found was an intricately carved sandstone slab, several other human burial plots and a variety of artifacts researchers believe are from the 13th-century Blackfriars Monastery.

Councillor Richard Lewis, a member of the City of Edinburgh Council, said the archeological treasure trove has “the potential to be one of the most significant and exciting archaeological discoveries in the city for many years, providing us with yet more clues as to what life was like in Medieval Edinburgh," according to a statement released by the Edinburgh Center for Carbon Innovation (ECCI).

"We hope to find out more about the person buried in the tomb once we remove the headstone and get to the remains underneath but our archaeologists have already dated the gravestone to the thirteenth century," Lewis added.
---
much more, with pictures and links, at link above

Video here: Medieval knight remains found in Edinburgh car park (scotsman.com)

To me, the carvings in the stone are as much exciting of a find as the skeleton itself. I look forward to hearing more about both.

2960705883.jpg
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/cramond-dig-reveals-warriors-from-dark-ages-1-3904239

The latest computer technology has been deployed to create impressions of what all nine would have looked like ahead of some of the remains going on public display.

Experts who have worked on a two-year investigation say the discovery of a possible “lost royal stronghold” could cast crucial new light on the little-known history of the Dark Ages in Scotland.

At least two males uncovered in the makeshift grave are now believed to have been warriors after tests found they had survived a number of severe head wounds.

However up to three female members of the same sixth-century family are said to have met a “suffered a violent, murderous end” after being struck with blunt weapons.

It really is fascinating. It is so interesting that in England things can be found that are so much more older than the US because Columbus didn't come to the US till much later.

I know the remains of very old Natives of US soil are sometimes found but not near the volume of the tombs that we see being found in England and go way way back to the 1300 +1400's.

Something I find a little ironic is whenever a backhoe or digging equipment unearths a recently buried grave lets say less than 100 years old then us humans are quick to say leave it alone and don't disrupt their resting place. But when we uncover someone's buriel grounds from a very very long time ago then most people have no problem with digging everything up and treating it as "history". Just something I find a little ironic and something to think about :)

I just want to find some buried treasure. LOL

Hatfield, the USA is 5 times the size of Britain, so burial sites, "car parks" and schools are more spread out. Moreover, many native nations didn't believe in burial at all:

Guiding the Spirit

(Some) Native Americans believed they should not impede the spirit of the deceased from finding its way into the afterlife. They also believed they should help guide or aid the spirits ascent. Death rituals that were common for this purpose are:

• Not burying the body
  • Elevating the body in a tree or on a platform
  • Leaving an opening in the burial place or coffin...

http://dying.lovetoknow.com/native-american-death-rituals

Such procedures would tend to preclude later discovery of remains, obviously.

Hatfield, the USA is 5 times the size of Britain, so burial sites, "car parks" and schools are more spread out. Moreover, many native nations didn't believe in burial at all:

Such procedures would tend to preclude later discovery of remains, obviously.

Very interesting. Thanks.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3