920 users online (179 members and 741 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

AZ - Michael Milke, 4, brutally murdered, Phoenix, 2 Dec 1989

Prosecutors said Milke confessed to the crime but that Detective Armando Saldate, who obtained the confession, failed to tape record it, according to KNXV. Milke denied that she ever confessed, but was found guilty and sentenced to death.

Saldate's history, according to the court ruling, includes eight cases in which judges tossed out confessions, indictments, and convictions because Saldate lied under oath or violated suspects' rights during interrogations. He was also suspended for "taking liberties" with a female driver he pulled over and lying about it, the court said.
    Much More Here

I've never heard of this one, found her mentioned in some threads but couldn't find one of her own - is there one?

It took them 22 yrs to figure out this cop's record.WOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knitty View Post
    Much More Here

I've never heard of this one, found her mentioned in some threads but couldn't find one of her own - is there one?
    You won't find one....this one happened in the 80's.
    Also notable is that the men who actually killed her son did not testify against her. Very unusual. That alone makes me suspect something....along with the fact of the detective's past misconduct and that somehow this confession-a VERY important thing-didn't bother to get recorded in any way. Supposedly he stated that she waived her Miranda rights and didn't want it tape recorded...but that seems pretty fishy to me. All of that at the very least shows she deserves a new trial. There was none of the evidence like in Darlie Routier's case, or Susan Smith's. Honestly I feel CA's case had harder evidence then this one.

There is a website dedicated to her innocence...which has some interesting information. Of course you have to take it with a grain of salt like anything else out there, but much of the research I found there I have found in other sources that would be considered neutral-ish. It will be interesting to see what happens. If she is guilty then she needs to have a fair trial and be convicted on stronger evidence than a crooked cop's word alone.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

AZ - Woman reviled for son's murder may go free

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...popular_viewed

PHOENIX (AP) — Debra Milke was once one of the most reviled mothers around, convicted of dressing her 4-year-old son in his favorite outfit and sending him off to visit a mall Santa Claus with two men who shot the boy execution-style in the Arizona desert.

Milke said she had nothing to do with Christopher's death, but a detective testified at her 1990 trial that she had confessed to him — and him alone — in a closed interrogation room. Prosecutors said she had her son killed to collect on a $5,000 insurance policy.

Now, Milke could walk free, leaving death row behind after a federal appeals court threw out her conviction Thursday because prosecutors had not turned over evidence of the detective's history of misconduct, including lying under oath in other cases.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel concluded that prosecutors' failure to turn over the evidence deprived Milke's attorneys of the chance to question Phoenix Police Detective Armando Saldate Jr.'s credibility before jurors.

And because it was the only direct evidence tying her to the killing, that fact could have swayed the jury, the panel ruled.........

Much more at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Duh! I finally saw the thread posted in 'Up to the Minute' and have already asked that they be combined...

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

This article has a better grasp of the story.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...on-overturned/
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

An Arizona mother who had spent 22 years on death row after being found guilty of murdering her four-year-old son is set to be released.

Debra Jean Milke's guilty verdict was overturned earlier this year - but now prosecutors have failed to file an expected appeal meaning she will be released in just weeks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2UWYKKIsU

http://startingpoint.blogs.cnn.com/2...inning-appeal/

@adamlongoCBS5: BREAKING: Debra Milke to be retried on charges of murdering her 4 year old son. Papers just filed by Attorney General Tom Horne.

I'm not familiar with this case. Just seen this tweet and come here to read about it.
    Now I'm off to go read about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok just read one of the post, I think I have read some if this story here.

Terrible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always believed she was guilty. Wasn't she the beneficiary of a life insurance policy she took out on her son? It's too bad a crooked cop will probably cost little Christopher the justice he deserves.

Debra Milke to be retried in Peoria killing of 4-year-old son

http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizon...trial-brk.html

Debra Milke case: 2 decades later, retrial set

On Wednesday, Superior Court Judge Rosa Mroz set a new trial date of Sept. 30. According to a federal court order, she has to be tried by Oct. 7 or set free, though neither Mroz nor Kimerer nor prosecutor Vince Imbordino interpreted that order as meaning that the charge would have to be dropped. She simply would have to be let out of jail until the case was resolved one way or another.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizon...-date-brk.html
    "IT TAKES A LOT BIGGER MAN TO STAND UP AND ADMIT HIS MISTAKES THAN TO HIDE BEHIND A LIE"
    WHY WON'T ANYONE STAND UP FOR HALEIGH??!! WHY?? TELL THE TRUTH!!
    HALEIGH DESERVES IT!!

Seriously?

She has already spent 22 years behind bars.
    It isn't like she didn't do any time even if they think she's guilty.

They have no confession (this cop will be ripped to shreds at trial!)
    They have 2 other people in jail for this that won't testify against her!

They have no evidence!
    They have no witnesses!

What are they going to use to convict her?
    We've seen in acquittals in cases with FAR more evidence than this.
    This is a ridiculous waste of taxpayer money.

Don't agree

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    Seriously?

She has already spent 22 years behind bars.
    It isn't like she didn't do any time even if they think she's guilty.

They have no confession (this cop will be ripped to shreds at trial!)
    They have 2 other people in jail for this that won't testify against her!

They have no evidence!
    They have no witnesses!

What are they going to use to convict her?
    We've seen in acquittals in cases with FAR more evidence than this.
    This is a ridiculous waste of taxpayer money.
    No, he won't be ripped to shreds. The decision from the Loony 9th Circuit was that the confession can't be used in a retrial.
    This could actually mean that the case will be stronger against her. We also don't know what her two co conspirators may be feeling right now, watching her walk free while they had their convictions upheld just 2 years ago. Also, some evidence that wasn't allowed in will be decided upon again...specifically Styers letters to Milke.

They didn't testify against her last time.
    That may change.

The assumption seems to be that Saldate's conduct and Milke's confession was never challenged at trial. It was. All the facts of the confession were given to the jury about no tape recording although he was told to tape it. No Miranda waiver, no notes, etc....all brought out at trial and the jury still convicted her. All of that will be gone now, yes. But there's no proof that Saldate was the only reason she was convicted. And, like most appeals lawyers, the role of Saldate's former misconduct has been overhyped as being the reason for the conviction.
    I'm going to take my ball and go home

Quote Originally Posted by 2 percent View Post
    No, he won't be ripped to shreds. The decision from the Loony 9th Circuit was that the confession can't be used in a retrial.
    This could actually mean that the case will be stronger against her. We also don't know what her two co conspirators may be feeling right now, watching her walk free while they had their convictions upheld just 2 years ago. Also, some evidence that wasn't allowed in will be decided upon again...specifically Styers letters to Milke.

They didn't testify against her last time.
    That may change.

The assumption seems to be that Saldate's conduct and Milke's confession was never challenged at trial. It was. All the facts of the confession were given to the jury about no tape recording although he was told to tape it. No Miranda waiver, no notes, etc....all brought out at trial and the jury still convicted her. All of that will be gone now, yes. But there's no proof that Saldate was the only reason she was convicted. And, like most appeals lawyers, the role of Saldate's former misconduct has been overhyped as being the reason for the conviction.
    I believe juries are smarter now - they require evidence beyond a reasonable doubt.

My opinion only

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast