1112 users online (245 members and 867 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,015

    WI - Milwaukee, Fem UP7792, 40-60, 'Emiliano 28-1-1953' on ring, May'74

    This case seems SO very solvable.

    https://identifyus.org/cases/7792

    Unidentified woman, possibly Hispanic, Italian or Native American found floating in Lake Michigan. She was wearing a wedding ring inscribed with 28-1-1953.

    *** Warning, post mortem picture ***
    She's case #1 here:
    http://county.milwaukee.gov/MedicalE...ed-Adults1.htm
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-18-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,015
    A few thoughts:
    Judging by the way the date was inscribed on her ring, I'm inclined to think she was born and at least partially educated in Europe, so I'm leaning toward Spanish or Italian. I also think she was Roman Catholic judging by the religious medal.

    I believe the religious medal is of Aloysius Gonzaga. He was an Italian Jesuit. He is the patron saint of Jesuit students and two towns in Italy. (As well as some other things, see link.)
    http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-aloysius-gonzaga/
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    That's what instantly came to my mind when I saw the date in d-m-yyyy format of the date on the ring. She must be from overseas.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks for the tidy up, Carl.

    I've been poking around the Social Security Death Index for an Emiliano that would be the right age, I did find one that is the right age to be her son who died shortly before she did. If it was suicide, that could be why. (Born 2-10-1954, died January 1974)
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    I assume Emiliano was her husband and the inscribed date was their wedding day.

    my initial impression was that she was Italian, but I went to the SSDI for Emilianos and they almost all had Spanish last names.

    Quote Originally Posted by necco View Post
    Thanks for the tidy up, Carl.

    I've been poking around the Social Security Death Index for an Emiliano that would be the right age, I did find one that is the right age to be her son who died shortly before she did. If it was suicide, that could be why. (Born 2-10-1954, died January 1974)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    I assume Emiliano was her husband and the inscribed date was their wedding day.

    my initial impression was that she was Italian, but I went to the SSDI for Emilianos and they almost all had Spanish last names.
    Yes, but many Catholic ethnic groups (especially back then) tend to name the first born son after the father. So, there's a decent shot if she had a son, his name was also Emiliano. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

    By the way, St Aloysius is not all that common a saint to wear. This could be a huge clue to her life if we can figure out why she wore him.
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,795
    My two cents: There is a detective on The First 48 named Emiliano Tamayo - I believe he is Cuban. But the profile on the UIDs post-mortem photo just screams "Native American' to me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    there was an Emiliano Velez who died in January 1971 in Milwaukee. he was born in Sept 1927, which would have made him 25 y.o. on a January 28, 1953 wedding date. his SS# was issued in Puerto Rico before 1951.

    Velez was the only Emiliano from Wisconsin who died between 1970 and 1974.

    I would venture a small wager that this was the husband who was on the ring.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Phoenix ,AZ
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    there was an Emiliano Velez who died in January 1971 in Milwaukee. he was born in Sept 1927, which would have made him 25 y.o. on a January 28, 1953 wedding date. his SS# was issued in Puerto Rico before 1951.

    Velez was the only Emiliano from Wisconsin who died between 1970 and 1974.

    I would venture a small wager that this was the husband who was on the ring.

    I found an article that mentions Emiliano Velez. It appears he was a rather prominent figure in the Puerto Rican community of Milwaukee. I would assume that if his widow disappeared this case would have been solved a long time ago. He died from Leukemia FWIW.

    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...,885237http://

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    great find Masnitram. unfortunately the article did not identify who was receiving the award in his name.

    can you access other archives from that paper such as his originall obituary? that should list next of kin. I'll see if I can find it.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,098
    Quote Originally Posted by necco View Post
    Yes, but many Catholic ethnic groups (especially back then) tend to name the first born son after the father. So, there's a decent shot if she had a son, his name was also Emiliano. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

    By the way, St Aloysius is not all that common a saint to wear. This could be a huge clue to her life if we can figure out why she wore him.
    He's the patron saint of students and by extension all Christian youth and of plague victims and by modern extension AIDS victims and their caretakers.

    There's a high school in Missisagua ON named for him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Alo...condary_School. Also several in other countries There's a church dedicated to St. Aloysius in New York City, North Carolina, and possibly others.

    I went through pages and pages of medals looking for one like this one, and only found two others where the saint was facing left. In the vast majority, he's facing right.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Phoenix ,AZ
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    great find Masnitram. unfortunately the article did not identify who was receiving the award in his name.

    can you access other archives from that paper such as his originall obituary? that should list next of kin. I'll see if I can find it.
    I'll see what I can find. So far...no luck finding the obituary.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    I tried with no luck. the actual date of death was January 27, 1971. some of the obits were on pages that were microfilmed sideways and hard to find.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    The day/month/year date format is the predominant format throughout Mexico, Central America, and South America, as well as most of Europe, Northern Africa, Southern Asia, and Australia.

    The month/day/year and the day/month/year formats are both used in Canada, depending on the application.

    Date format by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 04-07-2015 at 04:09 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    He's the patron saint of students and by extension all Christian youth and of plague victims and by modern extension AIDS victims and their caretakers.

    There's a high school in Missisagua ON named for him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Alo...condary_School. Also several in other countries There's a church dedicated to St. Aloysius in New York City, North Carolina, and possibly others.

    I went through pages and pages of medals looking for one like this one, and only found two others where the saint was facing left. In the vast majority, he's facing right.


    I saw the AIDS patronage, but I disregarded it due to the date the UID was found. The first recognized AIDS death in the US was in 1980, so I don't think that particular patronage is relevant.

    I wish in these cases that they'd take pictures of the markings on the jewelry. If the religious medal is gold, the markings and the carats could give an idea where it was manufactured.

    Gonzaga University is also named after St. Aloysius. While you are correct that he is the patron saint of teenagers, I'm far more inclined personally to think there is a Jesuit connection as there are several more popular saints that have teens and students as their patronage. I've never know anyone who wore a St. Aloysius medal and I spent more time than I care to acknowledge in Catholic school.

    I agree that her profile screams Native American. The Jesuits were very active (and still are to a great extent) with the indigenous populations of the Americas and had settled in Wisconsin as early as 1667.

    The thing that made me think she wasn't Native was the date on the ring, but doesn't the groom usually purchase the wife's ring? In which case, it could just indicate that her husband was from Europe.
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Found Safe WA - Emiliano Gonzales, 2, Seattle, 13 Oct 2013
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 08:57 PM
  2. Match! Johnson, Ella Age: 45 / DOB: 6/14/1953 |
    By momrids6 in forum Matches & Resolved
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM

Tags for this Thread