New Age Policy For Disney Parks

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Disney bans kids under 14 from entering parks alone

Christina Cocca, AP
15 hours ago

Disney theme parks will soon require anyone under the age of 14 to be accompanied by someone who is older than 14, a Disney spokeswoman said Saturday.

The new policy will take effect March 23 at all U.S. Walt Disney World and Disneyland resorts and parks.

"If a cast member who is working at the front gates sees a guest who appears to be younger than 14 without someone who appears to be older than that, they will engage in a conversation with the guest," Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown told NBC4.

The employee will verbally determine whether the guest is too young to enter on his or her own, since children that age typically do not carry identification with them, she said. The child’s parent or guardian would then be contacted if the visitor is underage, and that adult would need to physically come accompany the child into the park...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130319/Disney.bans.kids.under.fourteen/

who in their right mind would allow young kids to go to someplace like disneyland without an adult? even 14 is a bit iffy to me. i'm sure there was a time when they would have been safe but now a days. oh no, no way!!!

who in their right mind would allow young kids to go to someplace like disneyland without an adult? even 14 is a bit iffy to me. i'm sure there was a time when they would have been safe but now a days. oh no, no way!!!

The same kind of people who need a warning on their McDonald's coffee that it's hot.

It's a sad day when Disney has to worry about parents using their parks as baby sitters. I agree under 14 is too young to enter the park without an adult.

When DH and I used to take DD to Disney World every other year in the late '70s/early '80s, we noticed groups of middle-school age kids with no adult supervision. Evidently, folks who live near WDW and have annual passes, drop their children off at one of the parks and they spend the day there while parents are at work or doing whatever. We see the same thing on cruise ships: Groups of pre-teens, teens hanging out without parental supervision. Sadly, these unchaperoned youngsters are perfect targets for predators.

When DH and I used to take DD to Disney World every other year in the late '70s/early '80s, we noticed groups of middle-school age kids with no adult supervision. Evidently, folks who live near WDW and have annual passes, drop their children off at one of the parks and they spend the day there while parents are at work or doing whatever. We see the same thing on cruise ships: Groups of pre-teens, teens hanging out without parental supervision. Sadly, these unchaperoned youngsters are perfect targets for predators.

Thats it. People thought nothing of it back in the day when I lived near and worked at WDW. In fact they had certain events several times a year where the main park would be closed to everyone except ticket holders to the event.(For an evening) They would feature top 40 bands and were for teens. And it was fun! I have some good memories of those events and the bands I saw. :)

I think 14 year old are right around the age were it would be okay, but anything younger, no. I would be dropped off at the local Six Flags- but we were pretty mature and there were only 3 of us so not causing a wild ruckus.

The Los Angeles library system began having problems about 10 years ago. Parents would tell their kids to walk to the library and wait there until they were able to pick them up after work. Sometimes kids as young as 8 or 9 would be at the library from 3 to 6, by themselves unsupervised. I witnesses about two dozen kids between 8-14 running around and shouting in the library, pushing each other, etc. The librarian told me they feel as if their hands are tied because they don't want to kick the kids out on the street, but their behavior was unacceptable. They tell the parents (when they show up) that they aren't babysitters- but since there is no official rule against it the parents keep doing it.

I wonder if they allow kids 14 and under to go separate ways from adults once inside the park. That would still sort of be the same thing since it could take hours before meeting up.

I wonder if they allow kids 14 and under to go separate ways from adults once inside the park. That would still sort of be the same thing since it could take hours before meeting up.

When I worked at WDW, I would see kids all the time with no parents.

Bothered me to no end.

Hearing that DISNEY IS THE PEDOPHILE Mecca of the US, I can't believe there wasn't an age policy before.

I haven't heard that...but I shouldn't be surprised.

The saving grace is that there are cameras EVERYWHERE. A few people I know got busted a few different times from goofing around. All of a sudden, a crew member would show up and shoo them along. So they do watch out for people misbehaving. Some family members I know got banned from a few lands for throwing popcorn on a ride to each other.

Yes. The recommended minimum age to be able to walk around without an adult was 9. I kid you not. Never in a million years would I ever let a 9 y/o walk loose in an amusement park - not even Disney.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back