1035 users online (237 members and 798 guests)  

Websleuths News

Picked up for 3 bucks, Chinese bowl goes for $2.2 million at auction

A Chinese bowl that a New York family picked up for $3 at a garage sale turned out to be a 1,000-year-old treasure and has sold at auction for $2.2 million.

The bowl — ceramic, 5 inches in diameter and with a saw-tooth pattern etched around the outside — went to a London dealer, Giuseppe Eskenazi, at Sotheby’s auction house in New York on Tuesday.

Sotheby’s said the bowl was from the Northern Song Dynasty, which ruled China from 960 to 1127 and is known for its cultural and artistic advances.......more with video....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Never happens to me. When I go to garage sales, all I see are 15 year old molded glass candy dishes and cheap bookcases.

I wold never guess that thing is worth millions of $.
    Just my opinion

Upstate NY
    If I saw that in a thrift shop I would buy it as I like its looks - but then wind up keeping, like, loose change in it and never finding out its value, lol.

How did it end up at a garage sale? Didn't anyone keep track of a 1000 yr old antique bowl?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

It's so ordinary looking!