1091 users online (232 members and 859 guests)  

Websleuths News

Parent alert: How kids get into meds that poison them

Small children who land in the hospital emergency room after swallowing the wrong medication rarely get the stuff from a medicine cabinet or drawer, a new report suggests.

Instead, children take pills or bottles off the floor, out of sofa cushions or from purses, countertops and other easy-to-see spots, says the report, released Wednesday by the non-profit group Safe Kids Worldwide, based in Washington, D.C. ...........

Kids "are getting medications from Mom's purse and Grandma's pillbox," says Rennie Ferguson, a researcher for Safe Kids. She looked at 2,315 emergency department records on children up to age 4, compiled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2011.

A total of 67,000 young children visited emergency rooms that year after accidental exposures to medication.

More at link....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I saw this on the Today Show. My kids were watching it with me (ages 5 and 7), so I got down the Advil, Vitamins and cold medicine, and asked them if they could open them. They got the vitamins and cold medicine open, but couldn't open the Advil.

Of course, I explained to them that this was an experiment we were doing, and they were never to open these (or any) pills up and take them, unless I gave them to them.

Just the other day I had given my 2 1/2 year old DGS his antibiotic (liquid) and hadn't put the bottle away yet. It had a child proof cap so I wasn't alarmed when he picked it up (but I did keep an eye on him.) He opened it quicker than I do. Scary
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight