Parent alert: How kids get into meds that poison them

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/20/children-medication-poisoning/1998237/

Small children who land in the hospital emergency room after swallowing the wrong medication rarely get the stuff from a medicine cabinet or drawer, a new report suggests.

Instead, children take pills or bottles off the floor, out of sofa cushions or from purses, countertops and other easy-to-see spots, says the report, released Wednesday by the non-profit group Safe Kids Worldwide, based in Washington, D.C. ...........

Kids "are getting medications from Mom's purse and Grandma's pillbox," says Rennie Ferguson, a researcher for Safe Kids. She looked at 2,315 emergency department records on children up to age 4, compiled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2011.

A total of 67,000 young children visited emergency rooms that year after accidental exposures to medication.

More at link....

I saw this on the Today Show. My kids were watching it with me (ages 5 and 7), so I got down the Advil, Vitamins and cold medicine, and asked them if they could open them. They got the vitamins and cold medicine open, but couldn't open the Advil.

Of course, I explained to them that this was an experiment we were doing, and they were never to open these (or any) pills up and take them, unless I gave them to them.

Just the other day I had given my 2 1/2 year old DGS his antibiotic (liquid) and hadn't put the bottle away yet. It had a child proof cap so I wasn't alarmed when he picked it up (but I did keep an eye on him.) He opened it quicker than I do. Scary

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back