796 users online (106 members and 690 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US still making payments to relatives of Civil War veterans, analysis finds

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/20...ntcmp=trending

If history is any judge, the U.S. government will be paying for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars for the next century as service members and their families grapple with the sacrifices of combat.

An Associated Press analysis of federal payment records found that the government is still making monthly payments to relatives of Civil War veterans — 148 years after the conflict ended.

At the 10 year anniversary of the start of the Iraq war, more than $40 billion a year are going to compensate veterans and survivors from the Spanish-American War from 1898, World War I and II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the two Iraq campaigns and the Afghanistan conflict. And those costs are rising rapidly..........

So far, the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and the first Persian Gulf conflict in the early 1990s are costing about $12 billion a year to compensate those who have left military service or family members of those who have died.

Those post-service compensation costs have totaled more than $50 billion since 2003, not including expenses of medical care and other benefits provided to veterans, and are poised to grow for many years to come.............

There are 10 living recipients of benefits tied to the 1898 Spanish-American War at a total cost of about $50,000 per year. The Civil War payments are going to two children of veterans — one in North Carolina and one in Tennessee— each for $876 per year............

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/20...#ixzz2O8T7hXgl

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Just was reading this in Daily Mail before I clicked back here! Article there reminded me that there were still a handful of Civil War veterans alive after I was born. Made me feel rather old, lol.

US making payments to Civil War Veteran's families... is the Veteran's Department that backed up in processing claims?
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Show Me View Post
    US making payments to Civil War Veteran's families... is the Veteran's Department that backed up in processing claims?
    It's for the children of veterans - only two women left, I believe.
    “Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

In no way should any of my statements be construed as legal opinion or advice. While I am a lawyer, I am not a verified poster here at WS. The above statement(s) are an expression of my personal opinion, for entertainment purposes only, and copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by AnaTeresa View Post
    It's for the children of veterans - only two women left, I believe.
    I said that tongue in cheek AnaTeresa. Sorry I think I should have added a lol at the end for clarity.

Two female children left. It's amazing a war so long ago still has survivors!
    -

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

So, if the widow of the soldier received the pension after the soldier died, does the pension pass on to a child of the soldier after the widow dies? And, if there is more than one child, is the pension split among the children?

Quote Originally Posted by Show Me View Post
    I said that tongue in cheek AnaTeresa. Sorry I think I should have added a lol at the end for clarity.

Two female children left. It's amazing a war so long ago still has survivors!
    You never can tell with the internet, ha.
    “Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

In no way should any of my statements be construed as legal opinion or advice. While I am a lawyer, I am not a verified poster here at WS. The above statement(s) are an expression of my personal opinion, for entertainment purposes only, and copyright.

I thought the payments ended when the children turned 18?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    So did I, maybe they continue if child is disabled?
    -

There are 10 living recipients of benefits tied to the 1898 Spanish-American War at a total cost of about $50,000 per year. The Civil War payments are going to two children of veterans — one in North Carolina and one in Tennessee— each for $876 per year............

That can't be right...?
    The Civil War ended 1865 so if someone who died in that one had a child the child would be at least 148 years old now. Or do they also include war veterans who died years after the war ended from complications of their wounds and might have got children years after the war?

oh, never mind, I see it includes "to compensate those who have left military service"
    I suppose they might have had children several decades afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post

That can't be right...?
    The Civil War ended 1865 so if someone who died in that one had a child the child would be at least 148 years old now. Or do they also include war veterans who died years after the war ended from complications of their wounds and might have got children years after the war?
    Maybe he enlisted very young say 18 and married and had a child when he was in his 70's?
    -

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    The article said that children of veterans receive benefits after 18 if they are disabled. I doubt that $876 a year makes much difference to a 93 or 83-year-old disabled person - probably just goes into the nursing home's pocket.

Edit-One report says that the individual born in 1920 died last summer so there may be just one left.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Just was reading this in Daily Mail before I clicked back here! Article there reminded me that there were still a handful of Civil War veterans alive after I was born. Made me feel rather old, lol.
    I think it was 1955 when I saw a TV program about the last surviving Civil War veterans. It was on a show called You Asked For It. There were 4 left and they were all pretty frail, although, a couple of them were interviewed. The last died in 1959. Regarding You Asked For It, the show encouraged viewers to write in and request subjects that they would cover in a segment. The only two I remember are this one and the one about flying saucers.

Three of the four were later debunked as per reports. The last verified veteran from either side was Albert Woolson, a union soldier, who died in 1956 at the age of 109.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 03-21-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Another woman who does not receive benefits explains how she had a father who was a veteran of the Civil War:

Surviving spouses can qualify for lifetime benefits when troops from current wars have a service-linked death. Children under the age of 18 can also qualify, and those benefits are extended for a lifetime if the person is permanently incapable of self-support due to a disability before the age of 18.

Citing privacy, officials did not disclose the names of the two children getting the Civil War benefits.

Their ages suggest the one in Tennessee was born around 1920 and the North Carolina survivor was born around 1930. A veteran who was young during the Civil War would likely have been roughly 70 or 80 years old when the two people were born.

That's not unheard of. At age 86, Juanita Tudor Lowrey is the daughter of a Civil War veteran. Her father, Hugh Tudor, fought in the Union army. After his first wife died, Tudor was 73 when he remarried her 33-year-old mother in 1920. Lowrey was born in 1926.

Lowrey, who lives in Kearney, Mo., suspects the marriage might have been one of convenience, with her father looking for a housekeeper and her mother looking for some security. He died a couple years after she was born, and Lowrey received pension benefits until she was 18.

Now, Lowrey said, she usually gets skepticism from people after she tells them she's a daughter of a Civil War veteran.

"We're few and far between," Lowrey said.
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/20...#ixzz2ODznj3dQ

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    If the child became permanently disabled before turning 18, the payments continue for life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast