818 users online (139 members and 679 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OK - Dillon King, 18, & Kenneth Chaffin, 17, Pottawatomie County, 18 March 2013

Names of the deceased not yet released but may include that of the Oklahoma teen who stole the truck, weapons, and drugs. [They've now been released; see below.]

Truck stolen by teen found at deadly robbery scene (AP)
    DALLAS (AP) — A pickup truck that Kenneth Chaffin, a 17-year-old Oklahoma boy, stole from his parents' home along with guns and ammunition was found Wednesday at a deadly robbery scene in Texas, authorities said.

Two male suspects are dead after the failed home robbery, according to a statement from the Ellis County Sheriff's Office in North Texas.
    ---
    The incident happened around noon Wednesday at a rural home near the town of Maypearl, 35 miles southwest of Dallas. A woman was alone at the house when she heard someone trying to turn the back doorknob.
    ---
    The suspects darted from behind the house and toward a field, firing at the home as they ran. The woman's husband, whom she had summoned home after hearing the attempted break-in, shot back and is believed to have hit one of the suspects, the sheriff's office said.
    ---
    Deputies found one of the suspects dead in the nearby field. He had been shot several times, but is believed to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The other suspect was inside the stolen pickup truck, also dead from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
    ---
    Chaffin also is believed to have taken 17 guns, up to 2,000 rounds of ammunition and prescription drugs from the parents' home. Nine handguns were taken along with six rifles and two shotguns, Palmer said.
    ---
    the rest at the link above
    Last edited by wfgodot; 03-21-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Daily Mail reports Kenneth Chaffin ID'd as one of the dead, along with 18-year-old Dillian King.

Mystery of 17-year-old boy who 'stole his parents’ truck, fled and shot himself dead in botched attempt to rob Texas home'
    ---
    Chaffin's parents they don't know what would have led their son to Maypearl, Texas.

'Why he left, we don't have a clue right now,' Kenneth's father, Roland Chaffin, told Oklahoma's News9.com. 'We'll probably never know, other than you know Kenneth has always bucked my rules. I'm a hard-nosed parent. I believe in rules, and all my kids know it.'
    more, with several pictures, at the link above

I find the number of guns and the amount of ammo taken alarming. I have a feeling these boys were planning on robbing more than once. IMO

Odd that if his parents were having trouble with him they'd not take better care to lock up 19 weapons and 2000 rounds of ammunition, which he was able to access and steal. Good that the Maypearl man had a weapon to protect his wife and home. Evidently it only took him one to do so.

Something about this seems so odd. Was there a particular reason they went to Maypearl or was it totally random that they picked this house? Why so much ammo? (I think you're right, CHERIE.T, they must have planned to do this more than once.)

I also wonder the nature of the boys' relationship. Were they in school together? Only one of them was listed as missing, but that may be because the other was 18. Comments I have seen online from family members and people that knew one or both of the boys seem to indicate that one was more "trouble" than the other. Of course, those are just the opinions of people who claim to have known them.

I've got a lot of questions running through my head about this.
    Last edited by BlithePlum; 03-21-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo
    All posts are my opinion and nothing more.

“...and that visibility which makes us most vulnerable is that which also is the source of our greatest strength.”
    ― Audre Lorde

Of all the places the two of them could have gone to, they came to TX?
    Just my opinion

Here's the Daily Oklahoman version. Doesn't tell us too much we don't know. Does correct spelling of 18-year-old's given name: Dillon King.

Texas authorities identify missing Oklahoma teen killed in attempted robbery
    ---
    Roland Chaffin said that his son — who finished homeschooling in the past few months and worked at two Tecumseh restaurants — had never had any previous run-ins with the law and was not fighting with his family before his disappearance.

“Kenneth was a follower, not a leader. That's what we figure. He followed someone and got in over his head,” he said.
    ---
    more at the link

Were there reports of any other robberies between the home in OK and the house in TX?

Quote Originally Posted by FragileSugar View Post
    Were there reports of any other robberies between the home in OK and the house in TX?
    Good question. Haven't seen anything that's suggested there were, at least that could be linked to this duo. It's about four hours - 240 miles - from Bethel Acres OK to Maypearl TX, all on Interstate 35. Haven't seen anything on Dillon King yet, either.

Kenneth Chaffin, Dillon King Dead Of Apparent Self-Inflicted Gunshots In Maypearl, Texas, Home Invasion

Sharing the link mainly for the video. It's a very large house and it looks pretty isolated. Maybe a ranch? Thankfully the husband was able to get to the house quickly.

Unhappy

Runaway Teen’s Mother Speaks Out After Son Found Shot to Death

This mother has been very vocal on social media.
    All posts are my opinion and nothing more.

“...and that visibility which makes us most vulnerable is that which also is the source of our greatest strength.”
    ― Audre Lorde

Quote Originally Posted by CHERIE.T View Post
    I find the number of guns and the amount of ammo taken alarming. I have a feeling these boys were planning on robbing more than once. IMO
    Odd that the parents had that many arms and ammo in their home.

This story just doesn't sound right. The victim says he shot at the kids as they were running away and thought he hit one of them. But both bodies were found in separate locations with multiple gunshot wounds.

I hope the ME conduct autopsies on those kids and hope LE does a thorough investigation.

I wonder what was going on in their minds. Dillian King had a Facebook page and I see that on Feb 27 he posted, "just cuz I have a heart murmur I can't join the military". Not much else on there - photo of a dog and his nieces.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Odd that if his parents were having trouble with him they'd not take better care to lock up 19 weapons and 2000 rounds of ammunition, which he was able to access and steal. Good that the Maypearl man had a weapon to protect his wife and home. Evidently it only took him one to do so.
    It also seems suspect their son ran away from home so many times. In the Daily Mail article, the father made some remarks about disciplining his son that raised a red flag. Perhaps this kid didn't grow up in the best environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty P View Post
    Odd that the parents had that many arms and ammo in their home.

This story just doesn't sound right. The victim says he shot at the kids as they were running away and thought he hit one of them. But both bodies were found in separate locations with multiple gunshot wounds.

I hope the ME conduct autopsies on those kids and hope LE does a thorough investigation.
    Did both bodies have multiple gunshot wounds? I thought I read that the one found in the field did but not the one in the truck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast