CONVICTION OVERTURNED KY - Five Sturgill family members murdered, Leslie County, 6 Feb 2004

bflocket

Reaction score
This case was in the Ky news recently. I couldn't find anything when searching around here, so I started this thread.

Clayton Jackson was convicted of 3-counts First Degree Murder and one Arson in 2011 for murdering the Sturgill family (parents, 3 small kids) in February 2004. It was a pretty gruesome event. The parents (Chris Sturgill, 25 and Amanda Sturgill, 21) were killed by being shot with arrows. Their house was set on fire and their three small kids were killed by carbon monoxide.

His convictions have now been overturned by a judge due to an issue with the jury. One juror stated that he had a reason to not be on the jury, but was made to sit on it anyway. He was a friend of Mr Sturgill's brother. That could have definitely sway his opinion. Mr Sturgill would have to be on at least an "acquaintance" level with the juror, as the juror knew that the victim was his friend's brother.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/03/21/2567396/ky-court-overturns-conviction.html

Had a bunch of links describing the murders/trial and thought I bookmarked them, but I guess it didn't work! I will try to find them again and post them when I can.

One of the things that struck me as "wrong" about the conviction was that there wasn't any actual physical evidence tying Jackson to the case. He was sought as a result of "jailhouse snitches" that wanted their sentences reduced.

Here is a link to the "Find a Grave" memorial to the family. It actually doesn't have much biographical info for the victims. The children's ages are listed, but not the adults. One of my missing links is where I found the parents' ages.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=68069521

***Tried to add this to the beginning post, but too late to edit***
Jackson was convicted only for arson and the murders of the children (who died of CO-poisoning from the fire)
If there wasn't enough evidence to say that he participated in the parents' murders before the fire, why would he set the scene ablaze? Especially knowing there were 3 kids there.

An unusual verdict first time round, the jury did not convict him of killing the parents only the children,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T-Dog
Back