Only in Arkansas ...

golfmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=817&e=6&u=/ap/subpoenaed_pooch

BENTONVILLE, Ark. - Prosecutors hoping for a witness in a murder case to roll over were barking up the wrong tree.

They sent out a batch of subpoenas for anyone who had contact with Albert K. Smith while he was jailed awaiting his murder trial. One of those subpoenas went out to 5-year-old Murphy Smith — Smith's dog, it turned out.

The defendant had written his dog a letter from his cell, and that is how the shih tzu's name got on the witness list.

Prosecutors realized the mistake on Tuesday after the defendant's brother brought in Murphy to answer the subpoena and a deputy would not let them into the courthouse because no dogs were allowed.

Prosecutor Robin Green said she apologized to the brother for any inconvenience, and added: "The dog was friendly enough and probably would have been a very cooperative witness."

Albert Smith is accused of shooting to death his ex-wife's boyfriend.

I love stories like these. I saw a deposition transcript once where an attorney was questioning forensic pathologist. An actual question:

"Doctor, can you tell me with any degree of specificity whether the victim was dead during the time you performed the autopsy on him." :doh:

Jeana (DP) said:
"Doctor, can you tell me with any degree of specificity whether the victim was dead during the time you performed the autopsy on him." :doh:

Perhaps he should have answered with a question: Define life. :waitasec:

I love this, :clap:

My mothers dog used to get entries to the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes.
I still have a few of them... "Spooky~ you may already be a millionaire!":laugh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back