I got my hair cut for Locks of Love today - Can you too?

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Many of you know I have non-Hodgkins Lymphoma that's been in remission for about 9 years now. What you may not know is that for the last couple of years I've been letting my hair grow. Since I'm on SSDI now there's no reason to keep it job friendly.

Today I finally had the requisite ten inches (that's hair ladies keep your dirty minds clean.) to send to; http://www.locksoflove.org/

If you have long hair and don't mind getting it cut short then you can help a lot of kids;

WHAT IS LOCKS OF LOVE?

Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers....

From what I've been told by the hair stylists the charity is really hurting for donations of hair. Read the rules for what they need. I have brunette and gray hair, they'll take out the gray hairs and sell them elsewhere. That helps to defray the costs.

So my hair is now in the mail headed to the Locks of Love headquarters and will be on some kid's head in the future and that makes me feel pretty cool. (patting myself on my back).

It really will make you feel good. The tips I was given is to keep it conditioned and clean. For chicks, don't color your hair or bleach it for the best quality. (They will take colored hair though) So if you have short hair let it grow. If you have long hair get it cut and send it in. Just think of the smiling child you'll be responsible for. :great:

Fantastic! What a great thing to do, SD. It does indeed bring a smile to the face to think of someone walking around in Steely hair! You're a good egg.

I would donate if I could, but my hair is maybe 1" all around. :)

(SO happy you're in remission!)

((HUG))

Many of you know I have non-Hodgkins Lymphoma that's been in remission for about 9 years now. What you may not know is that for the last couple of years I've been letting my hair grow. Since I'm on SSDI now there's no reason to keep it job friendly.

Today I finally had the requisite ten inches (that's hair ladies keep your dirty minds clean.) to send to; http://www.locksoflove.org/

If you have long hair and don't mind getting it cut short then you can help a lot of kids;

WHAT IS LOCKS OF LOVE?

Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers....

From what I've been told by the hair stylists the charity is really hurting for donations of hair. Read the rules for what they need. I have brunette and gray hair, they'll take out the gray hairs and sell them elsewhere. That helps to defray the costs.

So my hair is now in the mail headed to the Locks of Love headquarters and will be on some kid's head in the future and that makes me feel pretty cool. (patting myself on my back).

It really will make you feel good. The tips I was given is to keep it conditioned and clean. For chicks, don't color your hair or bleach it for the best quality. So if you have short hair let it grow. If you have long hair get it cut and send it in. Just think of the smiling child you'll be responsible for. :great:

what a great idea. I have 16" and certainly don't need it. I'm looking at the site, where participating locations are. (not colored) I think my brother in law has now been in remission from "N-HL" for a bit over 15 yrs.. so congratulations to you, may you have many more anniversaries!

Thank you, SD! I'm so glad you are in remission--wow. God bless!

Nice, Steely!!!

I have long hair--that has been colored for about oh, 20 years or so --I got gray really really early. It's too bad they won't take color processed hair, that would really increase their intake I bet.

Nice, Steely!!!

I have long hair--that has been colored for about oh, 20 years or so --I got gray really really early. It's too bad they won't take color processed hair, that would really increase their intake I bet.

they do! Just not bleached!

I didn't know emu's could grow their hair that long! You have such a good soul, SD. Thanks for the smile. :)

Fantastic! What a great thing to do, SD. It does indeed bring a smile to the face to think of someone walking around in Steely hair! You're a good egg.

I would donate if I could, but my hair is maybe 1" all around. :)

(SO happy you're in remission!)

((HUG))

Thanks. :thumb:

what a great idea. I have 16" and certainly don't need it. I'm looking at the site, where participating locations are. (not colored) I think my brother in law has now been in remission from "N-HL" for a bit over 15 yrs.. so congratulations to you, may you have many more anniversaries!

I went to SuperCuts and they put the hair in a ponytail and cut it off. Ask them to put it in a bag for you. Then get a bubble wrap mailing envelop and send it to them. It cost me $2.40 to send it with delivery confirmation. Not including the cost of the envelop and haircut. If you have 16 inches at most you have to give ten. They're happy to take more, but if you want a certain shorter style and only want to donate 10" then that's cool too. If you have short hair let it grow, let it grow, let it grow.

Hi Steely! This is a great cause and you rock for donating your locks. I've done this two times in the past, the last time my two nieces did it too! It does make you feel great to know that you're helping a child feel better about themselves. It's also so easy and all it costs you is postage! I've worn a style too short for the past couple of years, but it's growing out now and while that is annoying, I've been holding out on getting it cut so I can do this again. So for now it's hair pins and top knots, but once it's long enough, I'll be sending off another ponytail!

You rock Steely and thanks for posting this for everyone to read about!

How very cool of you!!

My hair is really long - right above my bottom but it's bleached and pink... so I couldn't do this...:(

Nice, Steely!!!

They'll take colored hair.

:great:Love to you SD you:rocker:Rock. My DD has contributed to this cause for years. She has beautiful natural blonde hair. I will ck into it myself although my hair has greyed ALOT in the last few weeks.:seeya:

How very cool of you!!

My hair is really long - right above my bottom but it's bleached and pink... so I couldn't do this...:(

Ask your stylist or email Locks of Love and tell them what you've done with your hair and if it would be donateable. From what I understand they are so desperate they're relaxing the standards. :hug:

:great:Love to you SD you:rocker:Rock. My DD has contributed to this cause for years. She has beautiful natural blonde hair. I will ck into it myself although my hair has greyed ALOT in the last few weeks.:seeya:

They sell the gray hair to help defray the costs. Mine is salt and pepper so they'll have to separate out the gray hairs.

YAY

Ok calmer now. I have actually done this several times and gotten my girls to do it.

My oldest child is named after my maternal grandmother that I only met when I was 6 weeks old. When my mother was in the process of graduating from college and planning a wedding my other grandmother noticed a funky looking mole on granny's back. ( yes my maternal/paternal grandmother's were close) Granny did not want to bother with it until after all the to dos. By then it had spread to her breasts,lungs,stomach - so I am told. She died right after our first meeting. My dad has always called me Kitty Kat because I remind them so much of her.

My mother had a bout 2 years ago with uterine cancer. I myself have had some scares.

I also do it because I am blessed with thick curly red hair that grows really fast. Although there is some gray I still give! I am currently on a growing phase so hopefully this fall/winter I can do it again!

Again...YAY!

YAY

Ok calmer now. I have actually done this several times and gotten my girls to do it.

My oldest child is named after my maternal grandmother that I only met when I was 6 weeks old. When my mother was in the process of graduating from college and planning a wedding my other grandmother noticed a funky looking mole on granny's back. ( yes my maternal/paternal grandmother's were close) Granny did not want to bother with it until after all the to dos. By then it had spread to her breasts,lungs,stomach - so I am told. She died right after our first meeting. My dad has always called me Kitty Kat because I remind them so much of her.

My mother had a bout 2 years ago with uterine cancer. I myself have had some scares.

I also do it because I am blessed with thick curly red hair that grows really fast. Although there is some gray I still give! I am currently on a growing phase so hopefully this fall/winter I can do it again!

Again...YAY!

:woohoo:

Congratulations Steely, that is FANTASTIC!

It's CRAZY that this thread was started today...my youngest daughter and I both have appointments to get our hair cut Friday to donate!!! It will be my daughters first hair cut ever, she's 6 years old. It will be the second time donating for me - I cut 13" off almost 3 years ago and have been growing it back out ever since until it was donation-worthy! My daughter is in Girl Scouts and will get a badge for donating as well!

Congratulations Steely, that is FANTASTIC!

It's CRAZY that this thread was started today...my youngest daughter and I both have appointments to get our hair cut Friday to donate!!! It will be my daughters first hair cut ever, she's 6 years old. It will be the second time donating for me - I cut 13" off almost 3 years ago and have been growing it back out ever since until it was donation-worthy! My daughter is in Girl Scouts and will get a badge for donating as well!

You :rocker:

And you're teaching your daughter an important lesson too! :hug:

Thats awesome!! I've taken my daughter a few times for this, it's a great cause!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back