1307 users online (279 members and 1028 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HIV test urged for 7,000 Oklahoma dental patients

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...KNWU00L4_UNEWS

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Health officials on Thursday urged an Oklahoma oral surgeon's patients to undergo hepatitis and HIV testing, saying filthy conditions behind his office's spiffy facade posed a threat to his 7,000 clients and made him a "menace to the public health."

State and county health inspectors went to Dr. W. Scott Harrington's practice after a patient with no known risk factors tested positive for both hepatitis C and the virus that causes AIDS. They found employees using dirty equipment, reusing needles and administering drugs without a license.

Harrington voluntarily gave up his license and closed his offices in Tulsa and suburban Owasso and is cooperating with investigators, said Kaitlin Snider, a spokeswoman for the Tulsa Health Department. He faces a hearing April 19 where his license could be permanently revoked.............

Officials are sending letters to 7,000 people who are known to have been patients of Harrington, but they noted that they do not have information for patients before 2007. The letters urge the patients to be tested for hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV. — viruses typically spread through intravenous drug use or unprotected sexual contact, not occupational settings.

"It's uncertain how long those practices have been in place," Snider said. "He's been practicing for 36 years."

More at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

OMG!

OH my heart goes out to those 7000 people who get this letter. Can you imagine the fear? And I don't understand how health inspectors can say they don't know how long these conditions have existed. Aren't medical, dental and healthcare facilities heavily regulated as far as that sort of thing is concerned???

How does this escape attention for that long?

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

So, no charges against him of any kind? I hope no kids were sent to him by Medicaid for wisdom teeth removal. There seems to be a trend of removing them much earlier if they look crooked on xrays.

Shouldn't there be criminal charges? Infecting someone with HIV and hepatitis C is at the very least negligent.
    Just my opinion

Just read the article over again and nothing is mentioned about criminal charges....yet...I suppose those that find out they got sick from his office can sue him.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    OMG!

OH my heart goes out to those 7000 people who get this letter. Can you imagine the fear? And I don't understand how health inspectors can say they don't know how long these conditions have existed. Aren't medical, dental and healthcare facilities heavily regulated as far as that sort of thing is concerned???

I guess dental facilities are not expected unless someone complains, considering he has been in practice for 36 years and sounds like he only got inspected after a patient tested positive for HIV and hepatitis C.
    Just my opinion

Alarming

Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    OMG!

ITA tl - but here's my question.

7000 - Seven thousand - THOUSAND! How does ONE dentist see THAT many patients?
    That's a whole lotta novacane. Even if he worked 7 days a week - 7000? Really?

Was he THAT popular a dentist?

IDK - just seems like a whole lot of patients - 7000!!!

Hope they are all ok. I can't imagine getting a letter like that in the mail. Scary......

JMHO

I am pretty sure this dentist extracted nearly all my teeth in 2001. If he is the dentist I used, he was at a different address than he is now. I am trying to find any old addresses he may have but so far have had no luck. They tell patients before 2005 to contact the health department. I suppose I should. HIV can lay dormant for a long time. To answer questions about the large number of patients he had. He is one of the only oral surgeons in town that accepts all insurance for people going through the process of getting false teeth. Seven thousand still seems like a lot of people.

I wonder if he was doing other dentistry ( like root canals and implants) or just removals and gum disease surgery. People who worked for him and knew should have been reporting him.

OMG. So frightening.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-30-11-49-17

About 150 to 200 patients of a Tulsa oral surgeon who's accused of unsanitary practices are lined up outside a health clinic to be screened for hepatitis and the virus that causes AIDS.
    Just know one thing, I am the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I wonder if he was doing other dentistry ( like root canals and implants) or just removals and gum disease surgery. People who worked for him and knew should have been reporting him.
    I'm pretty sure he was only doing extractions.

I am blown away this could happen in this day and age. I'm amazed not one employee reported the dangerous condition. How does one find employees who are all willing to look the other way?

I hope the dentist and all of his employee's current and former all do time and a LOT of time!

Prayers for all whose lives were endangered because of this dentists choices.

I'm awaiting news on criminal charges.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Other dentists may also have known this guy had problems from word of mouth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast