HIV test urged for 7,000 Oklahoma dental patients

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=4&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L4_UNEWS

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Health officials on Thursday urged an Oklahoma oral surgeon's patients to undergo hepatitis and HIV testing, saying filthy conditions behind his office's spiffy facade posed a threat to his 7,000 clients and made him a "menace to the public health."

State and county health inspectors went to Dr. W. Scott Harrington's practice after a patient with no known risk factors tested positive for both hepatitis C and the virus that causes AIDS. They found employees using dirty equipment, reusing needles and administering drugs without a license.

Harrington voluntarily gave up his license and closed his offices in Tulsa and suburban Owasso and is cooperating with investigators, said Kaitlin Snider, a spokeswoman for the Tulsa Health Department. He faces a hearing April 19 where his license could be permanently revoked.............

Officials are sending letters to 7,000 people who are known to have been patients of Harrington, but they noted that they do not have information for patients before 2007. The letters urge the patients to be tested for hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV. — viruses typically spread through intravenous drug use or unprotected sexual contact, not occupational settings.

"It's uncertain how long those practices have been in place," Snider said. "He's been practicing for 36 years."

More at link.....

OMG!

OH my heart goes out to those 7000 people who get this letter. Can you imagine the fear? And I don't understand how health inspectors can say they don't know how long these conditions have existed. Aren't medical, dental and healthcare facilities heavily regulated as far as that sort of thing is concerned???

How does this escape attention for that long?

So, no charges against him of any kind? I hope no kids were sent to him by Medicaid for wisdom teeth removal. There seems to be a trend of removing them much earlier if they look crooked on xrays.

Shouldn't there be criminal charges? Infecting someone with HIV and hepatitis C is at the very least negligent.

Just read the article over again and nothing is mentioned about criminal charges....yet...I suppose those that find out they got sick from his office can sue him.

OMG!

OH my heart goes out to those 7000 people who get this letter. Can you imagine the fear? And I don't understand how health inspectors can say they don't know how long these conditions have existed. Aren't medical, dental and healthcare facilities heavily regulated as far as that sort of thing is concerned???

I guess dental facilities are not expected unless someone complains, considering he has been in practice for 36 years and sounds like he only got inspected after a patient tested positive for HIV and hepatitis C.

OMG!

ITA tl - but here's my question.

7000 - Seven thousand - THOUSAND! How does ONE dentist see THAT many patients?
That's a whole lotta novacane. Even if he worked 7 days a week - 7000? Really?

Was he THAT popular a dentist?

IDK - just seems like a whole lot of patients - 7000!!!

Hope they are all ok. I can't imagine getting a letter like that in the mail. Scary......

JMHO

I am pretty sure this dentist extracted nearly all my teeth in 2001. If he is the dentist I used, he was at a different address than he is now. I am trying to find any old addresses he may have but so far have had no luck. They tell patients before 2005 to contact the health department. I suppose I should. HIV can lay dormant for a long time. To answer questions about the large number of patients he had. He is one of the only oral surgeons in town that accepts all insurance for people going through the process of getting false teeth. Seven thousand still seems like a lot of people.

I wonder if he was doing other dentistry ( like root canals and implants) or just removals and gum disease surgery. People who worked for him and knew should have been reporting him.

I wonder if he was doing other dentistry ( like root canals and implants) or just removals and gum disease surgery. People who worked for him and knew should have been reporting him.

I'm pretty sure he was only doing extractions.

I am blown away this could happen in this day and age. I'm amazed not one employee reported the dangerous condition. How does one find employees who are all willing to look the other way?

I hope the dentist and all of his employee's current and former all do time and a LOT of time!

Prayers for all whose lives were endangered because of this dentists choices. :furious:

I'm awaiting news on criminal charges.

Okla. board pushes for charges against dentist

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=19411643&ps=1011&cat=&cps=0&lang=en

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Citing the scope of a public health scare involving thousands of patients of an Oklahoma oral surgeon, the head of the state's dentistry board said Monday she wants prosecutors to consider pursuing criminal charges.............

Susan Rogers, the executive director of the Oklahoma Board of Dentistry, told The Associated Press that she talked with Tulsa County District Attorney Tim Harris on Monday to discuss whether Harrington is criminally liable.............

Harrington and his staff could face at least two felony charges, Rogers said, including practicing dentistry without a license and aiding or abetting another person who is violating the state's dental act. Rogers said each possible charge could carry a prison term of up to four years and a $10,000 fine.

"I did speak to the DA this morning and I've talked to other officials, and I can't comment on those conversations, but there's more to come," Rogers said...........

"We are here for the long haul," Snider said. "We know we can't screen 7,000 patients in a day or even in a week."

Those who have been tested should receive their results within two weeks, she added..............

Court records show that Harrington was sued for medical malpractice in 1994, and the case was settled in 1995. He also was sued for negligence in 1997, which was settled out of court in the same year.

More at link....

Dozens of Tulsa doctor's patients test positive for hepatitis, HIV (Daily Oklahoman)
More than 60 former patients of dentist Dr. W. Scott Harrington tested positive for hepatitis and HIV, the Tulsa Health Department said Thursday.

The department’s investigation of Harrington’s practice identified 57 former patients who test positive for hepatitis C, three people who test positive for hepatitis B and less than three people who tested positive for HIV.

“We understand these first reported test results may be of concern,” said THD Director Dr. Bruce Dart. “Thorough investigations are routinely conducted upon notification of a positive report for these infections. This response will be handled in the same manner, as disease investigation is a core public health service and staff are well trained to conduct this type of response.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back