Kansas Family Raided in Failed Drug Bust

Snick1946

Reaction score
Haven't our LE people got anything better to do with their time?

http://news.yahoo.com/kansas-couple-indoor-gardening-prompted-pot-raid-182449463.html

Good Lord- are retailers now reporting purchase of indoor gardening supplies to the authorities? I am not a supporter of legalization as I still think pot is detremental to those who use it and to society in general. To me however this sort of thing shouldn't be happening. I hope they sue the heck out of these people.

This is really odd. It will be interesting to find out what prompted the search. I wonder how many other people that were starting their garden indoors got raided. I about peed my pants when they said they had them under surveillance for months and when they raided them, all they found was a few vegetable plants. Is the crime rate that low in their town that they have the resources to stake out tiny indoor grow/garden operations? I could see something being prompted if they had their whole basement set up but this is laughing ridiculous.

This is really odd. It will be interesting to find out what prompted the search. I wonder how many other people that were starting their garden indoors got raided. I about peed my pants when they said they had them under surveillance for months and when they raided them, all they found was a few vegetable plants. Is the crime rate that low in their town that they have the resources to stake out tiny indoor grow/garden operations? I could see something being prompted if they had their whole basement set up but this is laughing ridiculous.

I think what happened is that some thick headed sheriff wanted a big publicity splash to get more money for his department; maybe to buy more paramilitary garbage. They apparently thought they were onto a sure thing.
There is a disturbing trend in LE these days and this is a good example. Due process and caution are being sacrificed.

Whoa! I have all the apparatus for hydroponic heirloom tomatoes & peppers & grow lamps to start seeds indoors. My son does demonstrations on hygroponic gardening. I'm almost certain my next door neighbor, the chief detective, knows we are growing legal herbs.

Actually, Georgia is one of the states that seizes property from illegal operations. You may get pulled over for speeding on the interstate by a shiney new Porsche that was formerly owned by a drug dealer.

I wonder if they were using heirloom seeds. Conspiracy theorists believe that it will eventually be illegal to have those.

This is just ridiculous and there is no excuse for it. What probable cause did they have? From what I can see they had minimal equipment and a few veggies. No big light bill, outward signs of suspicious activity, no signs of excess unexplained cash or odd cars dropping by the house as if to pick up something and go.

What a waste of tax dollars, police time and so much else. This is just infuriating really and if it were me I would be livid. I would be feeling pretty scared of my police and govt and worried that next time someone might frame them to cover their own stupidity. I imagine the cops are in the "cover your azz" mode and I would be scared if I were this family. Can they even sleep safely at night without being worried about it happening again or reliving when it already happened.

I wonder if they were using heirloom seeds. Conspiracy theorists believe that it will eventually be illegal to have those.

I'm not a gardener so need to ask, what are heirloom seeds? TIA

Agree, this raid was ridiculous esp. considering the money and time involved with the budgets being cut everywhere....I want to know what evidence they had to even start watching these people...did somebody, a neighbor, report them?

This is just ridiculous and there is no excuse for it. What probable cause did they have? From what I can see they had minimal equipment and a few veggies. No big light bill, outward signs of suspicious activity, no signs of excess unexplained cash or odd cars dropping by the house as if to pick up something and go.

What a waste of tax dollars, police time and so much else. This is just infuriating really and if it were me I would be livid. I would be feeling pretty scared of my police and govt and worried that next time someone might frame them to cover their own stupidity. I imagine the cops are in the "cover your azz" mode and I would be scared if I were this family. Can they even sleep safely at night without being worried about it happening again or reliving when it already happened.

Luckily it hit the media. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of teasing going on at the police station.

They are both former CIA which I find a little odd.

I think it's likely that the store where they bought the supplies reported them. Just blows my mind- someone can walk out the door with enough fertilizer to build a bomb and some clerk playing junior G-man reports these folks? Maybe because they were strangers in the community?

These little podunk LE agencies get federal grants for all their paramilitary equipment so I guess they want to try it out.

Heirloom seeds aren't the gmo modified seeds and are hard to find nowadays. Seeds from heirloom plants can be used to plant again, but supposedly the gmo will only grow one season then new seeds have to be bought. Some people think the gmo stuff will make everyone ill and and that heirloom seeds will be against the law to grow from. I don't follow that, but a friend tells me things she reads.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back