1175 users online (215 members and 960 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
    Quote Originally Posted by walklikeacat View Post
    As far as we all (presume to) know, the lid on that certain tank was unlocked on the night Elisa died.

And her parents have been making a suing against Cecil Hotel Managament Inc. In that suing they mean that the operators had an obligation to make the premises safe for Elisa Lam and all the other guests, that included inspections to seek out hazards in the hotel. Hazards like unlocked lids that could be a danger. I have not been reading anything further about this suing.
    Yes, it was definitely unlocked. The tanks at the hotel did not have any locks whatsoever until after Elisa was found in the tank.

The tanks could be latched closed (or just closed), but anyone could open the lids. The police said the lids were difficult to remove, but they weren't impeded by any kind of lock.

However, it is possible the lid wasn't even on the tank at all that night.

But, you are correct. By code, the tanks should have been locked. The hotel was in violation of code for all four tanks. With both police and the fire department there to see the lack of locks, I guess the hotel will be in a lot of trouble.
    Last edited by December; 11-05-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: removing smilie my phone decided to randomly add

Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this, so please feel free to move to wherever is most appropriate, but this photo/news story made me think of Elisa right away.

(Before I read it and saw her case mentioned, I mean...)

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...rre&id=9409571

I am just not comfortable with the findings. I guess I would be more convinced if the family stated that without meds Elisa would become manic, paranoid, and hallucinate. All this would make better sense.

But they don't, which makes me wonder why would anyone in their right mind climb into such a tight hole into a tank of water in the middle of the night?? I can't buy suicide either, heck she was on a roof of a pretty historical building. What would be more dramatic than to jump? But that is JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiDFW View Post
    I am just not comfortable with the findings. I guess I would be more convinced if the family stated that without meds Elisa would become manic, paranoid, and hallucinate. All this would make better sense.

But they don't, which makes me wonder why would anyone in their right mind climb into such a tight hole into a tank of water in the middle of the night?? I can't buy suicide either, heck she was on a roof of a pretty historical building. What would be more dramatic than to jump? But that is JMO.
    I agree. I still feel there's way more to this story than we know.

This case interests me because it reminds me of an old friend, who went from "seemingly normal" to "psychotic" in the relatively short time that I was close friends with her. Looking at Elisa's tumblr and internet presence, she reminds me a lot of my friend. Especially after watching the elevator video. From my perspective, it appears that Elisa is hallucinating, talking to herself, seeing things that aren't real, and looks very scared, or at least confused.

The hints that my friend was becoming psychotic were subtle, mostly just involving weird beliefs/statements (that were only really weird in retrospect), seeming dissociated or depressed, etc. Next thing I knew she was taking off her clothes in public and saying she controlled the universe. She eventually got committed because she pulled a fire alarm and crawled, naked, into a stranger's car. Yes, it makes absolutely no sense, much like Elisa ending up on the roof of the Cecil and somehow getting inside the water tank.

I don't mean to derail the thread -- but from my research and personal experience, you just cannot trust people in the midst of a psychotic episode to make decisions that are anywhere close to sensible. Not only that, but people who appear sane can become psychotic in the blink of an eye. They will do things that you thought were impossible, or that no human would do. I would imagine that Elisa was scared, or maybe even just curious, and got into the water tank without an inkling of what it actually was or the danger it presented to her.

My friend is lucky that she did not die because many of the things she did brought her dang close. She would eat random pills off the ground and get into complete strangers' cars. Her mindset reverted to that of a naive child who didn't know left from right, when she had been very intelligent before.

Schizophrenia or psychosis is such a tragic thing. When a person is psychotic, they become completely different from who they once were. It's terrifying to see, especially since nothing you say gets through to the person at all, as they are off in their own world. Rest in peace, Elisa.

All MOO.
    Last edited by Syttende; 02-23-2014 at 11:11 PM.

A Horror Movie of EL???

So it seems the script was bought by Sony Hmmmm http://bc.ctvnews.ca/sony-buys-horro...eath-1.1707726

Finally, a thoughtful article by a writer who has considered the nuances we had discussed here for months
    “I fear I would look exactly like this if there were cameras in the lifts at Tygerberg [Hospital] when they are on the fritz,” is the pithy verdict of psychiatry registrar Dr Kathleen Mawson. “She certainly isn't psychometrically agitated or posturing or anything else suggestive. She's rather well-kempt.”
    I didn't post this to start the whole mental health debate all over again. Just thought it was reassuring that there are at least a few people who agree that this cannot be neatly tied up and will likely always remain a mystery.

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/artic.../#.U5-b4_ldUr4

I don't mean to demean the article here, per say, but the following paragraph is greatly inaccurate, in my opinion.

"
    There were, however, some nagging questions. The first was how on earth Lam got onto the roof. Access to the roof was barricaded throughout (although there was a fire escape) and the entire rooftop area was protected by an alarm. The water tanks themselves were so difficult to access that workers had to cut the tank open to remove her body. The lids of the water tanks are so heavy, furthermore, that it is likely impossible one person could have moved them. How, then, did Lam get into the tank and then replace the lid behind her?

And then there’s the mystery person who updated her blog six months after her death.
    The biggest mistake here is that the hole was cut in the tank because it would've been close to impossible to remove her body through the roof-hole of the tank without damaging it. How else were they supposed to remove the body? Just an amazingly overlooked fact the writer misses there.

I also think that saying the roof was "barricaded" is a stretch to say the least. I don't know if the writer did enough research. There are a plethora of youtube videos showing how easily people could access the roof, even by the "alarmed" door.

Also, How did she ascertain the information pertaining to the weight of the lid doors? I haven't seen that in anything I've read, and I've read a great deal.

I'm interested in why people don't work on facts that we can actually find out answers for, like why the elevators malfunctioned or what type of cistern system the hotel uses (anyone have blueprints?). The weight of the lids should be a fact that can be found by interviewing the right people. I mean, given the age of the tanks, there has to be a limited set of manufacturers and models.

Same with the elevators.

Maybe that's a lot of work, but wouldn't it be worth looking into?

I know I've seen diagrams here, but I haven't seen any definite answers.

Quote Originally Posted by red wolf View Post
    I'm interested in why people don't work on facts that we can actually find out answers for, like why the elevators malfunctioned or what type of cistern system the hotel uses (anyone have blueprints?). The weight of the lids should be a fact that can be found by interviewing the right people. I mean, given the age of the tanks, there has to be a limited set of manufacturers and models.

Same with the elevators.

Maybe that's a lot of work, but wouldn't it be worth looking into?

I know I've seen diagrams here, but I haven't seen any definite answers.
    Do you have a link that says that the elevators malfunctioned? I've never read that anywhere, and I don't believe that it was the case.

There have been complaints about the elevators at the Cecil. Mostly, just one or the other being out of order. However, it seems like the one Elisa was riding was working. Maybe not perfectly, but well enough without some kind of human interference (pushing buttons, for example which we know Elisa did).

Now, if that elevator had been offline right before or right after Elisa's video (within 12 hours either way), THAT would be interesting. But, I have never read such a thing. I wonder if the police asked about this at the time.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14