Roger Ebert passes away.

Good Journey Roger. Fare thee well.

rut roh. Steely Dan has a thread on this too. very sad. I liked Roger Ebert. He seemed a nice sort of fella.

RIP. I truly loved that show!

Thanks Woofie...

I tended to agree with Siskel more, but Ebert was by far the better writer.

Ebert seemed to be the more critical of the two, but by being so he was able to teach how to look at film through a critical eye.

RIP Mr. Ebert.

So sad. I trusted his reviews completely and liked his personality -- never missed Siskel and Ebert back in the day.

A wonderful writer. RIP Mr Ebert, you will be missed. :rose:

So sad. :( On Tuesday, I was reading his "Leave of Presence" journal entry that he posted that day about taking a leave of absence!

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2013/04/a_leave_of_presense.html

What in the world is a leave of presence? It means I am not going away. My intent is to continue to write selected reviews but to leave the rest to a talented team of writers handpicked and greatly admired by me. What's more, I'll be able at last to do what I've always fantasized about doing: reviewing only the movies I want to review.

I loved 'At the Movies' and 'Sneak Previews' with Siskel and Ebert. I particularly liked the segment "Dog of the Week" where they review the worst movie they watched for that week, plus they had a little dog on the set! RIP Roger Ebert.

Ebert:

Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you.

No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough.

Every great film should seem new every time you see it.

I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization.

Co-written by Roger Ebert

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH6bgJEEr34"]" beyond the valley of the dolls " - official film trailer 1970. - YouTube[/ame]

Wow, I had just heard last night in TV that he was taking a "leave of presence" (as opposed to a leave of absence?") from working. I remember watching his show at times all throughout my life. He will be fondly remember and missed.

"Taking a leave of presence" in essence is what great writers do when they die. Ebert knew his work would live on, be remembered. He's not here but his voice will remain.

This is an absolutely terrific, must-readable, Will Leitch piece on Ebert:

My Roger Ebert Story (Deadspin)
The first time I was ever published in a book was 1997. It was
because I'd found Roger Ebert's email and asked him a question.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back