836 users online (124 members and 712 guests)  

Websleuths News

NJ - Franklin, Skeletal Remains UP10717, 18-99, at Consolata Missionaries, Sep'12

I'm going to go out on a major limb here.

last month a skull of an African American male was found on the property of

Consolata Missionaries
    2301 Route 27
    Franklin, New Jersey

they estimated the skull had been there about 2 yrs. the skull had all of 2 teeth left:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11151

In Sept 2012, a right tibia and a right patella were found on the property of

Consolata Missionaries
    2301 Route 27
    Franklin, New Jersey

they estimated the bones had been there about 2 yrs. based on what little they found, they are uncertain as to race and age and give a rough estimate of 5'5" as the height.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10717

I am going to venture a guess that the skull and the leg bones belong to the same person! this means we are looking for an African American male age 40 or higher.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the remains are those of Arthur Wakefield, Jr., then age 66 who was last seen leaving his home in North Brunswick, NJ by bicycle on August 5, 2006.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/15121/4/

the picture appears to be taken in a custodial setting so Mr. Wakefield could have been living on the streets for a while before perishing (assuming of course he is one in the same as the remains). Mr. Wakefield was listed as being 5'9" but they are basing the height of the UID with the tibia and patella solely on those bones.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-05-2013 at 12:00 PM.

I just went to google maps and this is even closer than I thought. the property of Consolata Missionaries is on the west side of Route 27, Franklin Township, Somerset County. the other side of Route 27 is North Brunswick, Middlesex County.

I don't usually make phone calls but on this one I did. too much going on here. correct race, age bracket and geography made it too tempting to pass up.

I called the contact listed in Namus. a man took a message and the contact called me back. when I advised that I had a missing person who seemed to match, she advised me to call the Franklin Township Police Dept which is running the investigation. I got the # for the investigations dept and got a voice mail for the secretary. I left a message and so far no call back.

I would add that the UID had only 2 teeth. Wakefield is noted to have had dentures. how complete a set, I do not know. so we are still in the ballpark dentally speaking.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ld_arthur.html

I got a call from the detective assigned to this case. very nice guy. I told him that I look at these sites and saw this possible match and passed the info onto him. he had never heard of Namus and I gave him the website info. he had no idea who had even input his skull and the other leg bones they found last year.

he asked about the contact info for Wakefield, which I gave him. he said he was going to call the North Brunswick PD and ask them what they knew about Wakefield as he was curious to know where in town he had last lived. he confirmed that North Brunswick is right across 27 from the missionaries property where the skull was found.

he was very appreciative for the head's up (no pun intended).

First thoughts on looking at this case: Rt 27 there is pretty much two lanes and has narrow to non-existent shoulders. On top of that, it's barely lit. It really is a death trap for bikers. Any biker, including Arthur Wakefield, could easily have been hit and knocked a little ways into the fields surrounding the mission, but exactly how far into the property were these remains found? Was a bicycle found there at any time in the last two years (I wouldn't expect one to be found, if there were any usable parts it would be taken, there's a thriving bike stealing/chop shop gang in New Brunswick)?

Second thought: Consolata Mission rents its enormous 'lawns' to farmers so, for much of the year, it is growing corn. Corn would hide a body if it was the right season, or it would show a clear trail where someone was hit and knocked into the field. With the body broken up the way described in the OP, I'm thinking it has been plowed through several times. No doubt this would show on examination, but I'm not certain that we have the complete information on that. I'd like to think that the farmer doing the plowing would notice a skeleton among the corn stubble in his path, so that brings up the possibility that the deceased was initially in a shallow grave.

Fortunately, dentures should survive two years and would probably miss being plowed and harrowed; unfortunately I don't think anyone is going to do a search for the dentures that would confirm this was Arthur.

Is there any information on where in the field the remains were found?

I don't know about anyone killing a man for his bicycle. New Brunswick has its crime problems but North Brunswick is pretty quiet.

I never heard back from the detective. I probably should call him but I figure he called the North Brunswick police already and who knows what they found out. keep in mind he had no idea who set up the Namus page so theoretically, the local police could have cleared this up without notifying anyone else.

also when I called the listed contact person she referred me to the local police.

After searching NJ unidentifieds on namus, seeing those two entries for Somerset County, I checked here to see if anyone else had noticed that...
    Good find Webrocket!
    I'm assuming you haven't heard anything further?

nothing yet. I'm not that keen on making phone calls (although I did on this one). since the detective did not know who put up the Namus page for this UID, I'm not sure how it would be updated with a match or a rule out.

Strangely enough, the first link I posted with the skull and two teeth is not accessible. The second link is and the MP page for Wakefield is still up and running.

Can anyone access further to find out what happened to case # 11151?

I think this man may have been identified. That 'Permission Error' message comes up when a missing person is found or a UID is identified.

I find it hard to believe they had TWO different bodies on that property.