1405 users online (203 members and 1202 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Giant tarantula discovered in Sri Lanka

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

All I can say is that the nature is amazing, but I'm glad I'm not in Sri Lanka!

There has to be a lot of meat in that thing. I wonder if it tastes like chicken?

shudder
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

The regular size tarantulas are scary enough! This is a nightmare!!
    This is just MOO

i'm scared to death of spiders but my darn curiosity made me want to check this out. (shakes my head asking why do i do this to myself?)
    we need to encourage harder sentencing on those that are harming our children. our children are worth it!!

stop the circus!! these children as all children deserve to be found and justice brought forth for what has happened to them!!

Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    Quote Originally Posted by athy View Post
    i'm scared to death of spiders but my darn curiosity made me want to check this out. (shakes my head asking why do i do this to myself?)
    then whatever you do - don't google Camel Spiders. These are in Iraq and the middle east - our military knows all about them. Scary scary stuff. They aren't really spiders but if you read up on them - they are nasty nasty creatures.

JMHO

lol i already did once. that was enough
    we need to encourage harder sentencing on those that are harming our children. our children are worth it!!

stop the circus!! these children as all children deserve to be found and justice brought forth for what has happened to them!!

I do not ever want to wake up with that thing on my face.

Taking visit to Sri Lanka off my bucket list.
    YOU can help find missing persons by sharing missing person notices on your social media!

Quote Originally Posted by toscaxyz View Post
    There has to be a lot of meat in that thing. I wonder if it tastes like chicken?
    When I read this, I was just about to post that after a certain size, they start reminding me of delicious crustaceans!

People do eat tarantulas, they eat them like they would crab legs, etc.

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Tarantulas crunch when you step on them. Kind of like a water bug. Except I learned that you don't have to step on them hard enough to get their guts all over you...you just have to tap down lightly enough to crack their exoskeleton. They aren't fast movers (not like wolf spiders), unless they are small.

People have always been astounded that I raised my children without having to raise my voice much or ground them when they got older in order to get them to do the right thing.

I always joke with my kids that it's because they've seen me kill both water bugs (american cockroaches) and tarantulas with my bare feet. Yes, bare feet lol. When you've got kids on your hip or a room full of kids and no shoes on in the house---you just walk over and tap on it's body lightly with your foot and it cracks the exoskeleton. That way it "ain't" going anywhere until you can get it out of the house.

We had a nest of tarantulas under one of our old military quarters that we didn't know about until rainy season when the rain was so heavy they headed above the slab foundation to ride out the rain with us. I had 4 small kids and probably about mmmmm, 10 tarantulas in the house? Yes, I didn't run out of the house into the rain...I didn't run out of the room to go find my shoes. I just got to steppin---on them. LOL

ETA: I can't stand large wolf spiders. In west TX they are huge and they are fast. I call them the porsche of the spiderworld. One time I got a pajama top off a pile of clean laundry I had in the corner that I hadn't put away yet. Put in on to lay down and felt something tickling my chest area. I thought it was a string or something. Out popped a wolf spider about half the size of my palm. Yes---the neighbors heard me scream that time. And it sounded like a posse of men fighting in my bedroom as I chased the sucker around my bedroom ---they can move!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Tarantulas crunch when you step on them. Kind of like a water bug. Except I learned that you don't have to step on them hard enough to get their guts all over you...you just have to tap down lightly enough to crack their exoskeleton. They aren't fast movers (not like wolf spiders), unless they are small.

People have always been astounded that I raised my children without having to raise my voice much or ground them when they got older in order to get them to do the right thing.

I always joke with my kids that it's because they've seen me kill both water bugs (american cockroaches) and tarantulas with my bare feet. Yes, bare feet lol. When you've got kids on your hip or a room full of kids and no shoes on in the house---you just walk over and tap on it's body lightly with your foot and it cracks the exoskeleton. That way it "ain't" going anywhere until you can get it out of the house.

We had a nest of tarantulas under one of our old military quarters that we didn't know about until rainy season when the rain was so heavy they headed above the slab foundation to ride out the rain with us. I had 4 small kids and probably about mmmmm, 10 tarantulas in the house? Yes, I didn't run out of the house into the rain...I didn't run out of the room to go find my shoes. I just got to steppin---on them. LOL

ETA: I can't stand large wolf spiders. In west TX they are huge and they are fast. I call them the porsche of the spiderworld. One time I got a pajama top off a pile of clean laundry I had in the corner that I hadn't put away yet. Put in on to lay down and felt something tickling my chest area. I thought it was a string or something. Out popped a wolf spider about half the size of my palm. Yes---the neighbors heard me scream that time. And it sounded like a posse of men fighting in my bedroom as I chased the sucker around my bedroom ---they can move!
    Agreed about wolf spiders! They are large and faster than any spider I have ever seen, and faster than many other small animals! They terrify me due the combo of size and blazing speed (and fangs that are huge!)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Ackkkkkkklll

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    then whatever you do - don't google Camel Spiders. These are in Iraq and the middle east - our military knows all about them. Scary scary stuff. They aren't really spiders but if you read up on them - they are nasty nasty creatures.

JMHO
    Since you said "don't google Camel Spiders".....of course....I've got to google Camel Spiders now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast