CA CA - Samuel Michel, 25, Los Angeles, 10 Apr 2012

aajn83

Reaction score
I just noticed this story today and it caught my attention because it occurred just after I moved away from Los Angeles, and it happened in an area that I used to frequent while I lived there.

There are few details. Basically, a 25 year old male, native of New York state, had been living in the Koreatown area of Los Angeles. He went out with a friend to a bar near his apartment, walked home, and was found dead around 2:40am that same night.

Here is a link to the story in LAist, which has all of the information that I was able to find. There are a few other news stories out there, but it's all the same information: http://laist.com/2013/04/06/family_offers_100000_reward_to_solv.php

There are no suspects and no known motive. The only thing witnesses reported was hearing a fight, objects being thrown, and loud screaming. Also, a man, either white or hispanic, was seen leaving on a BMX-style bicycle. Also, the security cameras at the apartment building were conveniently not working the night of the murder.

Personal reasons have me very intrigued by this case and frustrated at the lack of information released. Even the photograph being used in most news reports doesn't give a clear image of the victim's face.

Any thoughts? Links to other stories, perhaps?

This is the first time I've heard anything about this case. It has barely been publicized in Los Angeles at all. It especially creeps me out because my friend lives a few blocks away from the scene of the murder. Parking can be tough to find in the area (depending when you're there) and the one and only time I parked on 8th, I got harassed and catcalled. I realize that harassment is not the same as a murder, I'm just saying that 8th St. and the streets south of there seem to give off a sketchier vibe than the streets north of there do. The millions of times I parked on Wilshire or 7th, no one has ever bothered me.

I was able to find this article from last August which contains a picture of Samuel without sunglasses:

http://www.scpr.org/news/2012/08/16...lues-reward-offered-solve-koreatown-/?slide=1

I remember reading about this case back when it first occurred, 2012. I also lived in the area (Larchmont, next to K-Town) and thought it was such a bizarre case, for a young man to be stabbed in his own apartment, his murderer casually bicycling away...and absolutely no closure, no cctv, no clues, nothing. I feel so terrible for his parents, and can't believe that with a reward as huge as $100k (very rare), there wasn't any information which could help bring the killer to face justice.

Sam was a good friend of mine, it's been disheartening to see how little information has come through over the years.

There are a few things about this that aren't mentioned in any of the articles I've seen that I think are probably relevant; Sam was mugged by a couple teenagers about a week before his murder. His phone and wallet were stolen. He was really gentle and handed these items without a fight. At the urging of neighbors, he told the police about the incident and the two kids were found nearby, and his items were returned to him, I'm not sure what happened to the teenagers. This just seems like such a coincidence to happen immediately prior to him being murdered. Additionally, from speaking with others who were interviewed by the police, I have heard (this isn't confirmed) that the only item stolen from him the night of his murder was his phone.

Finally, in a handful of articles they say Sam met with a friend at R Bar down the street, I actually don't think this is accurate. He was supposed to meet up with a friend who cancelled, and he went alone. I believe he *met* someone new at R Bar.

Sam was incredibly kind and gentle, it's really hard to understand how this could have happened.

Sam was a good friend of mine, it's been disheartening to see how little information has come through over the years.

There are a few things about this that aren't mentioned in any of the articles I've seen that I think are probably relevant; Sam was mugged by a couple teenagers about a week before his murder. His phone and wallet were stolen. He was really gentle and handed these items without a fight. At the urging of neighbors, he told the police about the incident and the two kids were found nearby, and his items were returned to him, I'm not sure what happened to the teenagers. This just seems like such a coincidence to happen immediately prior to him being murdered. Additionally, from speaking with others who were interviewed by the police, I have heard (this isn't confirmed) that the only item stolen from him the night of his murder was his phone.

Finally, in a handful of articles they say Sam met with a friend at R Bar down the street, I actually don't think this is accurate. He was supposed to meet up with a friend who cancelled, and he went alone. I believe he *met* someone new at R Bar.

Sam was incredibly kind and gentle, it's really hard to understand how this could have happened.
Hello. Sam is my cousin and I’m not sure all of this information is correct.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back