Mood tense as anniversary of Lucasville seige - longest U.S. prison riot - approaches

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Mood tense as 20th anniversary of Lucasville approaches (AP)
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- It's been two decades this month since the longest deadly prison riot in U.S. history broke out in southern Ohio and there's trepidation in the air.

A prisons chief in Colorado and a district attorney in Texas and his wife have been slain.

The ratio of inmates to guards inside Ohio's prisons has crept up again after a dip that followed the 11-day siege at Lucasville's Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in 1993.
---
"It wasn't until we actually had the death of (Corrections Officer) Bobby Vallandingham and the riot in Lucasville that people understood that we'd been serious and what we'd been saying was real," Paul Goldberg, past executive director of the Ohio Civil Service Employees Association, said. "I fear the same circumstances are emerging today."

Vallandingham was among 12 staff members taken hostage on April 11, 1993, when inmates overtook the prison that sits 10 miles north of the Ohio River. They were exiting the recreation yard on an Easter Sunday when it happened. Vallandingham was killed on the fourth day of the occupation, after his inmate captors had flown a bed sheet out the windows threatening to kill a hostage if certain demands weren't met.
---
Christopher Knecht, a former inmate at Lucasville who served time both during the riot and some years afterward, said the two eras can't compare. "The conditions now are nothing like they were," he said. "The only complaints now would be issues dealing with guard-prisoner relationship, classification, property, food, visits and things of that nature - typical complaints found at all prisons."

Yet the anniversary arrives as the national mood within the corrections profession is apprehensive.
---
lengthy article at link above

Wuffy, I couldn't get to your link - took me to the front page of the AP.

I am interested, though...thanks for posting the snippet. I'll look around for more info.

Best-
Herding Cats

At one time my Dad applied for a job at that prison. He was called for an interview but after some debate with my mother (she was apprehensive) he decided it would be too far to drive for a job. Within a couple of years they had the riot. I was so glad he didn't decide to work there!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back