1139 users online (235 members and 904 guests)  

Websleuths News

LA - Victor Navarro, 32, Myrtle Grove, 4 April 2013

Victor Navarro, 32

Plaquemines Parish authorities say they still have not found a Hammond man who has been missing since Thursday when he drove his truck into the Myrtle Grove Canal.
    http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ss...ing_hammo.html

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...fter_cras.html

According to the sheriff’s office, Navarro was driving in Myrtle Grove about 10:30 p.m. and crashed into the water.
    Authorities said Navarro called a friend for help, saying he drove his truck, a white 2011 Dodge Ram, into the water and the truck was filling up with water and he couldn’t open the doors.
    Navarro’s friend arrived shortly after the call and searched for Navarro without success, authorities said.

The truck was found in the water, and authorities think he made it to shore.

"We think maybe he made it to the shoreline but he has a medical condition that we're concerned with and it appears from the vehicle there's impact so he may have sustained an injury," Becnel said.
    http://www.fox8live.com/story/219001...ng-hammond-man
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Why wouldn't Victor's friend call police immediately upon receiving that call? Better yet, why wouldn't Victor have called police instead of a friend when his car began filling up with water and he realized he could not escape? I don't know about this one- I'm thinking we're missing something here. I hope his friend is being honest, and hopefully there wasn't a fight/altercation involved here. That said, I hope Victor is found safe, and soon.

Navarro’s body was located at about 1:15 p.m. Sunday just under the surface of the water about 20 feet from the bank and about 75 feet south of where his vehicle was pulled out of the Myrtle Grove Canal on Friday.

The only trauma noted to Navarro’s body was a small laceration under his left eye, officials say.

RIP, Victor. Prayers for the family.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Has hinky written all over it.
    * ** ........................ *

........Vultures................ L.U.S.T. spells Love

Runt of the litter...........Los Vigilantes...........

Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanz View Post
    Has hinky written all over it.
    Call me skeptical, but I'm lookin at the "friend"!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Rest in peace, Victor.
    "All your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream—a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person.” - True Detective

Help Save the Next Girl. http://helpsavethenextgirl.com

Help Find Shane Fell. Http://helpfindshanefell.com

Strange. The water where his truck is doesn't even look that deep - looks like you could even possibly touch bottom with your feet depending on how tall you are. Also, the bank doesn't look that far away, definitely close enough to swim to.

Of course at night maybe he couldn't see the bank. Or hitting his head impaired his facilities in some way.

I don't understand why the friend searched for an hour before calling police. I'll bet he's kicking himself now for that.

My take on this is that Victor was drunk and did not want to call the police and risk being arrested for a DUI. So, he called his friend, who likely was at the Myrtle Grove Bar, where Vic was drinking after work. The friend searched frantically for Vic, who probably finally got a window open to free himself. That's why Vic was not inside the truck when his body was found.

After an hour (from Vic's call to the friend, or an hour from the friend's arrival at the scene of the drowning?), the friend called the police.

Had Navarro realized the grave danger he was in, he would have called 911 to initiate a rescue.

Had he not been drinking so much, well, he would still be alive today. Eyewitnesses at the bar say he was driving erratically when he left.

Something about this case is so intriguing. Vic's facebook page lays out his family situation (married to a great woman, two children, moved up to Hammond from Belle Chasse after Hurricane Katrina, and more). Looking through his facebook photos, there his personal interests are revealed. He was really fond of drinking daiquiris and of his pickup truck.

He used to live in Belle Chasse. He knew the area. I did a mapquest of the bar's location and where he went into the canal. The distance was about a mile or so, in the opposite direction of his home in Hammond, which is an hour and a half away. Why he went into that subdivision is a mystery - and why he drove into the water, too. He had to go through someone's back yard, if you look at the subdivision on the map. We would have to actually visit the site to see where he went in, but it just seems unlikely that he just found himself in the canal. It's off the main road of Hwy 23.

I had an interest in this case when I found his facebook page, and then learned he lived just two miles away from me. His house (pictured on his fb page) is dark but the camper is still there. My neighbor conjectured that maybe his widow and children went to stay with her mother. God bless her and the kids - she could not control his drinking and it led to his demise.

There are other questions - mainly, what sort of medical condition may have prevented him from swimming ashore after freeing himself through an open window? And should he have not been drinking alcohol with this medical condition?

I found this site while searching for his obituary - cannot find one in the local media or in New Orleans (nola.com, google searches).

Thanks for allowing me to express myself here.

Welcome to WS, Catfishphil! Thank you for sharing your insight. You make a lot of sense.

This is a terribly sad story, like so many. As you probably know, Terrilynn Monette went missing in New Orleans in early March , and there is suspicion that she might have driven into one of the waterways in City Park or nearby. Knowing the area so well, I'm doubtful that's what happened, but who knows. I would think it would be easier for an accident like that to take place in Myrtle Grove from what I recall about the area. (I've fished there in the past, but not in a very long while.) Now I'm curious. Think I'll pull the site up on a map.

ETA: I pulled it up on a map. It's much easier to picture a car going in the water where VN's car was found than in the areas around NOLA. What's strange is that he was so far off the highway, and where he should've been headed if he was staying at the address noted in the nola article.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...fter_cras.html

http://goo.gl/maps/4AS9i
    Last edited by bessie; 04-12-2013 at 02:30 AM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by Redux View Post
    Strange. The water where his truck is doesn't even look that deep - looks like you could even possibly touch bottom with your feet depending on how tall you are. Also, the bank doesn't look that far away, definitely close enough to swim to.

Of course at night maybe he couldn't see the bank. Or hitting his head impaired his facilities in some way.

I don't understand why the friend searched for an hour before calling police. I'll bet he's kicking himself now for that.
    Add alcohol impaired, and it's a deadly mix. Such a shame.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Bessie, thank you for the aerial map and that particular nola.com article (with the addresses) that I hadn't previously seen. The photo map is super helpful and sort of confirms my thinking that this entire incident was completely avoidable had Victor not drank so much. The photo gives me a new idea: Victor wanted to park somewhere safe to sleep off the alcohol and avoid a DUI arrest.

As you understand the entire geography of this region (and I was down there for an afternoon not long ago for the first time), Highway 23 runs down to the mouth of the Mississippi River. There is very little to see off this highway; tanker superstructures peek over the levee to the east as they navigate the river, and there are sporadically located marinas to the west. Support businesses and villages here and there, but lot a lot of thriving development. It's like this all the way down to the end of the road, with the only hotel being a collection of temporary buildings in a semi-circle. Even the Subway Sandwich shop is in a prefab building. Hurricanes take out any attempt at permanent buildings. There are exceptions, but it's surprising there's even a subdivision down there, and of course the closer one gets to New Orleans, the more permanent structures you'll find.

The aerial photo you provided shows where he drove the truck off the pavement and into the Myrtle Grove Canal. It would seem to not be a case of going too fast in a dark, poorly lit neighborhood and skidding into the water. He knew the canal was there. He went back there for a specific reason.

He knew the area, and now I suspect he pulled his truck back there to sleep off the alcohol before driving back to Hammond or reporting for work the next day. He knew he was too drunk to risk a DUI but had nowhere else to go. Maybe he's done this before.

Victor pulled back into a quiet subdivision where he could park his Durango, off the road a bit (a bit too far), away from the main road, where it was quiet and he would be relatively safe but not too noticeable. Maybe he should have gotten out of the truck and walked back there to see if it was safe to park. But he drove too far off the pavement and found himself in the canal.

The police photos indicate the truck went into the canal perpendicular to the bank, not at an angle. If he had traveled that far into the water at an angle, this might suggest that he was driving really fast and lost control, veering off the road. There was an empty house lot at the end of the road - he could easily parked there for the night.

You've got to wonder if he called his wife to tell her what he gong to sleep it off. He called the friend to rescue him without police involvement, to avoid that DUI. How rational could one be when you're that drunk? I would have hated to be that friend, stuck in that situation, trying to help my buddy in that truck, then having to call the police and also the victim's wife to explain what had happened. Was the friend nearby, also drinking at the bar, when he got the frantic call? We don't know.

Did the friend swim out to the truck in the rescue attempt? Call for backup from other friends? The water wasn't that deep, but deep enough to almost cover the roof(depending on the tide). Somebody rolled down those windows. If the friend had found Victor, surely he would have dragged VN to the shore. There is a lot of information we'd like to have to fill in these blanks...

Still no obituary for VM in Hammond or Nola...

Your theory about him pulling up there to sleep awhile makes a lot of sense, Catfish, but didn't one report say he called the friend first to say he was lost, and then a second time when he was in the water? I'll have to go back and look. One thing I know, he didn't go barreling down that little road. I think either he was going to sleep like you said, or maybe he backed up to turn around.

Anyway, here's the picture of his tire tracks from a news video. You're absolutely right. The tracks are perpendicular to the bank. The pickup probably rolled right off the soft edge.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/219001...ng-hammond-man

I was surprised to see the new construction on the google map. I didn't think people lived in anything that doesn't roll or float down that way anymore. lol (Please excuse. Don't mean to make light of the losses suffered.)

I think he must have gotten out on his own and fell unconscious. If the friend went in the water, it would've been impossible to find Victor in the pitch black darkness. So many questions. I hope the people who were around that night can provide some answers for the family. My heart really goes out to them.
    Last edited by bessie; 04-13-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Thanks for this information, Bessie. I still cannot find an obituary for VM. May he rest in peace...