CA CA - Marilyn Denice Waltz, 25, Bakersfield, 7 Jan 1978

Sadly enough no yearbook 1970 when she graduated from Foothill High School according the artikel in namus documents. In the artikel a very vaque photo anouncing her engagement.

She was born Marilyn Bigger on 26 July 1952. She married Fernando Arraztoa 23 June 1973 in California, which ties in with the NAMUS link to her engagement announcement. Oddly, they then divorced in August 1973. Whilst this may just be a case of finding they were incompatible I do wonder, given the speed, if there was a green card issue here as the husband was a Spanish national. Marilyn remarried in 1975 to Harry D Waltz, who still appears to be living in Bakersfield. I cannot find any definitive confirmation whether they were still together when she went missing but there does not seem to be a divorce record. However, there is a 1978 listing in the city directory for Bakersfield which has Don and Marilyn Waltz listed and it seems Harry Waltz used his second name, Don, as his father was also Harry. So it seems likely they remained married and together. This information comes from Ancestry.
It appears that Marilyn must have been declared dead at some point before 1986, or Harry Waltz must have secured a divorce, as Ancestry has a marriage record for Harry Don Waltz Jr to Joyce Ann Jones in Nevada in October 1985. I assume this is the same Harry Waltz.
Various sources report Marilyn as having a caesarean scar, indicating a child or children. I am pretty sure this is Leslie Waltz, a daughter born 21 June 1976. The Ancestry record of her birth shows the mothers maiden name as Bigger. She is also shown as related to Harry D Waltz in various places such as Radaris so this all ties in. She also still seems to be in Bakersfield under her married name of Leslie I Smith.

All of this just raises one obvious question; given the family and child why is there so little information out there. Are they not looking or do they know what happened (which may not be sinister, she may just have chosen to walk away)?

There is a strange postscript to my looking for information on this case.

As noted Marilyn was (briefly) married to Fernando E Arratzoa in 1973. I can find no trace of him in US records other than his marriage and divorce. In the 1980s Fernando Eros Caro was convicted of a double murder of two teens in 1980 and was named as the killer of two (other) teenagers in Bakersfield, also in 1980. He has subsequently been linked by DNA with the killing of an 8 year old girl in 1979 in the Fresno area. Whilst I have no evidence that Arratzoa and Caro are the same person I do wonder if it has ever been checked. Caro had a very deprived childhood and assuming another identity (especially with potential in laws) could be possible. As Caro is a former marine officer and helicopter pilot it should be easy for authorities to check his activities in summer 1973 when Marilyn married her Fernando.

My feeling is that the above is just coincidence. Caro was in the Marines and married in the 70s (and had children) - but I cannot find definitive dates and, from reports, it sounds as though his marriage was somewhat difficult - so I cannot rule out a connection. But it would have been difficult for Caro to have pursued an illicit relationship whilst married and/or in the Marines.

She was born Marilyn Bigger on 26 July 1952. She married Fernando Arraztoa 23 June 1973 in California, which ties in with the NAMUS link to her engagement announcement. Oddly, they then divorced in August 1973. Whilst this may just be a case of finding they were incompatible I do wonder, given the speed, if there was a green card issue here as the husband was a Spanish national. Marilyn remarried in 1975 to Harry D Waltz, who still appears to be living in Bakersfield. I cannot find any definitive confirmation whether they were still together when she went missing but there does not seem to be a divorce record. However, there is a 1978 listing in the city directory for Bakersfield which has Don and Marilyn Waltz listed and it seems Harry Waltz used his second name, Don, as his father was also Harry. So it seems likely they remained married and together. This information comes from Ancestry.
It appears that Marilyn must have been declared dead at some point before 1986, or Harry Waltz must have secured a divorce, as Ancestry has a marriage record for Harry Don Waltz Jr to Joyce Ann Jones in Nevada in October 1985. I assume this is the same Harry Waltz.
Various sources report Marilyn as having a caesarean scar, indicating a child or children. I am pretty sure this is Leslie Waltz, a daughter born 21 June 1976. The Ancestry record of her birth shows the mothers maiden name as Bigger. She is also shown as related to Harry D Waltz in various places such as Radaris so this all ties in. She also still seems to be in Bakersfield under her married name of Leslie I Smith.

All of this just raises one obvious question; given the family and child why is there so little information out there. Are they not looking or do they know what happened (which may not be sinister, she may just have chosen to walk away)?

Thanks for the info. I wonder who reported her missing. I don't get the idee that they search for her very hard. Otherwise there would be more info and pictures. Indeed a strange story...engage, marriage and divorce so quickly. In the Namus file the mention the mother of Fernando; Mrs Maria Josefa Echartea (of Spain).

Thanks for the info. I wonder who reported her missing. I don't get the idee that they search for her very hard. Otherwise there would be more info and pictures. Indeed a strange story...engage, marriage and divorce so quickly. In the Namus file the mention the mother of Fernando; Mrs Maria Josefa Echartea (of Spain).

I did look for the mother, but without success. However, there is a Fernando Echartea Arraztoa living in Navarra, Spain. It is possible he returned to Spain but I do not know whether this is him. I presume the Echartea Arraztoa is the common compounding of paternal and maternal surnames often seen in Spain (and Italy). My wife has Spanish/Italian ancestry which is the only reason I have come across this practice! Echartea and Arraztoa are Basque names and it is possible the name is not unique.

I did look for the mother, but without success. However, there is a Fernando Echartea Arraztoa living in Navarra, Spain. It is possible he returned to Spain but I do not know whether this is him. I presume the Echartea Arraztoa is the common compounding of paternal and maternal surnames often seen in Spain (and Italy). My wife has Spanish/Italian ancestry which is the only reason I have come across this practice! Echartea and Arraztoa are Basque names and it is possible the name is not unique.

Indeed I was wondering how it worked again, but I could not remember...I did know children from Spain get the mom and dad surname (witch is IOM the way it should be) Does not bring us any further :) Still many questions....actualy I came across her when searching for possible matches voor Annadale Jane Doe, but the stats are far off.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back