1011 users online (224 members and 787 guests)  

Websleuths News

Hymnal that dates to 1640 could fetch $30M

NEW YORK (AP) — A tiny hymnal from 1640 believed to be the first book ever printed in what is now the United States is going up for auction, and it could sell for as much as $30 million.

Only 11 copies of the Bay Psalm Book survive in varying degrees of completeness. Members of Boston's Old South Church have authorized the sale of one of its two copies at Sotheby's Nov. 26.

"It's a spectacular book, arguably one of the most important books in this nation's history," said the Rev. Nancy Taylor, senior minister and CEO of the church, which was established in 1669. Samuel Adams was a member and Benjamin Franklin was baptized there.

At one time, the church owned five copies of the 6-by-5-inch hymnal. One is now at the Library of Congress, another at Yale University and a third at Brown University.

More with picture at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Charlotte, North Carolina
    How cool is that! I'm a very frugal person, but if I had the money, I'd be bidding on that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Find Brian Shaffer!!

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~